Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weird Winter: To Fast or Not to Fast

Weird Winter: To Fast or Not to Fast

Well, I began fasting the koi on Christmas day. A 6-week fast does them good. But, this year the weather is not cooperating at all. Today it was in the mid-80sF, and the pond water temperature is in the mid-70sF. Usually by New Year's Day the pond will be in the 60s... sometimes even the low 60s. This evening the overnight low will be in the mid-60s ... but that's the air temperature! and tommorrow is predicted to be 84-85F.

A few days ago, I was getting uneasy about fasting when JR placed an excellent post on NI that reinforced the importance of imitating a winter season, even in Florida. But, it keeps getting warmer. So, my will power is giving way as the koi tell me that it's time for lots of food. I'm compromising, following a suggestion made by JR--- Instead of a complete fast, I'm feeding a one-half portion of sinking wheatgerm pellets once every other day. It is not much food, but it is something to move through their digestive system with the algae they are scrounging and a complete set of vitamins, etc. The hope is to have the same overall effect as a fast, without stressing the fish.

I have no idea how this will work. It's a weird winter.
    Last edited by MikeM; 01-07-2007 at 12:33 AM. Reason: typo

I think you put off your fast till the weather co-operates with cooler temps. In the mean time you continue to feed your koi sinking food in an amount that will keep up with their metabolism needs. It doesn't hurt them one bit to miss a meal especially as you say they have algea to feast on. I started my koi on their fast in the beginning of december and will end in around the middle of this month. It's a shortened period but I have an elderly koi that does not do well at temps in the low 50's so out of respect for her, I'll make it short. Already the other koi are looking leaner. i think like many things in life, we start out with a plan and adapt to what mother nature gives us!

I gave in yesterday and broke their fast by giving them a half portion of wheatgerm. As long as the pond temperature remains this high, I will probably feed them half portions a few times a week.

Tosai
    Do we have to fast our fish because my water temp. is around 42 and they are very active swimming everywhere and seem very hungry and wanting to eat what should I do?

Sactown,
    It is not a good idea to feed female koi this time of the year at 42 degrees F as overproduction of eggs may occur. If I understand it correctly.
    Mitch

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzyfish View Post
    Sactown,
    It is not a good idea to feed female koi this time of the year at 42 degrees F as overproduction of eggs may occur. If I understand it correctly.
    Mitch
    My fish are between one and two years old not quite at the breeding age yet is it still ok to feed?

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by sactownkoi View Post
    Do we have to fast our fish because my water temp. is around 42 and they are very active swimming everywhere and seem very hungry and wanting to eat what should I do?
    Would you rather have cold and hungry fish or just cold fish? It is not really cold enough in the Bay Area to stop feeding altogether. I am feeding once a day, smaller amounts.

Quote Originally Posted by sactownkoi View Post
    My fish are between one and two years old not quite at the breeding age yet is it still ok to feed?
    It probably won't hurt to feed sparingly, but at 42F they shouldn't be very hungry anyway.
    Mitch

Sanctimonious Ass - BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Well, I began fasting the koi on Christmas day. A 6-week fast does them good. But, this year the weather is not cooperating at all. Today it was in the mid-80sF, and the pond water temperature is in the mid-70sF. Usually by New Year's Day the pond will be in the 60s... sometimes even the low 60s. This evening the overnight low will be in the mid-60s ... but that's the air temperature! and tommorrow is predicted to be 84-85F.

A few days ago, I was getting uneasy about fasting when JR placed an excellent post on NI that reinforced the importance of imitating a winter season, even in Florida. But, it keeps getting warmer. So, my will power is giving way as the koi tell me that it's time for lots of food. I'm compromising, following a suggestion made by JR--- Instead of a complete fast, I'm feeding a one-half portion of sinking wheatgerm pellets once every other day. It is not much food, but it is something to move through their digestive system with the algae they are scrounging and a complete set of vitamins, etc. The hope is to have the same overall effect as a fast, without stressing the fish.

I have no idea how this will work. It's a weird winter.
    Don't you believe we have an increased threat from Aeromonas Alley down South with our warm winter as the pathogens are kicking between 40-60 degrees where our temps may dip while the koi resistance is similarly weakened? The food if not digested throughly results in increased susceptibility, etc. Aeromonas Alley can become an interstate highway instead.

winter feeding

It will be interesting to see what happens. I have 2 year and older adult females and younger. As Mike mentioned this winter is very warm and unpredictable. I stopped feeding a few weeks ago and off and on have feed a handfull or so of wheatgerm pellets. I continue to do this as the water temps stay above 54 degrees. I do not have a heater so the water temps will vary. I hope this routine will keep them strong.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast