Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you turn your pump off when backflushing your filter.

Don,
    I think moikoi does turn off his filters. Russ and Mike were the two your thinking about. Anyway I've been turning mine off. I just wanted to help inform others. I do use some submersible pumps in some quarantine tanks that seem incapable of producing enough pressure to damage the filters.
    Mitch
    PS
    I gotta admit I was doing the backwashing wrong, as far as the air blower part goes.

Mitch

After re-reading the info, you're actually talking about a PRE-FILTER/SETTLEMENT TANK - NOT AN ACTUAL BEAD FILTER. Don't you plumb this in the intake line BEFORE the pump? I've seen one of Lim's pressurized pre-filters in use. Customer had the whole sled system from Lim hooked up for about a year and a half. To me, there's so much pipng with 90o elbows, I could hardly figure out how the whole system worked. Of course, I think some of it had to do with the installer. But still, we yanked the whole thing out, installed an Ultima 10,000 with a 1/3 wave Dragon. The customer's water went from 4"visibility to crystal clear OVERNIGHT!!! Gee, wonder why?

Don

You're correct! Ultima says you need to turn the pump off. This covers their corporate arse in case someone can't turn the handle within a VERY SHORT amount time. But, we always recommend our customers follow those instructions too, just to protect their warranty. On another note, however, their instructions concerning the backwash routine suck! First, the so-called sight glass they include on the filter head does nothing as far as telling you how clear the water is. We automatically install a 1 1/2" or 2" sleeve of clear PVC in the waste line to allow for better visibility when cleaning the filter. Best thing we ever did. Our customers love it.

Mitch

Sorry, but I don't believe in having to use a blower to backwash a bead filter. If you need one, there is usually a design flaw asssociated with the filter/media used.

Mike

Tategoi
    Interesting stuff there Steve. Iíve never shut off the pump when operating bead filter valves unless the incoming lines were long enough to develop a water hammer. No big thing, I can start now.

Iím using an early Ultima II so thereís no site glass but the site glass units Iíve seen do a fine job. A clear length of PVC will do as well too.

Blowerís will do a better job of cleaning faster but not using a blower is fine as long as there is a rinse position.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzyfish View Post
    Well gosh Don. That's not the instuctions WLim includes with the Bio Wave filters. Start at the beginning of the thread and read it all. It's not that long.

Russ ,
    I thought Bio Wave was a W. Lim trademark.

Mitch
    If it is I would not know, that is why I asked. I do not buy anything from Lim.

Honmei
    Mitch

Sorry, but I don't believe in having to use a blower to backwash a bead filter. If you need one, there is usually a design flaw asssociated with the filter/media used.

Mike[/quote]

I agree with this 100%. This is one of the reasons I don't buy Lim products. Design flaws.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by koiczar View Post
    Mitch

After re-reading the info, you're actually talking about a PRE-FILTER/SETTLEMENT TANK - NOT AN ACTUAL BEAD FILTER. Don't you plumb this in the intake line BEFORE the pump? I've seen one of Lim's pressurized pre-filters in use. Customer had the whole sled system from Lim hooked up for about a year and a half. To me, there's so much pipng with 90o elbows, I could hardly figure out how the whole system worked. Of course, I think some of it had to do with the installer. But still, we yanked the whole thing out, installed an Ultima 10,000 with a 1/3 wave Dragon. The customer's water went from 4"visibility to crystal clear OVERNIGHT!!! Gee, wonder why?
    Mitch, do you have the BioWave Plus or the Pressurized Prescreen? Sounds like the Bio Wave Plus with has both a gate valve and multiport. I generally do not open the gate valve on mine while backwashing. You are correct in that the instructions are lacking. I generally turn the pump off - turn the handle to 'Rinse' allow the blower to aggitate the media for a minute - turn the blower off - then to backwash. I have found that works best for me. The gate valve is used merely to get the settlement on the bottom which I open every day for about 10 seconds - no more.

Mike, on the prescreen - it can go before or after the pump, depending on your setup. I have mine after the pump - does a descent job of getting what makes it through the skimmer and leaf basket.

www.wlimproducts.com (Our Products)

I love the Dragon pumps. www.wlimproducts.com It does say to turn off the pump here. The body of the instruction manual is less clear.

HOW TO BACKWASH THE BIO WAVE PLUS FILTER Note:
    It is recommended to turn the water pump OFFeach time, before turning the multiport’s dial.

1. Release the knife Gate Valve by lifting
    ....the handle of the Knife Gate valve.
    2. Turn the Multiport’s dial to the Backwash-
    ....position by pressing down the Mutiport’s handle.
    3. Turn ON the Air Blower for approximately -
    ....30-40 seconds.
    4. Turn OFF the Air Blower.
    5. Turn the Multiport’s dial to Rinse position by pressing
    ....down the Mutiport’s handle for approximately 30-40 seconds.
    6. Turn ON the Air Blower for approximately 30-40seconds.
    7. Turn OFF the Air Blower.
    8. Turn the Multiport’s dial to the Backwash position
    .... by pressing down the Mutiport’s handle for
    .... approximately 30-40 seconds. 9. Turn the Multiport’s dial to Filter Position
    .... by pressing down the Mutiport’s handle. 10. Filter Cleaning Process is Complete.
    Multiport Diagram of Bio Wave Plus Filter INSTALLATION DIAGRAM
    (from the water pump to the filter) | Home | What's New | Our Products | About Us | Tech Support | E-Mail | Back to the TOP|

Sansai
    I love the Dragon pumps. www.wlimproducts.com

HOW TO BACKWASH THE BIO WAVE PLUS FILTER Note:
    It is recommended to turn the water pump OFFeach time, before turning the multiportís dial.

1. Release the knife Gate Valve by lifting
    ....the handle of the Knife Gate valve.
    2. Turn the Multiportís dial to the Backwash-
    ....position by pressing down the Mutiportís handle.
    3. Turn ON the Air Blower for approximately -
    ....30-40 seconds.
    4. Turn OFF the Air Blower.
    5. Turn the Multiportís dial to Rinse position by pressing
    ....down the Mutiportís handle for approximately 30-40 seconds.
    6. Turn ON the Air Blower for approximately 30-40seconds.
    7. Turn OFF the Air Blower.
    8. Turn the Multiportís dial to the Backwash position
    .... by pressing down the Mutiportís handle for
    .... approximately 30-40 seconds. 9. Turn the Multiportís dial to Filter Position
    .... by pressing down the Mutiportís handle. 10. Filter Cleaning Process is Complete.
    Multiport Diagram of Bio Wave Plus Filter INSTALLATION DIAGRAM
    (from the water pump to the filter) | Home | What's New | Our Products | About Us | Tech Support | E-Mail | Back to the TOP|

Mitch, if you try it that way - when you get to 'rinse' you have NO WATER in which to rinse. At least in my actual experience - when you try to BACKWASH first - as soon as you turn the blower on - the water flushes the entire filter and the blower does no good. When you do the rinse first, about 3/4 of the water remains and really gets a great aggitation.

Tim,
    I've got two of the Bio Wave Pre-Filter/Settlement tanks (Model 60) run with 1/3HP Dragon pumps. I always wondered about the name, but this is what Elliot recommended after I explained my pond setup. I do have an 8' long filter brush section prior to one of the pumps. The other just comes from the pond to the pump then, I pump it through the Pre-filter up to the waterfall. I've never been real happy with the results. Thanks for explaining how you backflush. I'll try that, but I got the feeling I need a proper bead filter.
    Mitch

Jumbo
    Tim,
    I'll try that, but I got the feeling I need a proper bead filter.
    Mitch
    Mitch- Many people may feel they could even eliminate "bead" from your sentence.

Mickey the windowman

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast