Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Do you turn your pump off when backflushing your filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
    Even though I feel that the Ultima II filters can work as a stand alone filter, I think that Nancy's approach is absolutely the best way to use a pressurized filter.
    I also think that they can do the job as stand alone filters, on smaller ponds and low stocking levels. But feel that on large systems and high stocking levels, more filtration is needed. Besides you can never have to much filtration.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy M. View Post
    I also think that they can do the job as stand alone filters, on smaller ponds and low stocking levels. But feel that on large systems and high stocking levels, more filtration is needed. Besides you can never have to much filtration.
    "You can never have enough filtration" should be the mantra for the Koi world. It is what we should say when we wake up every morning.LOL

Russ,
    It's not necessarily how much filtration you have. It's how well do you maintain the filtration you do have. Some people can get by with less if they know what they are doing. Others can keep adding and still never figure out how to keep koi. I think Waddy makes this point in Koi2Kichi.
    Mitch

PS

I'm just now learning how to backflush a bead filter.

Quote Originally Posted by koiczar View Post
    Mitch

Don

You're correct! Ultima says you need to turn the pump off. This covers their corporate arse in case someone can't turn the handle within a VERY SHORT amount time. But, we always recommend our customers follow those instructions too, just to protect their warranty. On another note, however, their instructions concerning the backwash routine suck! First, the so-called sight glass they include on the filter head does nothing as far as telling you how clear the water is. We automatically install a 1 1/2" or 2" sleeve of clear PVC in the waste line to allow for better visibility when cleaning the filter. Best thing we ever did. Our customers love it.

Mike
    do they sell these clear PVC at home depot?

Quote Originally Posted by mitten View Post
    Mitch- Many people may feel they could even eliminate "bead" from your sentence.

Mickey the windowman
    yep...there are many hobbyist that hates the BEAD.

Quote Originally Posted by moikoi View Post
    do they sell these clear PVC at home depot?
    Try here:
    http://aquaticeco.resultspage.com/search?w=clear+pvc

The clear sight glasses can be purchased at your local swimming pool supply store. They are made by Hayward. Also, you can check on line at fancykoioutlet.com. Lem makes his own and they have unions on both ends for the same price as the Haywards which don't have unions.

Moi

I take it you live in the Bay Area. You could go to Fancy Koi and pick them up yourself. Best investment you'll make for your bead filter discharge.

Nancy

My Ultima was installed with the idea of mechanical use also. I have another system which has a vortex to bio. The Ultima picks up skimmer/bottom drain water via pump, back to the jets. The bio picks up mid-level water -filters-waterfall - pond. I do believe I get quite a bit of bio out of the Ultima however I don't rely on it for that. It's kinda a bonus.

Mike

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456