Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you turn your pump off when backflushing your filter.

Do you turn your pump off when backflushing your filter.

Anyone out there leave the pump on when backflushing their filters?
    Mitch

Banned
    I think you have to shut it off, change the setting and turn it on, and then off again, and then change the settings to clear, then off again, and change it back to normal, then turn the pump on again

I am not sure if I even got that right.

MCA
    If the filter in question is bead filter, indeed stop the pump before moving the valve to another position. If you check the manual for your filter I believe you will find such a recommendation. Proabably most bead filters have the manuals available online.

I've got the Bio Wave Model 60 Pressurized Prefilter/Settlement tank. I don't what is inside exactly, but it looks like bioballs and not biobeads on the picture. I have the owners manual, but I don't understand the gate valve operation. It says step one is to open the gate valve.(bottom drain) #2. Turn multiport to backwash. 3. Turn on air blower for 30-40 seconds. 4. Turn off air blower. 5. Turn to rinse. 6. Trun on air blower 30-40 seconds. 7. Turn off air. 8. Turn back to backwash 30-40 seconds. 9. Back to filter.

Anyone know how long the gate valve should be open? It says the filter only needs to be backwashed about every 4-weeks. It never builds up pressure, and never seems very dirty when I backwash. It says you may leave your pump on when backwashing, but you need to be careful the control valve doesn't slip into the closed position. It also makes it sound like it will be hard to turn the handle with the pump running, but you can do it. It's a little puzzling why it doesn't seem dirtier when I backwash.
    Mitch

Honmei

Multiport valves

Simply go out and take a look at the multiport valve (bead filters). Either on the label, or molded into the valve itself you will (should see) "turn opff pump before changing valve position" or similar wording. The reason is that with the pump on, there is added pressure against the gasket that turning while on can tear or reposition the gasket and cause failure.

Steve

Well I attached the general instructions in the owners manual. I did go and see the it stamped into the handle not to turn the valve while the pump was running, but it was not very obvious. I appreciate the response and don't mean to sound like a doubting Thomas, but as tight as these things get torqued down I don't see the main gasket slipping or even being torn. I guess it could blow out.
    Mitch
    PS
    If you leave the gate valve open it will never build up pressure. The instructions are not very clear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do you turn your pump off when backflushing your filter.-221_2195.jpg  

One thing is for sure. If you follow step one and don't reclose the valve, you don't have worry about blowing out the gasket. On this page it does say it recommends turning the pump off before changing the valve. Thanks.
    Mitch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do you turn your pump off when backflushing your filter.-221_2197.jpg  

Honmei

100% sure Mitch

Like many other things, learned it the hard way through the school of hard knocks. I also know of at least 3 other people that broke the internal handle spring. This resulted in the valve not closing properly in position and the draining or portions and in 1 case totally thier pond.

Steve

The school of hard knocks sure is a good teacher.
    Thanks again,
    Mitch

i do turn off the pump everytime when i change cycle on my Ultima II.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast