Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: beginner's bonsai

Marie . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Sangreaal View Post
    Another excellent thread hijacked by a Dee Dee Dee........................
    I'm calling BS, too.

In an attempt to get this tread back on track, I was given a bonsai book for Christmas: Indoor Bonsai For Beginners, by Werner M. Busch.

Any of you pros familiar with it? Any feedback?

there's lots of good books out for beginners, indoor or out. What has been annoying for me is why hasn't anyone written a bonsai book for advanced!

Jan: Mark Cooper ( they named the mini after him ) is like my best bud for bonsai. His wife, got me started on Cho Ju bai Quince ( the asagi of the bonsai world) I agree that you have some awesome ponderosa yamadori
    available....

My koi friend Pete gave me a Maple, so with the guidence for Keokoi I can study Bonsai first hand with the easiest tree for beginners to work with...Joe, repot this March or April right?

Thanks Gary, Joe and Jan. I will check out those forums tonight.

Eric, the first thing I learned about bonsai is to not buy a mass-produced mallsai. They are glued into the pot to keep everything from falling out when handled and are often not healthy enough to survive even with the best of care.

Thanks for the tip Don, but we try not to acquire real books any more. We are on a campaign to thin out as many books as possible because it has gotten ridiculous around here. Besides, they mildew badly in our climate. Our neighbor installed insulation and climate control in his library because he could not stand to watch them deteriorate. We decided to join the digital age instead.

-ste veh

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bekko View Post

Eric, the first thing I learned about bonsai is to not buy a mass-produced mallsai. They are glued into the pot to keep everything from falling out when handled and are often not healthy enough to survive even with the best of care.

Thanks for the tip Don, but we try not to acquire real books any more. We are on a campaign to thin out as many books as possible because it has gotten ridiculous around here. Besides, they mildew badly in our climate. Our neighbor installed insulation and climate control in his library because he could not stand to watch them deteriorate. We decided to join the digital age instead.

-ste veh
    I want to start my own bonsai, I want to start out with an acer.
    Do you have any photos of your bonsai, it would be our pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    My koi friend Pete gave me a Maple, so with the guidence for Keokoi I can study Bonsai first hand with the easiest tree for beginners to work with...Joe, repot this March or April right?

Umm No.. Best to repot when the buds are shiny. Not good to repot when it starts to leaf. You may have missed yer window to repot. So best thing is to wait. But if he buds are there and shiny.. You better bring it down to my place and we can repot it..

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by bekko View Post

Eric, the first thing I learned about bonsai is to not buy a mass-produced mallsai.

-ste veh
    Your on the right track Mass Produced small plants inan a pot do not mean its bonsai.. You are correct in the term mallsai.. As Dick Benbow has said. John Naka's book is good. Otherwise I would talk to kenneth about it.

Joe

[quote=lildude;74115]I want to start my own bonsai, I want to start out with an acer.
    quote]

An Acer what? Many different types of Acer out there. Some a bit more rare..

Joe

Here are a few of the Bonsai we looked at while we were in Japan. Perhaps Joe can give some input into these. One of them was $10,000 USD.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails beginner's bonsai-img_3115.jpg   beginner's bonsai-img_3117.jpg   beginner's bonsai-img_3120.jpg   beginner's bonsai-img_3122.jpg   beginner's bonsai-img_3119.jpg  

beginner's bonsai-img_3124.jpg  

Banned
    [quote=keokoi;74118]
    Quote Originally Posted by lildude View Post
    I want to start my own bonsai, I want to start out with an acer.
    quote]

An Acer what? Many different types of Acer out there. Some a bit more rare..

Joe
    Acer Japonicas?
    I am just guessing from my memory, I dont even know if that is a real latin name.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast