Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Most expensive Koi in the world

Jumbo
    Rich People from Asian countries like Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia, are very different when come to this hobby. Firstly, majority of the rich showcase their wealth by throwing away $$$. they macho selves cannot afford the slightest chance of losing face, so everything goes. It is not suprsing that these bunch of people are pushing up koi prices.

Secondly, secondly,, hmm, too dangerous to discuss publicly, so data sealed under court order.

In short, recent uptick of koi prices does not reflect the reality, it is highly inflated at the top.

stan

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kindai View Post
    Hi, Koiczar. If we could afford, How much would you like to spend for these tosai? They are from Dainichi

I would really love to see a picture for $40K tosai from the auctions of the afforementioned breeders.... Do you have any pics?
    Hi Super

Answer to first question - I would not spend a dime for either TOSAI! I have been burned enough times on tosai to know there's even a greater risk involved. I would rather spend a little more (if necessary) and buy nisai or sansai. If the breeder is willing to keep the fish for at least two or three seasons, he saw value in doing so. At nisai or especially sansai, you have a much better chance of getting something that will hold up for a few years.

Second question answer - No, I don't have any pics but I would think you could go to there websites and see representative fish of the quality the sell at the auctions.

Stan

You're right on with your assessment of what's/who's driving up the prices over the past few years! I saw someone at the All Japan Show hand over 2.8 million yen to a dealer for fish had purchased which were in the show. And from what I overheard him say, that was only partial payment!! He is from one of the countries you mentioned!

As far as the fish mentioned at Ikarashi Kazuto's, I saw a Yonsai Sanke in his big $$ pond in Fall '05 that was 12 million yen. That's close to $100 grand!!!!!!

Mike

kinda takes us back to our school days and the application of the law of supply and demand.

I have been on buying trips with some top Canadian,UK and American hobbyists that took prices into the 6 figures.Each one had dreams of entering their purchases in the AJS. Want to know a secret? I don't believe a single one ever took tops in it's class. It's all about the hope/dream....not so much about the reality.

Personally I'm glad that somewhere in this world, there are those with excess wealth that can keep the top japanese breeders involved in refining their trade. otherwise we'd not have anything to compare our purchases against.

I can't help but wonder if these resources would be applied toward the cure for cancer or aids, how much sooner we'd see that accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    kinda takes us back to our school days and the application of the law of supply and demand.

I have been on buying trips with some top Canadian,UK and American hobbyists that took prices into the 6 figures.Each one had dreams of entering their purchases in the AJS. Want to know a secret? I don't believe a single one ever took tops in it's class. It's all about the hope/dream....not so much about the reality.

Personally I'm glad that somewhere in this world, there are those with excess wealth that can keep the top japanese breeders involved in refining their trade. otherwise we'd not have anything to compare our purchases against.

I can't help but wonder if these resources would be applied toward the cure for cancer or aids, how much sooner we'd see that accomplished.

Amen Dick, Amen. Gotta wonder when the conscience kicks in and says..I can help cure illnesses and feed thousands of starving people...or buy a pretty fish to brag about!!! Don't want to start a major debate...spend your money as you see fit. It is sometimes nice and more satisfying to help those in need. Just adding a little perspective...thats all.

Jumbo
    Om-Ah-hom (the Tibetan buddist equivalent to Amen), Many who spend big on koi are not that into charity, for sure. Everytime I look at koi, I have to to keep reminding myself that this stuff that swims in front of me is trying hard to get humanity out of my soul.

alah akhbar.

stan

I think one has to ask themselves this: "Am I educated enough to understand the price of the koi in any price range?"

Good point Tonio!!

Quote Originally Posted by saratogatan View Post
    Rich People from Asian countries like Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia, are very different when come to this hobby. Firstly, majority of the rich showcase their wealth by throwing away $$$. they macho selves cannot afford the slightest chance of losing face, so everything goes. It is not suprsing that these bunch of people are pushing up koi prices.

Secondly, secondly,, hmm, too dangerous to discuss publicly, so data sealed under court order.

In short, recent uptick of koi prices does not reflect the reality, it is highly inflated at the top.

stan
    corruption money ....and you can add China to that list.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    I think one has to ask themselves this: "Am I educated enough to understand the price of the koi in any price range?"
    What about understanding the quality of the Koi in any price range.

This is the one I would like to own , if money is not a problem .
    Does anyone know what happened to that koi ?

2001 AJS GC

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast