Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Most expensive Koi in the world

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    This is the one I would like to own , if money is not a problem .
    Does anyone know what happened to that koi ?

2001 AJS GC
    If my memory is correct, She had died shortly after that's koi show...
    A friend of mine told me that her condition was bad, even couldn't swin normally at that time...

Jumbo
    [quote=koiczar;75927]Hi Super

Answer to first question - I would not spend a dime for either TOSAI! I have been burned enough times on tosai to know there's even a greater risk involved. I would rather spend a little more (if necessary) and buy nisai or sansai. If the breeder is willing to keep the fish for at least two or three seasons, he saw value in doing so. At nisai or especially sansai, you have a much better chance of getting something that will hold up for a few years.

I agree with you, Koiczar. Problem is that if fish has everything, Body, Quality and Pattern at nisai & specialy sansai, then $$ would be sky rocket easily 5 figures for sure.... they won't miss it.

By the way, I like your avatar Kohaku.

[quote=Super Kindai;75985]
    Quote Originally Posted by koiczar View Post
    Hi Super

Answer to first question - I would not spend a dime for either TOSAI! I have been burned enough times on tosai to know there's even a greater risk involved. I would rather spend a little more (if necessary) and buy nisai or sansai. If the breeder is willing to keep the fish for at least two or three seasons, he saw value in doing so. At nisai or especially sansai, you have a much better chance of getting something that will hold up for a few years.

I agree with you, Koiczar. Problem is that if fish has everything, Body, Quality and Pattern at nisai & specialy sansai, then $$ would be sky rocket easily 5 figures for sure.... they won't miss it.

By the way, I like your avatar Kohaku.
    Thanks

Just picked her out at Maruyama's in January. She's a jumbo nisai at 58cm!!

Mike

Jumbo
    [quote=koiczar;75986]
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kindai View Post

Thanks

Just picked her out at Maruyama's in January. She's a jumbo nisai at 58cm!!

Mike
    Wow. I love Maruyama's (Kagura blood) beni. I won't surprize by 50-55cm at nisai but 58cm is great !!

SK

Very nice kohaku! Even though this appears to be a photoshopped pic, the evenness of the beni is evident. Let me guess - 2 year old, about 50cm and male?

Mike

Daihonmei
    Actually, I think that the days of the 17- 19 million yen koi are over? Once upon a time, there were one or two individuals in each prefecture of Japan that would pay 15-19 million yen for a fish. And many big winner koi were in the 6 - 12 million yen range back then. But today, most of those individuals are gone from the scene.
    But what is interesting is there are MANY more fish sold for 2.5- 6 million yen then every before I think? And in some breeder's retail shops, it seems everything worth anything is now 1 - 2 million yen?
    I think part of this is people spend more money on their hobbies today than every before. But at the same time, the hobby and the hobbyist has matured and the concept of 'cut flower' is understood better, and by more people, than it was 15 years ago. So we have more 'mad money' but not as much 'foolish money'? JR

Quote Originally Posted by saratogatan View Post
    Rich People from Asian countries like Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia, are very different when come to this hobby. Firstly, majority of the rich showcase their wealth by throwing away $$$. they macho selves cannot afford the slightest chance of losing face, so everything goes. It is not suprsing that these bunch of people are pushing up koi prices.

Secondly, secondly,, hmm, too dangerous to discuss publicly, so data sealed under court order.

In short, recent uptick of koi prices does not reflect the reality, it is highly inflated at the top.

stan
    So JR

Would you classify these countries' spending as "mad money" or "foolish money".

My opinion would be foolish money as they now have caught the "bug" and want to show off their wealth by throwing their money around!

Mike

Daihonmei
    I'd say both. Some guys are making tons and just want what they want. And certainly I've seen a lot of the 'keeping up with the Jones' in many of the countries mentioned.
    I don't know how many people realize this but ZNA is kind of like a Lions or a Mooses club in most of Asia. Many VERY wealthy business men network within their hobby- not unlike golf or yatching. When someone wins , say the National ZNA show in Taiwan, it just cost them a LOT of money! The winner picks up much of the tab for the show by donating money to the organization.
    Recently it was said that a former owner of a fish that won a major Japanese show sold the fish to another hobbyist some time before it was ready to be shown because he knew he could not afford to pay for the expenses associated with the winning of that show- including donations and the entire expense of several parties afterwards. And he did not want to loose face, as the fish was known and expected to be shown, so selling was the only way out .

So if you are filthy rich and couldn't care less about $120,000 for a fish, $50,000 in donations for the win, paying for two parties the size of small weddings--- then go for it! mad money or foolish money? Either way, it is a great big pile of money! JR

The most expensive Koi

I'll take a little different tack at this subject.

I of of the most expensive koi I ever bought was a $400 Tosai tancho showa. I bought it about 1993 and it was the most money I had ever spent for a baby koi. I really wanted a tancho showa and when I saw this one I was really wanted it but was scared that it would lose it's tancho and become worthless.

(This is the BS the koi dealer told me but since I was a newby in koi I didn't know he was lying at the time) The dealer told me that it would not lose it's tancho because the parent koi were both tanchos. Tancho's with tancho parents are much more stable and will not fade away nearly as often. When I still hesitated he said he would guarantee the tancho for 1 year. If it dissapeared before then he would refund my money. So I bought it and you guessed it the tancho faded away that first summer. I called for my refund and was told I misunderstood that he would never guarantee a tancho. I have since found out that no one breds tancho babies using tancho parents. Deal with dealers/breeders you trust or buddy with a more experienced koi person to help guide you.

So another way to look at koi expense is how much enjoyment you get out of the fish over a period of time. A $400 koi that starts to lose it's color right away is a much worst investment than a $2,000 koi that grows and improves and gives years & years of enjoyment.

Daihonmei
    That's good advise Ray.

The way objectively to determine if a koi is very expensive or not is really NOT by the price. It is how many 'enjoyment days' you get out of the fish for the money!

So if you pay $3,800 for a koi that lasted only one year, then breaks down or develops signs of age, then that was a high price ! The price divided by days of enjoyment results in a high price per day rate. In this case, $10 a day!
    If however, you paid 6,000 for a koi and it improved and then held up for six more years that is a bargin rate per day of enjoyment an therefore , an economic success. About $2.50 a day!

Obviously the more expensive fish is a better value.

And of course, spending $200 for pure tateshita is just throwing money away from the get-go

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast