Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Most expensive Koi in the world

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by moikoi View Post
    corruption money ....and you can add China to that list.
    NO, you don't show off your corruption money. However, money can be made using very different methods, if you will, in many Asian contries, if you have the right connection and gut. Just for a starter, A guy made away the equivalent of $3B USD from a few public companies, including banks, in Taiwan. He is about 80 now. His hobby was not koi but rumored to be young good looking women. He is now in the hand of US custom awaiting deportation hearing.

I have lived long enough to this day to not judge a person based on how he feed himself on the table, let alone how they dress. Too many of these are looking for their next meal, and you may well be on their menu.

stan

Tosai
    1.3 Milion $ sounds wrong?

Anyone knows for sure? Maybe someone got friends in Malaysia or whereelse people spend the most for koi.

I would start at the GC 2007 - any price for that fish?
    What about GC 2006 - My memory tells me something about 87.000 pound......

grze

Fry

most expensive koi

Quote Originally Posted by hauliau View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I wonder if you guys have any article or picture of koi that cost over six figures.
    I tried to google around it, but couldn't find anything.
    Thanks
    I heard the most expensive koi changed hands in Japan for £2 million pounds (may have been 2 million $) but hat was about 5 years ago. A top breeder bought it, and I guess it was a great bit of publicity, "I stock the best" etc.
    I'd pay the earth for a koi, as long as I knew someone was going to buy it from me and I'd make a profit, thats what trading is about.

I was at a show in the UK, selling average tiny koi, and the british champion died along with 5 or so others of good quality. The champ was bought for £40,000 in Japan, and it was reckoned to be worth £70,000 after it won the title. They closed the show down, except for the selling section I was in. This fish may not have got in the top ten in Japan

I rather doubt that a breeder would pay a record price for a koi. Breeders much better than all of us know the risks involved in buying koi. When breeders sell a top quality koi they often make a condition of the deal the option to buy the koi back after it peaks for ~ 50% of the original selling price. They also will trade koi with other breeders and hobbyists to get new breeding stock.

Buying a unproven koi for breeding purposes is about high risk as it gets. The koi may not prove capable of breeding or the offspring might all be junk or just early bloomers. Most often the offspring of Grand Champion koi are disappointing however the bragging rights to owning a daughter or grand daughter of a All Japan Show Champion seems to be worth a lot to many hobbyists.
    Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

Jumbo
    I suspect I know the Koi referred to, we all do, can't comment on the price although I'd suggest whether £ or US$ way over.

The story of the Koi concerned is well known and would have been outside of any such prior negotiations regarding breeding etc.

The UK story likewise is well known, a Koi increasing in value after it's left Japan because it has a plastic trophy? I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by markgardner View Post
    *** a Koi increasing in value after it's left Japan because it has a plastic trophy? I doubt it.

....unless somebody got convinced by a honey-tongued dealer that it was worth more?

I remember going to Momotaro back before the whole KHV. Meadasan was bowling Sanke at different price ranges and I remember him bowling one Sanke that was in the six figure range....Couldnt get a pic of it since there were many people around it....Nice Sanke thou.

Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by RayJordan View Post
    I rather doubt that a breeder would pay a record price for a koi. Breeders much better than all of us know the risks involved in buying koi. When breeders sell a top quality koi they often make a condition of the deal the option to buy the koi back after it peaks for ~ 50% of the original selling price. They also will trade koi with other breeders and hobbyists to get new breeding stock.

Buying a unproven koi for breeding purposes is about high risk as it gets. The koi may not prove capable of breeding or the offspring might all be junk or just early bloomers. Most often the offspring of Grand Champion koi are disappointing however the bragging rights to owning a daughter or grand daughter of a All Japan Show Champion seems to be worth a lot to many hobbyists.
    hi Ray, I doubt very much if a breeder would even consider taking the risk of breeding from a fish with that much value. I presumed that the company just bought it for bragging rights. I'll see if I can find out the koi company that bought it.

Is anyone willing to name or have a picture of said million (insert currency here) koi?

expensive koi

here are some of my el-cheapo fish. I dont need hi-priced fish to keep in my backyard All under $5 usd. spawned 2 years in a row! I'm happy with them! They are happy in pond too!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Most expensive Koi in the world-snapshot8.jpg   Most expensive Koi in the world-snapshot64.jpg  

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast