Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Bonsai At Central Florida Koi Show !

Bonsai At Central Florida Koi Show !

Well, all the bonsai afficionados on the board got me energized. We will be having Schley's Bonsai from Holly Hill, FL as a vendor at the show in Orlando. Jason Schley committed today. I may have to sleep in his booth to assure security for a particularly expensive specimen he plans to bring, but we provide security for the koi, so why not a tree?

Seriously, we've not had a bonsai vendor in my memory. I thank every one on the board. The enthusiasm for mixing koi and bonsai got me motivated to search until I found someone. And, Jason likes koi, too. It will be a great addition to the variety of merchants. I'm already thinking there must be a place somewhere in my garden for a granite lantern imported from Japan and a bonsai Bald Cypress.

Smile

Excellent news, Jason is a up and coming star with excellent plant material and a good sense of the hobby.

glad to see you qualified the lantern as being imported from japan. All my stone stuff was manufactured in vietnam,tho imported from japan per their specs, as i understand they don't make em anymore in japan because of spiraling costs. Altho I think you can still get Cypress Locally grown

Tosai
    Hey Michael, if they are from Holly Hill then they are almost in my back yard. I'll have to by for a visit! Joe CFKS2007 Co-chair

Yep. Not too far from you. Jason Schley was telling me a little about what he does... way over my head. I don't think it would be a good idea for me to start with a specimen tree. Kinda like starting into koi with GC level fish, I think. Too much of an investment for the beginner. He will be bringing some lesser trees for people who are interested in the real thing, but not wanting "investment grade"... something to grow into, you might say.
    Last edited by MikeM; 02-18-2007 at 09:00 AM. Reason: typo

I think his instincts are good. Whenever our bonsai club has gone places like the flower and garden show, all the classics show up that are hundreds of years old, but you know, that doesn't bring about interest with new members.
    It looks far too difficult, expensive etc for beginners. I think any hobby should be realitively easy to feel comfortable getting into so that it has a natural progression to advance.

Exactly Dick, now you know how I feel when I slowly peek over the side of the exhibition tubs at Koi Shows, only to see koi that drop me to my knees in awe. I come home and wish my fish would have a revolt and leave . Ignorance is bliss.

Sansai
    Bill D at Mystic has had bonsai at his Koi Festival for a while now. It's a nice addition and fits well with the koi.
    Dwight

Sansai
    One of our members in the Camellia Koi Club also belongs to a bonsai club. At last year's Sacramento Koi Show, we had a booth size space that could not be used as a vendor booth so at almost the last minute she was able to get several of her club members and officers to bring in some plants and staff the booth. They received excellent exposure with a hugh number of visitors stopping by to ask questions and just look.

Mike I strongly believe that you will be very pleased with the addition of a bonsai vendor to your show. If there is a local club ask them if they would like to display some literature or even if you have the space plants.

Steve

wondering if Japan keeps sending us refresh for our koi and akadama for our bonsai if they'll run of of land soon? LOL!