Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: CFKS: Dragonfly & Koi

CFKS: Dragonfly & Koi

My wife, Susan, is an avid quilter, which has led her into the world of "Fibre Art". She has won several awards, most recently a prestigious purchase award of the Maitland Art Center, which has turned a multi-media fibre piece into a logo postcard sold to fund the Center's subsidy of its artist-in-residence community.

She has made several pieces for charity auctions, and now has turned her hand to benefit KHV research. She has adapted a design of Stephen Seifert entitled "Dragonfly Pond" to be a wall-hanging. It is being donated to the Central Florida Koi Show for auction, with the proceeds going to benefit the show and the KHV Fund.

This is the nearly finished piece... only nearly finished, because Susan is not quite satisfied with the dragonfly's wings, and she is still searching for the "right" beads for eyes of the Koi, and she says the beadwork on the body of the dragonfly requires some finishing. But, she assures it will be done in time for auction on Saturday March 10... but you gotta be at the show to bid.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CFKS: Dragonfly & Koi-dsc00245.jpg  

Nice! I'm sure that will help raise some much needed funds for Project KHV.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    My wife, Susan, is an avid quilter, which has led her into the world of "Fibre Art". She has won several awards, most recently a prestigious purchase award of the Maitland Art Center, which has turned a multi-media fibre piece into a logo postcard sold to fund the Center's subsidy of its artist-in-residence community.

She has made several pieces for charity auctions, and now has turned her hand to benefit KHV research. She has adapted a design of Stephen Seifert entitled "Dragonfly Pond" to be a wall-hanging. It is being donated to the Central Florida Koi Show for auction, with the proceeds going to benefit the show and the KHV Fund.

This is the nearly finished piece... only nearly finished, because Susan is not quite satisfied with the dragonfly's wings, and she is still searching for the "right" beads for eyes of the Koi, and she says the beadwork on the body of the dragonfly requires some finishing. But, she assures it will be done in time for auction on Saturday March 10... but you gotta be at the show to bid.
    Now I know I am sorry we can't make it. I hope you raise a lot of money with the quilt.

Susan is very talented! Look forward to bidding.

Wow...nice work. She needs to start selling those to us koi-kichi types.

As an art major in school and someone who wanted to be an art teacher, I can appreciate the talent displayed here. Beautiful! A work of art is rarely perfect in the eye of the originator, always something needed to be done.
    Tho many of us will not have the opportunity to be on hand ,we can appreeciate the love and talent that went into making the piece and the great purpose to do so......I can assure folks that once you take something you love and turn it into a business/commercial effort, it changes things and the way you look at your creations, often the passion wanes....so we just need to appreciate these opportunities....

Mike,

Lovely lovely artwork by your wife! And lucky the person that ends up with it gracing their wall. Beautiful color combinations, and really love that hanger it's on--shows it off wonderfully.

Marie

Sansai
    Your wife does some beautiful work....unfortunately I don't think my pockets are deep enough. That piece of work should fetch a fortune.

I don't know about a fortune, but I hope it does well for a good cause.

Jumbo
    This is absolutely georgous work!! As someone who has sewn for many years, I can appreciate all the work that went into it. DH and I will be there!! Hopefully I'll get a chance to bid on it!!