Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: okay...a stupid KHV question....

okay...a stupid KHV question....

if his/her pond temp never stay in mid 70's for 10-14 consecutive days....koi might have KHV without the owner ever finding out ?

I'm sure others more knowledgeable will chime in, but to my knowledge a Koi kept in cool waters can live for years as a KHV carrier without ever presenting a single symptom. Being a herpes type virus, it only becomes evident during optimal conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    I'm sure others more knowledgeable will chime in, but to my knowledge a Koi kept in cool waters can live for years as a KHV carrier without ever presenting a single symptom. Being a herpes type virus, it only becomes evident during optimal conditions.
    Our temperature only goes above 70 in the short summer period so in the last 5years I got my fish from just 2 sources . If a person is going to pick up fish here and there the chances of KHV are going to be much higher . I think of it the same as HIV but I do not think it is as detectable . In Britain the winter might be warmer but I do not think that most koi ponds will be above seventy during the summer and I lived there for 10 years
    Regards
    Eugene

Honmei

Here's what you do

Blood serology testing will let you know if the koi has had a previous exposure. The current research shows that the testing is good for a period of 6 months post exposure and in the very near future additional information may or may not indicate that this testing is good for almost 1.5 years post exposure. This research is still in its infancy stages and as time goes on may have even longer term benefits. There was a great article on the process written by Dr. Richard Porter MD in the January issue of KOI USA.

Steve

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by moikoi View Post
    if his/her pond temp never stay in mid 70's for 10-14 consecutive days....koi might have KHV without the owner ever finding out ?
    yes. KHV emerges as temp fluctiates from 50 to 72 in couple days. without it , you never know. but it keep for itseft, next year at spring time (50 to 70) it may reoccur again and spread out.

Honmei

Not exactly accurate

yes. KHV emerges as temp fluctiates from 50 to 72 in couple days. without it , you never know. but it keep for itseft, next year at spring time (50 to 70) it may reoccur again and spread out.

KHV may or may NOT emmerge. Heat cycling is not the answer here and can give a false sense of security.

Steve

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi View Post
    KHV may or may NOT emmerge. Heat cycling is not the answer here and can give a false sense of security.

Steve
    thanks, Mr Steve, that something i need to rethink since i have KHV wipes out my whole pond last spring. And even rethink when i reread KOIVET. thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi View Post

Steve
    if the koi been serology tested at the dealers,do the hobbyist still need to heat cycle the fish for 6-8 weeks?. i mean way bother? since it is only false sense of security

Honmei

What to do

if the koi been serology tested at the dealers,do the hobbyist still need to heat cycle the fish for 6-8 weeks?. i mean way bother? since it is only false sense of security
    I "probably" wouldn't heat cycle. BUT, just like QT, personally I would do my own serology testing. Why? Because it is possible that the koi may have gotten inadvertantly exposed after the serology testing at the dealers. Also, do you know 100% for sure that the dealer did the serology testing?

Steve

thanks Steve for bringing some reality to what is going on with KHV. In my talks and travels I'm really concerned that lots of folks don't get it..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast