Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Pet owners please look (dog and cat)

Pet owners please look (dog and cat)

yeah, its not koi related. But, many people on this board have Dogs and Cats. Just wanted to warn people here to be careful with this.
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/17/pet....ap/index.html
    I figured it couldn't hurt to show it here...and then it can be removed later.

Honmei
    I am fasting my dogs right now for the winter months, but soon I will start feeding them.

Wow! That's an interesting coincidence, we fed our old dog that inexpensive store brand kibble, and she did die from kidney failure. I'm pretty sure it was one of those brands. Hey, maybe I need to sue someone! No just kidding.

With our current dog we decided to feed good "quality" food.
    Well now she has chronic ear infection from food allergies. She ate Nutromax which is supposed to be really good food, but I see it on the list too.
    Now we feed her two or three different types of organic type foods, and switch off so she's not eating the same kind all the time, which is what caused the food allergy in the first place, according to the vet. Gosh darn dog food is now almost as expensive as the koi food!
    Barb

Santa Clara Valley Koi & Water Garden Club

http://www.sckoi.com

Zen Nippon Airinkai Nor-Cal Chapter

http://www.znanorcal.org

good to know, thanks!

I'm glad you posted this!

BTW my husband is only in charge of feeding fish, not our kids or dogs

Thanks for posting that, Bob

Well, I'm relieved to see that it was only the wet feed this time that is a problem. I make my own wet feeds for the cats and dogs here, so no risk. A couple of months ago though, it was kibble, and luckily I found out about it right when I needed to go buy another month's worth of rations.

Marie

One of my sister's cats died of kidney failure after she switched wet food brands several years ago. She was crushed, despite having a half-dozen spare cats around the house. Her vet said a lot of such incidents were being reported, but nobody knew exactly what the problem was and they couldn't prove it. Without a definitive cause-and-effect no one could do anything about it. They still do not understand what is going on, but they have enough evidence to definitively link it to the wet food.

I no longer feel guilty about scooping out dry kibble and tell them to take it or leave it.

s t

I once had a problem with a brand called solid gold. I used it for a while. A new bag of kibble and my dogs vomited for hours. The company issued an apology in a dog magazine that there production accidentally added too much Flaxseed oil. Never used it again. I use Hills science diet (chicken and rice) now..no problems thus far, and I like the way their coat looks. I feed kibble and add table food to entice them (not bad table food...roast chicken, beef, turkey..etc). Scary about the wet food though

Russ, over time i have come to appreciate your sense of humor....as they say in japan......oregato Jumbo-san!

Humor aside let's take another look at this thread.....for one manufacturer
    there were plenty of different "brand names' associated with the recall. What that tells you is that while different companies may have different receipes, it still all funnels thru one facility, with changes coming after each run. Now take this knowledge and apply it to many ( not all ) companies that offer koi food and wa-lal ( or if your french-oo-la-la ) you also have a similar situation.