Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Rip Rap Concrete

Rip Rap Concrete

Heavy equipment is on it's way and the ponds are soon to be dug. I have the opportunity to glean a large pile of rip rap concrete and was considering using it along the edge of a pond so the grade can be steeper.

Question: Will old broken concrete change my water parameters, and what can or will it do? The flat smooth side will be facing out so no jagged edges will be present to injure fish if they decide to play chicken with it--my biggest concern is maintaining water quality.

If it'll mess up my water chemistry I'll just use the stuff for my apothecary garden and nix the idea. But if I can use it on a steeper grade than I would otherwise dig for the ponds, I'd like to use it to limit the amount of shallows I'd have if I did a gentler grade.

We'll start digging on Monday.

Marie
    Marie

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/koi-gr...wout-form.html

"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and
    paints his own nature into his pictures."
    --Henry Ward Beecher

anaerobic areas

I think one of the things to consider is that if it is put in loosely, that you will have too many anaerobic areas.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by karipeters View Post
    I think one of the things to consider is that if it is put in loosely, that you will have too many anaerobic areas.
    I'll consider that, Kari.

They'll have earth filling the cracks between--I envision it looking like a flat stone wall on a slant for the edge of the mud pond.

I know new concrete has to be sealed or will leach for years, but old broken concrete....will it leach, or is it's leaching years over?

Marie

pass the buck...

that's a good question for Russssty...
    I'll defer to him!

I've used old cement bricks to support my center Shelter and have found no leaching, but couldn't say on slabs. I'd think if they are pretty old, then probably no leaching left! Hard to say though once its broken and exposes new surface! Maybe soaking one in something for a few day's and then testing the water to see???

Quote Originally Posted by Tamianth View Post
    I've used old cement bricks to support my center Shelter and have found no leaching, but couldn't say on slabs. I'd think if they are pretty old, then probably no leaching left! Hard to say though once its broken and exposes new surface! Maybe soaking one in something for a few day's and then testing the water to see???
    That's a good idea, Kathy

[

Question: Will old broken concrete change my water parameters, and what can or will it do? The flat smooth side will be facing out so no jagged edges will be present to injure fish if they decide to play chicken with it--my biggest concern is maintaining water quality.

It is against the law here to use concrete bricks or slabs on waterways leading in to Lake Ontario .Granite rocks or stones have to be used because of leaching Where erosion has occurred I have used cemment bricks but filled over with clay my PH is a little below 7 . You would have to check what addetives have been added to the cemment . My biggest concern was when the fish were startled they could get a serious scrape so used the clay and one inch stone . Then my mud pond is in my garden so I would not want unsightly cemment as well it makes it nearly impossible for netting fish .
    Regards
    Eugene

Why is concrete leaching an issue? How many unlined concrete ponds, filters, hatcheries can you count? You might get some benefit out of the buffering it would add to your pond during the late summer. Nothing like feeding hard all Spring and Summer and then seeing 110 F highs to peak a bloom at a pH of 10+. Your largest problems are going to be eventual maintenance of the banks, seining and the inevitable physical damage to your fish and equipment. It's not worth the effort Marie.

Honmei
    I agree with Richard, the biggest problem with the concrete would be problems with seining, maintenance and potential damage to the Koi. You would not have any problems with leaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rombold View Post
    Why is concrete leaching an issue? How many unlined concrete ponds, filters, hatcheries can you count? You might get some benefit out of the buffering it would add to your pond during the late summer. Nothing like feeding hard all Spring and Summer and then seeing 110 F highs to peak a bloom at a pH of 10+. Your largest problems are going to be eventual maintenance of the banks, seining and the inevitable physical damage to your fish and equipment. It's not worth the effort Marie.
    All really good points. Thank you, Richard.

Think I'll put it to better use in the apothocary and patio and go with gentler slopes in the ponds as I had originally intended. Once installed, I agree that it would be a bear to do maintenance on if it ever had to be moved or there was a cave in, etc. Not to mention that doing it in the first place would take a lot of hand work to make it smooth.

You're all very right, Richard, Russ, Eugene.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Happy St. Patty's Day

Marie