Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trick to avoid Bakki Shower

I will take a try at the process. Sounds like water is being spilled over clay pot chards before entering the pond rather than a free fall out of a 3 inch pipe.
    Water is "thin", having a lower viscosity than lets say honey. Water will deform in shape under shear stress. With fluid friction, water running over many flat surfaces, the water is "thinned" out. There is a much greater surface area in contact with atmosphere allowing greater respiration or gassing. So water viscosity allows for thin sheeting, if the situation allows, which in turn allows for higher respiration. There ia a new filter manufactured in Europe the works on this principle.

Oh! I think I get it--running the water over a large surface area after filtration and creating a longer path back to the pond allows much greater degassing potential than simply running or spraying it back into the pond in smaller streams. More surface area of moving water = increased degassing.

Did I understand this correctly, Mojo? Do you have any pics to share?

Marie

Tosai
    Is this not like a waterfall?

Stuart

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by kingkong View Post
    I will take a try at the process. Sounds like water is being spilled over clay pot chards before entering the pond rather than a free fall out of a 3 inch pipe.
    Water is "thin", having a lower viscosity than lets say honey. Water will deform in shape under shear stress. With fluid friction, water running over many flat surfaces, the water is "thinned" out. There is a much greater surface area in contact with atmosphere allowing greater respiration or gassing. So water viscosity allows for thin sheeting, if the situation allows, which in turn allows for higher respiration. There ia a new filter manufactured in Europe the works on this principle.
    mr King kong, you nail the degas process. water get to be real thin, my pot is 16 " high, enough to degas, my path is only 1 feet long, at first, i make some kind of comb to separate water, but without it, still fine. i put some oyster shell on the path that all. the pot wall is vertical, so water kind of slide over it. i hope i can have picture to all you see, right now, i have 4 selfbakki like that, all easy to do, cost under $100 each, clean once per week. I do not believe on complicate device. The more simple, the less trouble down the road.

Daihonmei
    I see. Like this? JR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trick to avoid Bakki Shower-closeuptowers.jpg  

Nah. JR: The key is the clay the pot is made from.

[That's a joke, folks.]

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Nah. JR: The key is the clay the pot is made from.

[That's a joke, folks.]
    Mike
    I think that there is a lot of truth in most jokes as I can not see any relation to a baki shower so how could it replace a baki shower . In fact the baki shower is a suppliment the real filtration is a large intake from the river . When I was in Florida I visited Anglel hatchery they do not use any filtration they just pump 12.5 million gal a month through their tanks . The best filtration is to change the water and for degassing I spray in a mist form or let the water trickle over rocks that are 10ft high that helps to warm the well water .If there is a ammonia spike I just open the tap more .
    Regards
    Eugene

Daihonmei
    Well first off, that's not filtration, that's an open system. And second of all, degassing of a closed system is actually different than degassing say ground water from a clean source. But that aside, I've also been to Angel hatchery many years ago now- Are you saying they are pumping thru 17,300 gallons an hour? 24 X7, 365 days a year? JR

Sounds like a perfectly simple system to me. Like you said, it isn't a bakki, it is a cheap way to accomplish the same thing while avoiding the high cost. Dr. Roddy has posted pictures of a similar principle using upflow columns with lavarock exteriors for the water to spill down as it comes out of the top. Anything that will expose agitated water to open air will serve to degass and aerate. In our pond we use a stream bed with plenty of rocks to break up the flow to do much the same. Your simple filter accomplishes much in a very compact space.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Daihonmei
    Maybe. But these is a science to these things and there is a bank of experience dating back to the 1950s that repeatly shows a difference between trickle towers, wet/dry filters and degassing towers. Often there is cross over benefit and results from these 'close cousins'. But words have meaning and there is also a difference.
    As for the media material used to create laminar layers of water for maximum nitrification and degassing of nitrogenous waste, there is also a definite science.

Besides surface area per cubic foot and besides inert nature of media there are issues of channeling and in the case of TTs, there is the all important property of packing characteristics.
    The weight of water is over 8 pounds per gallon. And the pounding action of moving water is POWERFUL. This is alfer all, what created the Grand Canyon!

Here is a photo of an excellent media for wet/dry nitrification but one that can channel over time, yet not pack over time- like say, bio-ribbon products or PVBC shavings. However, in a submerged design, this media, which is fixed and overlapping, works only as an avergae media.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trick to avoid Bakki Shower-bh-foam.jpg  

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast