Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trick to avoid Bakki Shower

Daihonmei
    Here is a shot of two other media types showing the packing characteristics of each- Try and image how water will drip and flow over each and how the shape of these media types will be effected by compression caused by water flowing over them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trick to avoid Bakki Shower-lavameda.jpg   Trick to avoid Bakki Shower-plasticmedia.jpg  

Daihonmei
    Here is a third media type
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trick to avoid Bakki Shower-agedfilm.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Well first off, that's not filtration, that's an open system. And second of all, degassing of a closed system is actually different than degassing say ground water from a clean source. But that aside, I've also been to Angel hatchery many years ago now- Are you saying they are pumping thru 17,300 gallons an hour? 24 X7, 365 days a year? JR
    At least. A 7.5 hp pump will do 300 gpm or 18000 gph. His pump I think is bigger than that and yes 24 x 7. But, this water is distributed to many tanks and a pond or two. By the way it is Angels with an s.

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong View Post
    At least. A 7.5 hp pump will do 300 gpm or 18000 gph. His pump I think is bigger than that and yes 24 x 7. But, this water is distributed to many tanks and a pond or two. By the way it is Angels with an s.
    They are useing 2 pumps of 2.5 HP each pumping 175gal a minute and each tank gets a complete water change 3 times a day . Surprisingly they have to pay for the water which they pump out of their own property
    Regards
    Eugene

Pay for the water...that is a new one on me?

Jumbo
    Ok JasPR, I'll ask. What is the clay colored media in post #20? Hydroponic clay beads? reddish grey olives? The original Bio Balls from 1962? Are you tryin to pull somethin?

Nisai
    here is my filter picture

Daihonmei
    Very Nice pond Mojo. And the water looks great!

I also want to apologize Mojo for taking your thread maybe off subject a bit.

Mick, the media is the hydroponic clay you thought it was. It's an interesting filter media that I have used for many years as a dynamic media in fluidized bed applications. And as well as it works as a 'moving media' it is a trapper of particles in a fixed setting like a TT.
    The point of my posts is taht there is no one ideal media. It depends on the application and the purpose. JR

Jumbo
    JR- I was discouraged from using the hydroponic clay by the folks at AES, but it looked like a winner to me.

Mojo- When I was learning by reading every word of koi.com.my I was struck by the use of clay pots as decorative/functional returns of filtered water to the pond. It seems that your setup adds a separate and additional group of interactions to the equation. Your pot is an unglazed one, correct?

Did you produce foam when you first put this filter in operation? Thin film sheeting promotes DOC attraction and can be adapted to remove DOCs purposefully.
    Mickey the windowman, the world is a very big place.

Aquitori says Keokoi says "even sun shines on dogs ass..." so I say... Buy Ugly Early.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    All of you think i try to joke, but not, here what i do: i have a simple up flow DIY bead filter, pond water come from the bottom of a 20 gallon fiberglass flower pot, thru a 8" thick Bead, stop by a perfolated plate. Instead of sending the clean water to the pond by a plastic tube, i let it spill out run down along the wall of the flower pot. The clean water then is collected by a large container ( i make by Hardy plank sheet) open 1 end, seat right under the filter, then to the pond. It's the water fall down along the pot wall and conducting to the pond by a long path act as a simple Bakki. I alway think it will have not enough contact time to degas. But surprisingly, it works even better than a Bakki, and no cost, no space. You may have different filter type. but the priciple still can work with your. The filter wall, the long path to the pond do the trick. It's simple.
    Mojo,
    I must say your pond water looks great! This seems like a very small filter. What size is the pond in gallons?
    I also don't see any mention of clay pots in your explanation, Am I missing something?
    Jim

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast