Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kawaragoi?

Kawaragoi?

I posted this fish on another forum and the result was that it is part of a unique koi class....basically, that it doesn't fall into a particular category.

Have any of you seen one like it before? Fish is currently around 9-10 inches. THis is the first decent picture I have had of it, as I just got a nice blue bowl. If the current pattern holds up till next year, I was thinking of possibly showing it in that class....

Thoughts? I would really appreciate them. I'm here to learn.

I really don't think it's anything more than a pond mutt. Maybe some kujaku/matsuba and ginrin mixed in there. Probably pretty in the pond, but I wouldn't recommend it for competition. Enjoy her for what she is...and raise her simply because you like her. Among the show ones..I have some mixed in simply because I enjoy them as pets.

I don't think I would show it. It is not a show koi (and there is nothing wrong with that). Lets totally forget that you can't really classify for a minute. Some major problems as I see it is the scales are not even and the head is mottled. Also one of the pecs has some black on it while the other does not which throws off the balance. So enjoy it as a pond koi or move it on to make room for something else to show.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

I think you have an example of Gin Matsuba, but unfortunately the silver on the body is not strong enough, resulting in the Asagi scalation coming through too heavy, and there is yellow/orange pigment on the gill plates (but not enough to elevate it to Kujaku, IMO... debateable point, perhaps). Additionally, the pectorals seem undersized. All of that, combined with the items noted by Jim above, this is a fish to enjoy for the beauty of her moment, but not in the show ring.

These comments are a harsh realism, but there is another aspect to koi appreciation than the judging ring. Prior to the 1960s nishikigoi of this sort did not exist. Just 50 years ago this would have drawn raves as an exciting development ... a leap forward in koi development, a treasure to be coddled. A koi that appeals to your sense of beauty is a worthy fish, without regard to the state of koi development today. So, enjoy her.

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate the honesty. I agree that the pecs look small. Ive had the same comments before about it. It is an interesting koi. The sumi on the one fin does make it look unbalanced for sure. What does the head being "mottled" mean? I've never heard this term before.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan25 View Post
    Thank you for your comments. I appreciate the honesty. I agree that the pecs look small. Ive had the same comments before about it. It is an interesting koi. The sumi on the one fin does make it look unbalanced for sure. What does the head being "mottled" mean? I've never heard this term before.
    Small Pec. Fins ? You would want the Head to be "Clean" , Solid white w/shine .

Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    Small Pec. Fins ?
    No, the pecs, man!

Interesting about the head....I think it looks better with the "glittery silver" on the head. But for other purposes, I can see where it would be considered a flaw.

Ethan

Has ANYONE seen a fish in the past that is like this? I'd really like to see something to compare it to.

Ethan

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan25 View Post
    Has ANYONE seen a fish in the past that is like this? I'd really like to see something to compare it to.

Ethan
    http://zfishinc.com/images/koipics/Gin_Matsuba.jpg

http://www.lars-sebralla.de/koivaria..._matsuba01.jpg

http://www.lars-sebralla.de/koivaria...a_muster01.jpg
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Ethan . . .

Two months ago you posted pix of this same koi here; your koi really hasn't changed and neither have our opinions of it:

What breed of Koi do I have?

Sorry but true. Now if you want to understand why your koi has no show potential, you should check out this site:

http://www.japan-nishikigoi.org/show_young_e.html

On one page you can see the different show varieties and you can see how a koi's conformation changes with age/size.

9" equals about 23 centimeters, so pay particular attention to the conformation of the 18th, 23rd, & 28th Division winners as compared to your koi.

Best wishes,
    Don Chandler
    Member: AKCA, ZNA, KoiUSA

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast