Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: New Arrivals in Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by l113892 View Post
    Bob-

I haven't read all your posts but what all is going in the room- I'm guessing this is the filter house and you'll also use it as a quarantine set up? How about heating- will the room be heated? I think you mentioned gas heat for the pond.

It looks great.

Hi Mike,

Thnx for the kind comment. On page 6 of this thread I posted 2 diagrams that show the filter and drain set up that should help.

The cliff notes version is 2 diffuser drains 4" gravity feed to 2 Nexus to 2 Sequence pumps (~3200 GPH each) to two 65 watt UV to Bakki shower to Upper spillway to pond. Skimmer and 2 other lines (6 drains to 3 lines by Colorado code) from infiniti edge catch basin area to valves then check valves to 3 Sequence pumps. One pump is 1/3 HP going right back to one TPR that is for "effect" (can turn on/off or up/down depending on how much water needed to go over the infiniti edge. One pump to a Natural Gas Koi Heat Heater to two TPR's and the other pump goes to 2 TPR's.

In the picture, the 5 pump inlets are closest to you under the window, and the 3 pump outlets splitting to 5 TPR's are just "pond side" of those same inlets. Two are between the 4" pipes that will go from the Bakki Shower to the upper spillway. That last 2" visible by itself is a floor drain for under the Bakki Shower.

In the far left (In the picture of the filter room) there will be the quarantine pond. Windows in the wall and door next to it, and a Solatube skylight over it. I will be building the qpond out of 2 x 4's, plywood, liner, diffuser bottom drain gravity fed to seperate nexus. Roughly 4' w by 4' D by 8'-10' L (depending on how much space Shila lets me have. She is already saying that she doesnt get any storage space in this room. I said...Really? ) Possible Barrier curtain (Think hospital type curtain) or wall between the areas. Not ideal to be in same room as filter for main pond, but only way to have it indoors too. Shila said I cant have a 3rd building, although I have my eye on the south side of the filter building just outside that door with a window in it. Nice little greenhouse would fit there against the building. I am so mistreated...LOL The Bakki Shower filter for the main pond will be mostly enclosed by a polycarbonate "structure" for sound reduction and as a barrier. The nexus' all have covers too. So I am hopeful it will be adequate.

Each room will have a exhaust fan and there will be a large dehumidifier. No HVAC type heat to begin with, but probably electric baseboard heat in the winter if need be. In the future, if it turns into a Rain forest.

Nancy, Had a great time but man it was hot! The pond should be done in July, so yes will be done in time for the show. Would love to show it off if time allows, though there won't be many koi in it as most will be at the show. We live about an hour and 15 min from the show site, and trying to figure how to get there while people are still at show. If I wasn't chairing would be easier...LOL.. Also, there are 2 truly spectacular true koi ponds in Colorado Springs that should be seen if you are coming to my house anyway. That's a whole day. Think many people would be interested/able to stay another whole day like the Monday? Probably could make that happen
    Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

Also, there are 2 truly spectacular true koi ponds in Colorado Springs that should be seen if you are coming to my house anyway.
    Bob, I will be at the show in Denver, but live in C. Springs, and I would LOVE to see your pond/house and the two other ponds you mention. Can you let us know if this added bonus to the show will happen? Here or on the RMKC site?

Thanks!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Winkler View Post
    Just got back in town after a week off and Happy to say some progress. Not all the windows in yet, nor solatubes and other skylights, but Houston, we have a building .....
    Wow, that's really awesome. I'm really happy and excited for you. I cant imagine how good of growth rates you will be getting, especially in colorado. Happy ponding.

Quote Originally Posted by Sallybet View Post
    Bob, I will be at the show in Denver, but live in C. Springs, and I would LOVE to see your pond/house and the two other ponds you mention. Can you let us know if this added bonus to the show will happen? Here or on the RMKC site?

Thanks!
    Hi Sally,

If I am able to arrange a time attached to the show will be Sunday afternoon/evening or Monday. Other than that, I would need to arrange a time with the other owners (who will also be at the show) to show their ponds. Both are happy to show their ponds to koi kichi, but schedules can be difficult to arrange all 3 on the same day. Our pond....all you have to do is contact me, and if I am in town happy to arrange it.

Thnx for the kind comment Eric

More pix in the next day or so. Other windows are in, roof shingles on, concrete patios getting formed, electrical and gas partially complete.

Sansai
    Hey Bob, it looks great so far. What are you doing for the mechanical clamping of the coating to the TPRs?

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by kent wallace View Post
    Hey Bob, it looks great so far. What are you doing for the mechanical clamping of the coating to the TPRs?
    On page two post #13, Bob mentions that he is going to plaster finish the pond. There would be no need for any machanical clamping. The only product I know of that requires mechanical clamping is polyurea. Sani-Tred does a great job and will adhere to the returns.

Hi Bob

Sounds like things are really popping finally. Shouldn't be took long now. I can't wait to see that dude full of water and that infinity edge flowing. Who would have thought to have an infinity edge on a koi pond. Guess you'll be the FIRST on your block to have one - LOL!!!

I'm curious about something in your construction - you said you were going to plaster the inside shell. Are you actually using plaster or another product like thoroseal or Eucoseal? What is your plan to leach the lime from the water after plastering?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by koiczar View Post
    Hi Bob

Sounds like things are really popping finally. Shouldn't be took long now. I can't wait to see that dude full of water and that infinity edge flowing. Who would have thought to have an infinity edge on a koi pond. Guess you'll be the FIRST on your block to have one - LOL!!!

I'm curious about something in your construction - you said you were going to plaster the inside shell. Are you actually using plaster or another product like thoroseal or Eucoseal? What is your plan to leach the lime from the water after plastering?

Mike
    Kent and Mike-

Hope to see you both in Denver this year. Vendor booths are going fast ....

Thnx for the kind comment Kent. Russ nailed it I seriously considered using Sanitred, or some such economical "sealant", but in the Husband/wife negotiations on whether to even do the project, Shila insisted on using a more "common" method of sealing it no matter what. We had had such problems with our previous house with things like the radiant floor heat, etc etc, that we just wanted something simple and someone who would stand behind it if it leaked. Not having done the Sanitred (or polyurea for that matter), nor having anyone around here in Colorado who had, we went conventional.....This way, if ever sell the house....it truely is just an indoor pool...This was one of several "compromises" in that direction with the project.

Mike-

We are actually using black plaster and tile. Black... LOL... The perimeter "seat" will be a marble looking greenish tile, bullnosed edges, and the sides an asian like white pebbles. This week anyway, but the plaster is here to stay. May paint it with a epoxy paint, but that goes against what I was saying in the previous paragraph. The water comes out the tap at 9.0 pH already, so we are already fighting that battle. The plaster would be acid washed, and allowed to "settle" in the traditional way. Not fast or sexy, but there it is.

I have a question for you two pond builders, and any others who want to chime in. If our intention is to have a pond surface that can be easily converted to a pool (for us or a future buyer who doesn't want a hassle), what surface should it be IYO? Needs to be an easy and relatively inexpensive conversion. The plaster I supposedly would just need to powerwash. Beat that.

Honmei
    Hi Bob,

We worked on a spec home in Yountville, which is just North of Napa, and the homeowner wanted a salt water pool. She decided to go with black plaster. It really looks great. Yes, you should be able to just clean it to convert it to a pool.

Sansai
    The only issue that might come up would be the natural ablility or tendency for algae to chip and work at the plaster over time. You might have to replaster to convert in the far future but if you sprayed it with polyurea conversion wouldn't be an option because polyurea gets degraded by chlorine.

Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast