Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: New Arrivals in Colorado

Hi Bob

As a pond builder, I hadn't used plaster on any of our jobs so far. That's why I was curious to know what procedures you're planning on using before introducing any fish to the system. There is also another product that is a waterproofer called Eucoseal. I guess it's the same thing as Thoroseal although I'm not positive. We're waiting to hear back from tech support from the manufacturer about any leaching of lime or other detrimental side effects from it's use. Don't want to have to drain 17,500 gallons for nothing.

Kent

I had converted my swimming pool in 2003. So far, no problems whatsoever of the algae affecting the plaster coating.

I know, it looks like I answered my own question here, but the pool was already 13 years old when converted. There were no problems with any lime or chlorine leaching from the finish due to it's "cured" state.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Winkler View Post

I have a question for you two pond builders, and any others who want to chime in. If our intention is to have a pond surface that can be easily converted to a pool (for us or a future buyer who doesn't want a hassle), what surface should it be IYO? Needs to be an easy and relatively inexpensive conversion. The plaster I supposedly would just need to powerwash. Beat that.
    Bob, when I built my big pond last year I had my koi in my swimmingpool for about 3 months. My pool is fibreglassed. All it took was 3 chemical treatments and a good brushing effort and it was clear again. There was quite a bit of algae in just 3 months though! But then again I'm aware that fibreglass is not very common in the US right?

I've seen a number of algae coated Florida swimming pools that were left untended for several months. They clean up pretty well at relatively modest cost. However, I've not seen one that developed a full coating of carpet algae. I think that would require a complete re-surfacing and a lot of prep work to remove the dead algae fibers. I have an old plastic tub that was used for lillies several years back. It still has remnants of the carpet algae on it. Cannot be gotten off without scraping with a razor blade. I do not believe the same algae growth will occur in an indoor situation. The lower light levels will likely result in a coating of green that is more like a slime coat and not too difficult to remove... less algae glarf in the filters, too!

However, for those who think of designing an outdoor koi pond for easy conversion to a swimmibng pool upon re-sale, not a bad idea, but don't assume it can be done without re-surfacing work ... at least not in sunbelt areas.

Thnx for the replies...Will be interesting to see how it pans out, as none of the plastered pool ponds I am aware of are enclosed like we are planning.

Not much happening of koi kichi interest.. still working on the electrical. Had to wait on the humidity exhaust fans and "vents" to arrive b4 that is completed. Hopefully that will be complete by Saturday or early next week. Concrete is all done now and doors going on Thursday.

Food for Thought on pond/pool conversion...

I'm wondering if anyone has tried Roddy's Sodium Percarbonate treatment to nuke the algae/fibers etc... in various applications. While his recent posts on the topic over at KP have been with regard to cleaning up string algae mainly in W.G. applications it could be a relatively easy and efficient crossover treatment for a conversion. Just a thought
    Not to be a distraction from the topic at hand, We now return you to your regular programming

Larry . . .

Good thinking.

I've used SP to 'eliminate' SA in a couple of problem areas -- and it was, in fact, totally eliminated so it would probably work quite well when converting a pond to a pool.

Would still need to re-plaster, though, if the surface has been pitted.

Thnx.....that makes sense. If replastering anyway, what difficulties do anyone foresee if I DID cover the plaster with the epoxy paint? Is that just asking for trouble? My reason would be to decrease any pH changes from the plaster.

My experience with epoxy has been mixed. I used a steelflex two part mix once with terrible results on concrete. It gets very hard with zero flex. Became brittle and when cracked or struck with a hard object such as a heavy stone, would tend to fracture and peel. I removed the entire coating.

Daihonmei
    I've had a similar experience with tile coat, an epoxy paint. It worked great for many years but eventually, sun, algae growth etc had it chipping and peeling. The most upsettling thing for me was to watch big koi eating flakes of expoxt paint when they would munch the wall right at the water line fas they picked up the odor of concentrated amino acids comingled in the short green growing algae. That year the pond was drained and CIM was applied. JR

Honmei

Pond Armor.

Hi Bob,
    Have you looked into using Pond Armor. Take a look at their website, it might be the right coating for you. Pond Armor - Non Toxic Epoxy and Polyurea Pond Liners and Sealers

Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast