Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New Arrivals in Colorado

Hi Carl,

A little worried, but not too much. A friend of mine with a spectacular pond here in Colorado has an infinity edge longer than what we plan, and his koi do not end up in it. I am more worried about our bulldogs that swim like a lead balloon getting in. Our spillover "containment section" of the pond is 4 feet wide by 12' long, with water to be 1' deep in the spillover section. (Our bulldogs love water and I fully expect them to get into that area...and that is mostly ok...) That is where the water level sensor will be placed, along with the overflow...Our intention is to have a barrier much like the bottom of this picture (sorry I don't have a better picture of it here at the office) to go around the pond and across the lip to that spillover section, that is removeable when appropriate...BTW, we have used a similar barrier around our quarantine pond since we had a big kohaku jump out of the qpond with a net that was well weighted down. But like I said, if a koi were to go over that edge, it should not be a catastrophe, unlike the bulldog anchors
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Arrivals in Colorado-talking-about-buttercup.jpg  
    Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

Bob

I'll be very interested to see it when it's finished. It's something I would like to do, but my biggest concern is that if they jump from close to that edge, it could take them beyond the lower pool. Four feet wide might be enough "cushion," but I think the removable barrier is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Winkler View Post
    Hi Carl,

A little worried, but not too much. A friend of mine with a spectacular pond here in Colorado has an infinity edge longer than what we plan, and his koi do not end up in it. I am more worried about our bulldogs that swim like a lead balloon getting in. Our spillover "containment section" of the pond is 4 feet wide by 12' long, with water to be 1' deep in the spillover section. (Our bulldogs love water and I fully expect them to get into that area...and that is mostly ok...) That is where the water level sensor will be placed, along with the overflow...Our intention is to have a barrier much like the bottom of this picture (sorry I don't have a better picture of it here at the office) to go around the pond and across the lip to that spillover section, that is removeable when appropriate...BTW, we have used a similar barrier around our quarantine pond since we had a big kohaku jump out of the qpond with a net that was well weighted down. But like I said, if a koi were to go over that edge, it should not be a catastrophe, unlike the bulldog anchors

Is the showa in the fourth photo spoken for?
    Bob

Bob,

You have good taste, but you are two months too late. She is now in our personal collection. Thanks for playing

Quote Originally Posted by cppond View Post
    Bob

I'll be very interested to see it when it's finished. It's something I would like to do, but my biggest concern is that if they jump from close to that edge, it could take them beyond the lower pool. Four feet wide might be enough "cushion," but I think the removable barrier is a good idea.
    Agreed, which is why we plan the barrier. In our situation, if they do jump further than 4', they will hit the window and splash down in bulldog play town..not good...but not dead at least.

ok...Gunite is still not done after several weather delays, but starting to feel safer....HGTV is here to film this project, and they will be at our show in August as a "climax" I will start posting pix and descriptions. B4 the big questions start, this will be an indoor pond built like a pool so it can be easily converted if we move someday. So we have a pool contractor doing that part, and a general contractor for the two buildings. One 20' by 20' filter house, which is essentially a 2 car garage, and the 12.5' by 20' by 8' deep pool housed inside a 20' by 33' building. Estimated pond is ~15,000 gallons, not including catch basin, pipework, and filters. The filter building forms a little less than 1 wall (East)of that building and the house the North side of the pool building. The remainder of the east wall will be a sliding glass door. After our son goes to college, that window with the yellow sign will be turned into a door and the room my office. The south and west walls will be all glass. There will also be a large exhaust fan on the south wall, and the west will be 3 sliding glass doors, and a regular door. 2 main spindrifter drains, and a south catch basin with skimmer, and several more drains. 5 Sequence pumps to 2 -65 watt UV, 2 nexus, Koi Heat Heater, Double wide Bakki Shower. The Bakki Shower at 6000 gallons per hour (two pumps/pond sources) will feed by gravity into the upper spillway, which falls directly into the main pond. The two nexus will gravity feed back to the pond via tprs, and the other pump will be from the catch basin back to tpr's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Arrivals in Colorado-041507-night-b4-christmas.jpg   New Arrivals in Colorado-041507-fish-crap-drinking-water.jpg   New Arrivals in Colorado-041607-excavation-almost-complete.jpg   New Arrivals in Colorado-041607-excavation-complete.jpg   New Arrivals in Colorado-041607-finding-electrical-line.jpg  

New Arrivals in Colorado-041607-lain-chiddix-excavator.jpg  

Daihonmei
    VERY exciting Bob! I wish you all the Best. Jim R

P.S.- Do you wish someone a 'broken leg' when they begin a project of this scale , like they do in show biz? LOls

Bob . . .

Sounds great!

Am sure this build thread is headed for the Hall of Fame.

What a straight backhoe........where is the hoe ram
    sissy diggin........

YEA!!! Gonna be a fine pond.

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast