Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243

Thread: New Arrivals in Colorado

Sansai
    sometimes i have to remember where i live now and where i grew up......as compared to where i live now....

heat exchanges are relatively the norm (where i came from).....as homes were made more and more airtight....to the point that no fresh air was coming in to dilute and even dry the interior air....so they started to use heat exchanges, along with venting/exhausting, etc....

and most supply side registers are in the floor and more often then not below a window....and also common that the blower on the furnace runs all the time.....not just when it is on a heating cycle....

Banned

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Winkler View Post

Hi Bob,

May I suggest you to reduce your indoor pond’s water temperature?

My indoor pond is heated as well as my outdoor pond. I set my indoor pond’s water temperature “between” 17.5 degree C to 19 degree C. I don’t seem to have any problem on condensation. I am also running one Whirlpool Dehumidifier with 70 litres capacity. The dehumidifier is set on auto and is running at 24 hours non-stop. However Vancouver’s winter may not be as cold as yours but I am prepared to reduce my indoor pond’s water temperature lower if it is necessary.

Derrick

Hi Derrick et al,

I moved this reply here, so as not to hijack the Omosako Grow out thread for others

The pond temperature is typically reduced during this time to 45F. Winter fast and all that. One difficulty with dehumidification with our two units is that they apparently do not work as well below 65F. I think most are that way? What has worked, somewhat, is to turn the fan dehumidification switch...yes I forgot to mention this..to a lower humidity setting and open some of the sliding glass doors for the breeze and fresh air in, humidity out. Unfortunately, in the dead of winter and snow storms, this lowers the temp of the room quite a bit, and it ices up in there, along with snow, etc getting in.

It seems to me that if I could have the temp of the room just above the water temp of 45F, it would not be as humid. But without HVAC, tough to do. The electric heaters do help, but of course not the wall temp. Luke's comment of the colder walls and condensation is also not lost on me at this point either,.....Challenges also include getting the water temp down to that 45 without the doors open. The sun room is quite effective in the winter sun, and while cold outside, the water temp "uncooled" (doors open) does not dip below 50-55ish. Thoughts?

Hi Bob,

I may have the answer that you are looking for!!!! GET a dehumidifier made by Whirlpool. It is an excellent product for doing what we want it to do for us. The unit operates as low as 38 DEGREE F (3 DEGREE C). The model that I am using is # AD70USV. It has a capacity of 70 pints (NOT 70 litres). If you can find a drain somewhere in your pond’s room, you can make this unit to run continuously without emptying the bucket by connecting a garden hose to the drain connector.
    The cost for this unit is Canadian$329.99 I think this unit is worth every penny. If one unit is not enough for your room/pond size, just get TWO or more.......lol. In the U.S. you can call this number 1-877-465-3566 for more information or visit their website at www.whirlpool.com

I do think Whirlpool has another model with a bit more heavy duty than this one with 72 Pints capacity. If I knew it before hand, I would definitely get this model instead.

When I had my indoor pond built over 20 years ago, I also installed an exhaustion fan on the wall just right next to my pond WITH a humidity controlled. This fan can take the air out of the room or in reverse to draw the air from the outside into the room. This fan can be set at different speed. I don’t use this fan anymore as it can super cool my living room where my indoor pond located. This is an excellent way to control the humidity in your room if you don’t mind to super cool your room. The name of the fan is called “Vent-Axia”. I don’t know if this company is still around. It was so long........ago. You may consider using a similar type of fan to lower the temperature in your sunroom. Doing more water changes will also lower your pond temperature if that is what you want. I still do my water change daily on my outdoor pond even during the winter season...............lol.

If I can manage my indoor pond in term of humidity for over 20 years, I am pretty sure you can do it also Bob. Good luck...........

Derrick

Quote Originally Posted by koi2kichi View Post
    Hi Bob,

I may have the answer that you are looking for!!!! GET a dehumidifier made by Whirlpool. It is an excellent product for doing what we want it to do for us. The unit operates as low as 38 DEGREE F (3 DEGREE C). The model that I am using is # AD70USV. It has a capacity of 70 pints (NOT 70 litres). If you can find a drain somewhere in your pond’s room, you can make this unit to run continuously without emptying the bucket by connecting a garden hose to the drain connector.
    The cost for this unit is Canadian$329.99 I think this unit is worth every penny. If one unit is not enough for your room/pond size, just get TWO or more.......lol. In the U.S. you can call this number 1-877-465-3566 for more information or visit their website at www.whirlpool.com

I do think Whirlpool has another model with a bit more heavy duty than this one with 72 Pints capacity. If I knew it before hand, I would definitely get this model instead.

When I had my indoor pond built over 20 years ago, I also installed an exhaustion fan on the wall just right next to my pond WITH a humidity controlled. This fan can take the air out of the room or in reverse to draw the air from the outside into the room. This fan can be set at different speed. I don’t use this fan anymore as it can super cool my living room where my indoor pond located. This is an excellent way to control the humidity in your room if you don’t mind to super cool your room. The name of the fan is called “Vent-Axia”. I don’t know if this company is still around. It was so long........ago. You may consider using a similar type of fan to lower the temperature in your sunroom. Doing more water changes will also lower your pond temperature if that is what you want. I still do my water change daily on my outdoor pond even during the winter season...............lol.

If I can manage my indoor pond in term of humidity for over 20 years, I am pretty sure you can do it also Bob. Good luck...........

Derrick
    Thnx Derrick, I will look into it... The dehumidifiers I have are considerably more expensive than that..... Thnx again so much

Daihonmei
    dehumidifiers do more for humans than surfaces....and work on the exact same principle as why I am telling you to just heat that wall...the best way would be to heat it from the other side as the wall only need to be a fraction of a degree warmer to keep any condensation from forming onit...whereas dehumidfiers have surfaces that are cooler so they allow condensation to collect in them.
    if you can't get the wall a little warmer from the other side you could put a long baseboard heater along that wall. Have it be as low a wattage one as possible, get one that can be set for a very low constant usage and not controlled by a thermostat, the air coming from it would passively rise when heated and that air since its temp is now warmer will support the moisture within it and since it is not being exposed to another source of moisture it will not give up any of its moisture.
    All the dehumidifiers in the world won't help if the wall is colder than the air in the room and the ir is a continuous water/humidity source.

Banned

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Winkler View Post
    Thnx Derrick, I will look into it... The dehumidifiers I have are considerably more expensive than that..... Thnx again so much

Hi Bob,

Vent-Axia’s fan is still available. I just googled it a few minutes ago. They have fans for window, wall and roof etc. They also have distributors in the U.S., U.K. and Canada. Please look into it! Great fan!!! My fan is still working even after 20 years and over without any service.

If there is a better dehumidifier out there that you know of, please let me know. I may need one in the future...............lol. Thank you in advance!

Derrick

Interesting and helpful thoughts out there, thank you... I have some research to do

Derricks long term success may hold your answer in a tidy package. Glad he chimed in.

Luke did mention something that had crossed my mind as well, but in your case it may not be feasible at this stage so this may just serve as a future reference for someone else.

Heat the wall internally. Electrical heat grids have been used in some areas for floor heating for many years. It is a simple heat trace wire sandwiched between the subfloor and the floor to heat the house. (Nothing better than stepping onto a warm floor when there's snow on the ground.
    The same thing could be done in the walls with it sandwiched between two layers of sheetrock, which in the case of a pond room would be green board.
    Just a thought to have out there.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

some new pictures of the mural.... Val has exceeded my expectations again with her detail ....Not all the koi are completed, but most are.... Koi club meeting in a little bit here, so will post more pix later... The glare from the flash in this picture changes the colors slightly, but you can get an idea. I included her "model" picture of our Goromo "Tigger" so you can see how her painting compares with the picture/reality. These are all sentimental koi of ours, or our favorites we never owned. Such as the "Kato Showa" All Japan GC. In the background you can see the "Big Johnson", my first Grand Champion Matsunosuke Sanke from 1999, a 2004 baby champion to the right, and "Diamond" the 2002 Phoenix GC coming up below the Big Johnson. Memories preserved.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Arrivals in Colorado-040810-val-painting-koi-sm.jpg   New Arrivals in Colorado-030810-tigger-mural-sm.jpg   New Arrivals in Colorado-1003isawasakaisansaiaigoromo1.jpg  
    Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

Wow. Just...wow! Can't wait to see pictures of the entire thing all finished.

Tosai
    A few more pictures for now... Some larger scope pictures of the mural as it is now and two growth pictures of koi that were posted early in this thread. The INC Showa was in the first page and 11" in 02/07 when bought, and now is 23"/58 cm when this picture was taken last fall. Shila and I differ on our opinion (what's new? ) on it's future but it's still in the big pond. The second koi is the gift Otsuka Showa which surprisingly did not grow much in this past year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Arrivals in Colorado-031110-mural-pond-view-small.jpg   New Arrivals in Colorado-031110-mural-view-small.jpg   New Arrivals in Colorado-inc-showa-4-yo-23-58-cm-103109-small.jpg   New Arrivals in Colorado-otsuka-goshiki-showa-yonsai-22.5-56-cm-103109-small.jpg  

Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243