Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Arrivals in Colorado

New Arrivals in Colorado and their pond construction

Via Peters and Sons Koi. They came in safe and sound and in very good shape. All Matsunosuke nisai. Many thanx goes to Toshio Sakai for picking the big showa and auction kohaku and also to Russell and Kari Peters for tempting Shila with the other two koi. She never could resist a good kuchibeni. The kuchibeni showa was in the silent auction at the Matsunosuke master class in Norcal and the last showa was saying "take me home" when we visited Peters and Sons koi in Martinez, Ca. The two bigger koi are about 20" and the kuchibeni 15", and the "sumibeni" is a little over 11".

We have mostly finished unpacking boxes and hanging pictures now in the new house and the pond with "enclosure greenhouse room" and filter out buildng starts construction next week. As we get deeper into the project will post pictures....for now...the beginning site...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Arrivals in Colorado-sakai-showa-peters-koi-0207sm.jpg   New Arrivals in Colorado-sakai-kohaku-peters-koi-0207sm.jpg   New Arrivals in Colorado-sakai-kuchibeni-showa-peters.jpg   New Arrivals in Colorado-sakai-showa-2sm.jpg   New Arrivals in Colorado-final-house-sm.jpg  

Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

Mr Winkler, thanks for posting....your new home and fishy aquistions look VERY nice. You always did have the ability to select some pretty nice koi from Toshio's bloodline. Will be fun to follow their progress....

Thnx Dick.... We are excited to see them here.

Best Regards,

Bob

Very nice Bob.
    Is your new pond going to be totally enclosed?
    With air temps in the teens and 20s here, last week, I wish I would have done that.
    Jim

Hi Jim,

Yes, the slightly raised new pond/pool will be enclosed completely ala Lembke style. Well, a little like that, as there will be glass sides to the building on South and West sides, several solotube skylights, vaulted roof, filter outbuilding (really a 2 car garage) as part of the East wall of the pool room, and the North side will be attached to our house with a door from my future office (Right now it is our 16 yo son's room and window) leading into it. Wish we had it now, as our temps were quite low with a snow storm on Friday, the day I picked up the koi. A little more patience on this 7 year Odyessy toward a permanent koi pond is needed from me. But so far so good, these koi were clean of any parasites on the microscope exam last night and act happy, which makes Bob happy

Thanks for sharing your photos. Got to love koi from Isawa and T. Sakai

Great fish, Bob. And sounds like a fantastic pond project... temperature control, no leaves, no pollen, no predators. I'm looking forward to the progress reports..... How many gallons? How deep?

Will post pictures and plenty o' details AFTER the Gunite is shot... then we are out of danger of the previous pond "follies"......
    and it may actually happen...LOL..that should occur about the end of the month...but the answer to your question is 12' by 20' by 8' deep....approximately 15,000 gallons in the pond itself...

The 8' depth has done very well for HenryC. You are going to like it.

Thumbs up Happy Days...

New fish, New house, New pond... It ain't easy bein' you is it
    Looking forward to seeing pics of everything when it's finished and your new kids are settled in, but these are a great start.
    8' depth on the new pond The more I see, the more convinced I am that I WISH we could pull that off. Several members of the OKKS either already have or are in the process of building ponds in the 8-10' depth range + 2 private mud ponds. The size and bodies on those Koi have to be seen up close to be appreciated.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast