Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bottom Drain or not?

Hi myrubi04,
    Listen to everyone here...put in a bottom drain..or two
    We built our first pond in July 2005 and now we are redoing the whole thing. It just wasn`t set up at all for koi. I`d be happy to fill you in on our new pond, we`re in Louisville. We have a great club here with lots of knowledgable members to help you if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi View Post
    Koiczar

Actually all ponds are toilets.......at least the ones with bottom drains are constantly flushing instead of being an outhouse with the feces simply mounding up on the bottom.

I heard the owner of a large aquatics company address a banquet and actually say that bottom drains were not needed. I rose my hand and asked him if he flushes the toilet at his home or not.

Steve
    Steve

You're right. But how technical do you want to get right off the bat with a newbie?

Mike

Great thread! thanks Carrie for volunteering. Koi kichii's should look after each other. Starting a hobby pond correctly is the difference between enjoyment or discouragement. I'm really grateful the question was posted. Most waterfeature stores don't have a clear view of what needs to be done. I don't think they deliberately try to deceive but are definetely NOT on the same page. Mike M....was nice to be reminded of Dale, I think of him often, I miss him and Grif posting. Two very special koi kichii's.....Mike and Russ >>>I think those folks in Sunny California are lucky to have you guys available and always active on this board and willing to help. Nice to have this kind of support.....

Quote Originally Posted by koiczar View Post
    Steve

You're right. But how technical do you want to get right off the bat with a newbie?

Mike
    That is quite simple ; read some books contact a koi club see some ponds then ask questions as most things posted could be difficult to understand . Trying to advise post by post what is in Koi Kichi book would take a 1000 posts . Following these steps will save money
    Regards
    Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi View Post
    Koiczar

Actually all ponds are toilets.......at least the ones with bottom drains are constantly flushing instead of being an outhouse with the feces simply mounding up on the bottom.

I heard the owner of a large aquatics company address a banquet and actually say that bottom drains were not needed. I rose my hand and asked him if he flushes the toilet at his home or not.

Steve

ROFLMAO!!! That was a great comment!!! Yeah I'm definitely going to add the bottom drain. Do you guys have a preference on whether I should use a submersible pump or an external pump? Thanks everyone for the advice I really appreciate it. I'm doing vertical sides with a slight slope to the bottom drain. I'm really excited about building it!! I'll definitely take pictures of it's progession. Once again any advice is welcomed!!!!!

Yeah I am a newbie to Koi keeping but I've learned a tremendous amount in the past 5 years of owning them. Construction on the other hand is something I have been involved in for many, many years. So if you have a recommendation for building I'm pretty good with understanding how things work. I'm really glad I found this forum!!!

external pump? Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got a real nice 1/4 w. lim brand new in the box......

Quote Originally Posted by mstrseed View Post
    external pump? Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got a real nice 1/4 w. lim brand new in the box......

Thanks mstrseed.......but the pond shop, although maybe not so knowledgeable are giving me a HUGE discount for everything I ultimately order. They really are nice folks there. So, definitely an external pump? Any brand better than another?

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by myrubi04 View Post
    Thanks mstrseed.......but the pond shop, although maybe not so knowledgeable are giving me a HUGE discount for everything I ultimately order. They really are nice folks there. So, definitely an external pump? Any brand better than another?
    A huge discount is not always best if the products are not what you need.
    Please be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
    A huge discount is not always best if the products are not what you need.
    Please be careful.

This is very true Russell. They do have a large selection of products and can order whatever. Plus, I have everyone here that is guiding me in the right direction. I only want to build this once. So before I purchase anything I want to make sure I've got the correct pumps,filters,uv lights, and anything else you guys can think of.(within reason ) Let me just say that I am grateful for all the info you guys have given so far. I was surprised by the number of responses. Thanks!!!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast