Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bottom Drain or not?

Bottom Drain or not?

Hi all!!

I'm in the process of building a new house so I must also build a new koi pond. I am building a circular pond that will be 12' in diameter and 4-5' deep. The local pond shop said that I wouldn't need a bottom drain if I had a skimmer and a filter in the waterfall. What do you guys recommend? I have 6 8-12" koi and 3 4" koi.

Thanks for any info!!

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by myrubi04 View Post
    Hi all!!

I'm in the process of building a new house so I must also build a new koi pond. I am building a circular pond that will be 12' in diameter and 4-5' deep. The local pond shop said that I wouldn't need a bottom drain if I had a skimmer and a filter in the waterfall. What do you guys recommend? I have 6 8-12" koi and 3 4" koi.

Thanks for any info!!
    I recommend that you NEVER listen to the local pond shop again. That is some of the worst advice I have heard. You must absolutley have a bottom drain and a skimmer and a really large filter (not in the waterfall) and several return lines (TPR's). Please do not build until you have all the information you need.

Tosai

Bottom Drain or not?

I agree with Russell. I built my 1200 gallon pond last year and totally regret not specifying a bottom drain. I currently have a submersible pump feeding a Ultima II filter that discharges into my waterfall.

Anyone that would claim you do not need a bottom drain for a Koi pond does not know what they are talking about. I am now getting quotes to expand my pond to 3500 - 4000 gallons with two bottom drains.

I've priced out a submersible pump that goes inside the filter along with the UV light. I believe that I can still add a bottom drain to this system. I still have time to figure this out. I'm not breaking ground on the pond until May 4th. Any advice would be appreciated. I do have background in building inground vinyl pools. I am familiar with installing bottom drains. But, building a swimming pool and building a koi pond is a little different. Thanks again for any help as I am still an infant when it comes to koi.

rubi04

The advice you were given is typical of "fish stores" and landscapers. It's based on a specific type of pond which most all serious koi keepers have defined as "a toilet bowl"!!

Russ Peters is a General Contractor who has built some really nice ponds. My partner and I also build ponds. This is not an advertisement but just a bit of sound advice from someone who does this work professionally. YOU MUST HAVE AT LEAST ONE BOTTOM DRAIN. Simply adding a submersible pump inside a skimmer does not a filter make. I have retrofitted at least 20 of these type ponds. Most after only the first year or two of operation when the customer realizes they got ripped off in the first place. Now they have to spend more than the original investment to rip out the original pond in the most extreme cases and install a "proper" koi pond with the right plumbing to do the job.

Don't be too hasty, rushing into the project without some sound advice. You'll get lots of it here if you want it. It may be a little overwhelming at first but there are some really great folks here who can help you to do it right the FIRST TIME!

One other noteworthy suggestion, stay away from building a pond with "ledges for plants". It simply makes your pond become a smorgasbord (sp) for predators. The walls should be vertical and the pond is recommended to be a minimum of 3-4' but 4'-5' is even better.

Good Luck. Remember, we're hear to help if you need it.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by myrubi04 View Post
    Hi all!!

Thanks for any info!!
    i would go 7-8 ft deep with bottom drain(s).

Jumbo
    04-

None of us will tell you that a bottom drain isn't neccessary; it is. The folks you are talking to may call us nuts. Yep. So nutty we have good ponds.

A bottom drain doesn't hook up to the skimmer.

If you are ready here are two maybes- order KoiKichi by Peter Waddington. Pay for rush delivery.
    Or, go to the show in North Carolina May 4th, and learn something there. Southern Koi Expo

Your contractors will not like this. I am one also. Houses, not ponds.

I thinks it covered above, but even if it were a small water garden I would put in a bottm drain. Why, ease of cleaning
    Sloped side are a consideration too.

But if anyone ever tell you not to put something in which will make it easier.....get another opinion.

But that is only my opinion

There is a knowledgeable koikeeper in Lexington... Dale Torok. He was a regular on this board until a family tragedy focused his attention elsewhere. See if you can locate him, or maybe one of our Kentuckians will PM you and arrange something. You should not let an artificial timeline control. Have confidence in your plan and then focus on the timing.

Honmei

Mike...right premise...wrong description

Koiczar
    The advice you were given is typical of "fish stores" and landscapers. It's based on a specific type of pond which most all serious koi keepers have defined as "a toilet bowl"!!
    Actually all ponds are toilets.......at least the ones with bottom drains are constantly flushing instead of being an outhouse with the feces simply mounding up on the bottom.

I heard the owner of a large aquatics company address a banquet and actually say that bottom drains were not needed. I rose my hand and asked him if he flushes the toilet at his home or not.

Steve

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast