Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Couple "Quality" Kohaku's

A Couple "Quality" Kohaku's

Am I just wanting to spend my money on some Koi ? Or are either of these worth a year or two in the pond ?

It's that time of year! After all the hoopla of the Autumn harvests fades, the shipments from Japan are fewer, the dealers have shipped out the fish they have acclimated over the winter, Spring has arrived in the North and everyone gets excited wanting a new koi for the season ahead. So, it is good to stop and think before jumping into the buying fray.

As for these two tosai, both have that really young look good Kohaku have. The quality of the Beni is what you want to focus on, but that's tough to figure in a photo. The Hi is going to tighten and the appearance of the pattern will seem to change as the fish grows bigger over the summer. The first looks like it may be female. The pattern lacks some balance and I suspect the imbalance will show more as the fish grows. The second is the more balanced pattern to my eye. The body looks fine for tosai. Of the two, based on just photos, I'd pick the second one because I think it's pattern will look best in the future.

Are either worthy of a mudpond summer? Well, every koi will be better for it! I think it is really a question of whether the cost of mudpond keeping is fair in your mind for the pleasure of anticipation. And, if you can be there for the harvest day, that's another fun event... with travel cost probably being more than the fish? [It is a curious thing how we can be fixated on whether a koi could have been gotten for 10% less, or the filter obtained on sale, although these give years of pleasure. But we will spend more on transient pleasures of the moment that are gone long before the credit card charges are paid.]

I think every koikeeper would get more pleasure from their hobby if they had a fish growing in the mud and made the trip for harvest day. It's more than the fish... which can come out pretty good, too!

I think at this stage, both have excellent beni but I choose more for skin than color. The white is very nice at this age and holds promise for both.
    I like the pattern and body shape of the one with the tiny step at the tail stop.

As you can see , I already have a "Quality" 2 step . I was leaning toward the 1st. Koi .

Mike , you feel the first Koi may grow out of the pattern ? I felt she could grow into the pattern ? The "Plan" was to have the koi brought to the Louisville Show , so I could see it first hand (With their knowledge that it was for a better look , then a possible sell ) . This is not a high priced koi , it's the limited space in my koi pond as to if I would buy or not .

I have a Kohaku going in the Mud this year . A new part of this hobby that I look forward too . Not sure if I will be back this fall . My hope is that Mat tells me , she needs to stay a second year , then I'll be there for sure !!!

If you have the chance to check it out in person, go for it! But, Mat doesn't take many back to the farm after they go to a show. I know he did at a California show last year because he took some pretty special ones for Sakai to see and was not about to do any "deals" on them. So, if you're wanting one to go into the mud, you better check ahead of time. He puts them through a long separation, so they might miss the mud any way. Call Tara and explain it all and she'll get you an answer. She has to be one of the most attentive folks in the koi business.

Pattern is so personal you should select what pleases you. The first one will have a nice break in the future and the "spot" on the peduncle, so a 3-step of sorts. I'm not thinking that it will out-grow the pattern as much that the shiro void will seem larger in proportion on a larger fish. For me, that's an imbalance I do not prefer. For others, it is a juxtaposition that endears.

Mike , I wouldn't ask for the Koi to go back to New Jersey . It would go in my Basement QT , then to my Main Pond . I just e-mailed Tara about having the koi "Come Along" with the others that would be sold . Since I will "Live" at the show from Wed. on , I could decide on the koi even before the show started . Hick , The koi could be already sold for all I know !!!

My only concern from the photo , is the Hi on the left gill plate ?

I'm more concern with the space the koi will take up in my pond (If I don't like it) , then the price .

Mike , I think I sit right behind you at Mats talk on Beni Quality at the CFKS (Sat.) .

I have looked at the beni as carefully as the photos will allow several times. What caught my eye the first time around keeps drawing my attention each time I look. The first fish - if you look very closely at a rather blurry photo, you'll see just behind the head on the right is a weak spot of beni. The other is as you mentioned, the hiban on the left gill plate. That part may end up okay as the fish grows and the head widens. I just can't see how far down the gill plate it extends to make a valued judgment on that. As Mike stated, The open area of shiroji is a big distraction for me as well. The fish on the right has a much nicer balanced look to it especially for growing out. The only part that I would be concerned with is the front edge of the hi plate on the forehead. I've seen this look before and it's a 50/50 chance that that hi will start breaking as the fish grows. Besides the indented pattern is disturbing looking and that's the first thing that should catch your eye! Anyway, just my two cents worth. I'm not knocking Matt's fish. Ned from Simi koi donated two of Matt's fish to the Silent Auction at the Sakura Koi Show and I liked them very much. The Kujaku was absolutely of the finest quality. It was the first to be bid on!

Nisai
    i may said something that you don't like, the quality of the hi, if exact as show on the picture, is a 10. the pattern for a koi show is a 5. there is not a lot of chance these kohaku will win.

I pretty much agree with the statement about the pattern. The patterns are fairly simple which in a competitive show, will present some challenges. If/when the fish get some significant size, of course, it will be of less importance.

Of the two fish, I like the first one more mostly based on shape. Comparatively speaking, it's shoulders are wider and tail is thicker. The open area on the first fish wouldn't bother me especially if the separation happens on the other side as predicted. Nice fish.

-Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast