Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Northern California ZNA , 18 years ago---

Daihonmei

Northern California ZNA , 18 years ago---

Very nice article acknowledging Grant Fugita in Rinko ( then ZNA's organizational magazine). The article focuses on Grant's contribution to the Northern California ZNA chapter and how he was starting a judges training program within the chapter back then. His chapter president interviewed Grant and discussed the current state of affairs of the Northern California ZNA and the advantages of having a knowledge Japanese dealer and landscaper within their chapter. A nice job.

Grant had put on a 1988 seminar in Hayward that was very sucessful for his business and for the Northern California chapter. They planned on doing another on filtration but I'm not sure it ever came off?

This photo shows the chapter president, Bob Hewitt ( right, croughing down) and an active NC ZNA member ( Emilo Bautista) and owner of a Grant supplied GC at the 1989 cherry blosson festival.

Are these two members still active in the NC ZNA ?

JR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Northern California ZNA , 18 years ago----grant.jpg  

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Very nice article acknowledging Grant Fugita in Rinko ( then ZNA's organizational magazine). The article focuses on Grant's contribution to the Northern California ZNA chapter and how he was starting a judges training program within the chapter back then. His chapter president interviewed Grant and discussed the current state of affairs of the Northern California ZNA and the advantages of having a knowledge Japanese dealer and landscaper within their chapter. A nice job.

Grant had put on a 1988 seminar in Hayward that was very sucessful for his business and for the Northern California chapter. They planned on doing another on filtration but I'm not sure it ever came off?

This photo shows the chapter president, Bob Hewitt ( right, croughing down) and an active NC ZNA member ( Emilo Bautista) and owner of a Grant supplied GC at the 1989 cherry blosson festival.

Are these two members still active in the NC ZNA ?

JR
    I don't know about Bob Hewitt, but Emilio entered Koi at the Sakura Show. Emilio won Reserve Champion for a size 5 Showa.

Grant was generous enough to sit through my presentation on koi history last weekend and offer some great pearls of his own to help me improve my data. One of the neatest stories he told me was about visiting Tomiji Kobayashi when Kobayashi was at his height of popularity producing truly awesome showa that won major show after show in their day. It has been reported that Kobayashi produced his new modern showa by crossing a kohaku with a Shiro Utsuri. Like much of the information about koi history and genealogy this is sort of a half way version. The parent koi used by Kobayashi were mixed breed koi. The female was a cross between a Shiro Utsuri and a Tomion Kohaku the male was a cross between a orginal style showa and a Yagazon Kohaku.

Grant told me about asking Kobayashi to see the parent koi that produced his famous showas. Grant said he was surprised to see how unsual the parent koi looked. One had a large red marking on it's head kind and a single large patch of sumi on one side. The other was just sort of messy looking. It was a special treat to be able to hear Grant describe his experiences in Japan from over 30 years ago. The N. Cal clubs are very fortunate to have Grant's expertise to learn from.

Ray,

you are absolutely right about that. personally, I thought the ZNA NorCal club meetings were quite educational and it wouldn't be possible without Grant's relentless contributions. We also have a very good and experienced team that always there to lead the club in the right direction.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by RayJordan View Post
    snipped
    . The N. Cal clubs are very fortunate to have Grant's expertise to learn from.