Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Micro BubbleDiffuser

ppp

Micro BubbleDiffuser

Does anyone here know whether the use of micro bubble diffusers (either wholly or partially) to aerate the pond would be beneficial or detrimental to koi health? Thanks in advance for your feedback..

I cannot see diffusers as being detrimental but they may not be the most efficient solution.

Three-fourths of all ponds with koi in them are under oxygenated. (not necessarily the ones you may see here but most of the pond installations you will find).

Oxygen is the primary fuel for most positive cleansing reactions in a pond ecosystem. Oxidation is the process whereby toxic nitrogen based chemicals are processed along in the cycle into less toxic forms. Oxidation is the process wherby most heavy metals and minerals add weight and then settle out of the system. Oxidation feeds floculation of organic solids into larger and more settlable particulates that are then removed from the water.

In many cases, just adding additional oxygenation will improve the filtration and water quality processes if they are not already maxed out and optimized.

Daihonmei
    Go for it---
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Micro BubbleDiffuser-airdome.jpg  

Nisai
    Paladin is just about to speak it all and doing well in explanation so. Most newbie does not understand the danger of low oxygen saturation during warm growing season. MA. Le

Actually, the benefits of adding a diffuser ring to your pond extend far beyond oxygenation – which is a good thing, because I’ve seen conflicting reports on how effective they are in comparison to other methods for achieving that goal.

What cannot be disputed, though, is that they:
    • Greatly facilitate gas exchange; and
    • Are highly effective at mixing your pond’s water column.
    Since most ponds have ‘dead zones’ – and since different layers tend to collect different pollutants – mixing the water column is highly beneficial; especially so when combined with bottom drains, TPRs and skimmers to move and remove pollutants from the pond.

Three for one. And they're all good.
    Don Chandler
    Member: AKCA, ZNA, KoiUSA

Don,
    Well Said. By The Way Don. Do You Know Where I Can Get My Hands On A Diffuser Ring.
    Mikey

Hi Mikey . . .

I'm still stuck in the Stone Age with large Japanese air stones on top of my domed concrete bottom drain covers; wanted to upgrade, but they take different plumbing -- so I'd have to go retro with lines over the side, etc.

Never got around to sourcing, but I've seen pix where Frank installed them so you might check with him for a good price/source.

ppp
    Many thanks for all your feedback.

I read that micro bubbles dissolve more readily into the water by virtue of their increased surface area, thereby raising the DO level in the water. Koi cannot utilize oxygen in a gaseous form; it must dissolve in the water to be useful to them.

I read somewhere, however, that if the tiny bubbles get stuck in the gills of the koi, it might get absorbed into the koi's body in a gaseous form and cause BENDS, very much similar to the harm that may befall a human being if a bubble of air gets into our bloodstream. This is what is getting me worried.

Micro bubble diffusers cost quite a bit, about the equivalent of USD150 per foot run. I would spend it if it is GOOD for my koi, but I must be assured they're not actually HARMFUL for them!

Any further thoughts?

Daihonmei
    No that is not possible to get the bends at one atmosphere. Only possible under pressure, and a bubble on a gill would not be under any more pressure than the one atmosphere- unless--- you have a very very very deep pond!~ LOls JR

ppp
    Thanks JasPR.

By the way, the picture you attached earlier, is that a MICRO bubble diffuser? I was under the impression that micro bubbles are so small that they are practically invisible to the naked eye. The bubbles in your photo look like normal sized bubbles that might come out of a typical air stone.

So much for the theory behind micro bubble diffusers, but has anyone actually USED them in a koi pond and can vouch for their benefits?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast