Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: whats a tategoi??

thanks for all the posts..it was nice learning

Jumbo
    Top tategoi tosai of gosanke, from very famous breeders with many top winning resoults at major koi shows in Japan, are being priced over 10K easily....but not all breeders tategoi tosai.

Long time ago, a word of Tategoi was used very narrow meaning among breedres.... Fish not for sale yet !!
    However, in these years, it is used much more wide range in Japan too

Quote Originally Posted by mynamy1 View Post
    OK, are you going to show us the swan soon? MA.Le
    They have been posted previously in other threads. Worth looking for.......

Hey Ray, you got that daughter of yours to give you her new "tategoi" yet????

so pretty much every one abuses the word "tategoi" now is that correct??

and i never got the true deinition of tategoi.....u guys just said that japan keeps their tategoi but that means we all have all crap fish?? i am sure that they sell some tategoi out of japan to the U.S. and other places

and any1 got pics of true "tategois?"

Quote Originally Posted by k.tran View Post

and i never got the true deinition of tategoi.....u guys just said that japan keeps their tategoi but that means we all have all crap fish?? i am sure that they sell some tategoi out of japan to the U.S. and other places

First off get the Kodama book, in there you will see tategoi in the 5 figure range. Like I said if you look in the word tate(shit)a. It says it all...

Quote Originally Posted by k.tran View Post

Kelvin

As has been previously posted by a couple people replying to your question, the word tategoi means "a fish to dream on". But let's not let that term get out of control here. It has become a very "bastardized" word. Consider this: If a breeder thinks he has a "one in a million" fish on his hands at say, tosai or nisai, you're not going to usually see it. It is kept away from public eye until he deems it worthy to be viewed because he can get his price for this fish, or, it simply didn't meet his expectations and he is now willing to sell it off. The price will still be high, but nothing near what it could have been worth if his "dream" came true. Remember, a breeder, in it's simplest definitive form, is nothing more than a farmer. It's like he found the goose that laid the golden egg. It is not a fish for anyone else to dream on. If a breeder lets any fish go at tosai, nisai or even sansai, it is NOT A TATEGOI anymore, if it ever was to begin with.

Hope that helps you get a better understanding. Please, don't get taken in by anyone who uses the word tategoi here in this country. It's definition has been spoiled by some who are using it for marketing purposes only and not as an honest representation of a truly high class fish!

Mike

Jumbo
    Tategois are in a mud/field pond for maxmum growth from April/May to Oct/Nov. They are not swiming in neither our nor dealers concrete ponds.

Real first class kois are for top dealers & top hobbyists. Second class are for Japan' market, in general. There maybe some exception...but most of all Kois in here are 3rd or lower class.

The showa picture posted by dcny was nothing but the true tategoi
    How about this tosai to get some idea ??

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kindai View Post
    Tategois are in a mud/field pond for maxmum growth from April/May to Oct/Nov. They are not swiming in neither our nor dealers concrete ponds.

Real first class kois are for top dealers & top hobbyists. Second class are for Japan' market, in general. There maybe some exception...but most of all Kois in here are 3rd or lower class.

The showa picture posted by dcny was nothing but the true tategoi
    How about this tosai to get some idea ??
    Hi SK,
    Sometime breeders say that this or that koi is their No.1 tosai, nisai or sansai.They will sell to you but on condition that you have to keep the koi under their care.Are these kois consider tategois?

Daihonmei
    Important addendum to that comment if I might?
    Japanese culture/language or thinking must have something to do with this and not thievery! When a Japanese breeder says this is my number one tosai or nissai or sansai, he means that AT THE MOMENT, this is my number one fish or number one fish FOR SALE. The consumer must know that he is not talking about his entire production from that spawn or all spawns, but rather the best fish that is left or the best fish he is selling after removing his fish for future grow out or for breeding. JR
    darion6 likes this.

To one breeder is a tategoi to another is chuppa. A great example of such a fish Loran. You can put a tub of tosai and even jumbo tosai in front of 5 different breeders and you'll get 5 different results of selection. A hobbyist must understand several things in selection of any given koi not just tategoi:

Skin quality
    Bodyline and portion
    Sumi and beni quality
    Pattern

If you can foresee the future of a fish in your mind or opinion that is in front of you then that is all that matters and not this term "tategoi".
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast