Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: whats a tategoi??

Nisai
    Thank you, JR, for further clarification the business practice of Japanese breeders.

A dealers who claims to have "tategoi" tosai (in the $1K range for female?) from the breeder pond destined for mud ponds (due to special relationship!) is a very brazen liar. MA. Le

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Koimann View Post
    Hi SK,
    Sometime breeders say that this or that koi is their No.1 tosai, nisai or sansai.They will sell to you but on condition that you have to keep the koi under their care.Are these kois consider tategois?
    Hello, Koimann. I think that if we know a breeder very well and trust each other, it's tategoi.
    I don't know well how is working in U.S market but it is popular way to sale good potential tosai or nisai that price includes one season mud pond fee plus guaranteed female in Japan. usually we have to select by ourselves from his Kashira Mawari (= top group fishes). Also it is so difficult to find a mud pond in these years because they do not want to mix kois from others....KHV problem.

It's depend on breeders but usually they don't want to sale their real No1 fish easily..... they have their own best & favorite customers & dealers.
    Also,there is a kind of joke but true.....After No1 fish sold.....then No2 fish become a new No1 for new customer so there is always No1 fish

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kindai View Post
    Hello, Koimann. I think that if we know a breeder very well and trust each other, it's tategoi.
    I don't know well how is working in U.S market but it is popular way to sale good potential tosai or nisai that price includes one season mud pond fee plus guaranteed female in Japan. usually we have to select by ourselves from his Kashira Mawari (= top group fishes). Also it is so difficult to find a mud pond in these years because they do not want to mix kois from others....KHV problem.

It's depend on breeders but usually they don't want to sale their real No1 fish easily..... they have their own best & favorite customers & dealers.
    Also,there is a kind of joke but true.....After No1 fish sold.....then No2 fish become a new No1 for new customer so there is always No1 fish
    Hi SK,
    Thank you for the clarification. I liked your last sentence on ...After No1 fish is sold..then No2 fish becomes No1.

Quote Originally Posted by mynamy1 View Post
    OK, are you going to show us the swan soon? MA.Le
    i'm sure you recognize it now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails whats a tategoi??-2005ajgcshowa.jpg  

Nisai
    Thanks, dcny. The first picture's low resolution gave me an impression of an Aquascape pond's mutt. Now when look again I do see the body conformation is so super? What's a lesson to learn! MA. Le

I was taught that tategoi means "keep fish". Is this correct? If so, then any fish you are allowed to purchase is not a tategoi and the only way you can posses a tategoi is to have bred it yourself. It also implies that an individual koi can be a tategoi because the breeder is curious about how it will turn out - not necessarily because he is certain it will turn out great.

-stev

thats what i thought it meant also but i guess it not...

so whats the "final" definiton of a tategoi?

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by mynamy1 View Post
    Thank you, JR, for further clarification the business practice of Japanese breeders.

A dealers who claims to have "tategoi" tosai (in the $1K range for female?) from the breeder pond destined for mud ponds (due to special relationship!) is a very brazen liar. MA. Le
    It's hard to believe that a breeder would let go of 50 of his "Top" Jumbo tosai without offering to leave in the mudpond. So what is the future of a Jumbo Tosai here in the states without a mudpond?

i guess they "suffer" slow-er growth?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast