Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: antibiotic injections

Tosai

antibiotic injections

Hi, is there anyone currently online that could talk me through giving an antibiotic injection? If so, post or pm me> thanks

well, I hope you got your PM, hate to see a thread with nothing on it.

Injecting fish I feel is best learned from having someone show you and explain the different methods and injection sites according to medicine used.

back in the good old days when folks were just learning, i handled most of that for the club and area ponders. Every once in a while I run across one of the olde timers who still remembers me that way and uses my nick name back then.....dr dick...LOL

Since that time, I have stressed in my own keeping and seminars the importance of prevention instead of cure. Find it lots easier to deal with
    physically and emotionally

Tosai

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    well, I hope you got your PM, hate to see a thread with nothing on it.

Injecting fish I feel is best learned from having someone show you and explain the different methods and injection sites according to medicine used.

back in the good old days when folks were just learning, i handled most of that for the club and area ponders. Every once in a while I run across one of the olde timers who still remembers me that way and uses my nick name back then.....dr dick...LOL

Since that time, I have stressed in my own keeping and seminars the importance of prevention instead of cure. Find it lots easier to deal with
    physically and emotionally
    Yes, I managed to get it done with the help of kha. She talked me through it over the phone for the first injection yesterday. It went very well, and I managed to give the second dose of antibiotic by myself today. I was a nervous wreck both times---my stomach was clenched in huge knots! but I was a little more confident today so I am hoping the last three will each get easier.

I know prevention is better, but I am still in that sharp learning curve. I must say, this is a hobby you have to learn the basics in very quickly or you will completely drown in ignorance.

I am also happy to report that my koi is about 90% better-the change has amazed me...still won't eat but I am guessing that is because his mouth is sore from the mouth rot?

Smile

happy to hear you found a kha advisor. It gets easier to use the needle after you get used to it. I used to be uptight too, but found the koi sense this and it makes them harder to handle. So relax. When antibiotics are needed it helps to be johnny on the spoit to get the infection stopped. Those who hesitate just make it tuffer.

Hang in there, it is a sharp incline for a learning curve but gets better..