Home | About Us | Contact Us


Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Term "Koi Kichi".

  1. #1
    Nisai
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    56

    Term "Koi Kichi".

    Can someone be "Koi Kichi" if one doesn't have a pond? I find that 100% of the study of koi is from one's own experience with their koi and pond.

  2. #2
    Daihonmei dick benbow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    seattle, wa
    Posts
    6,340

    Smile

    when we got Puget Sound Koi Club up and running one of our officers for years never built a pond or owned a koi. Loved the hobby, worked hard at contributing but never built a koi pond. Jim was Koi Kichii alright...just lived the hobby vicariously thru other's ponds....

  3. #3
    Daihonmei
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,642
    Koi Kichi, coined in the west by Peter Waddington, is a Japanese descriptive term for a ' koi maniac'. Meaning some one who is completely obsessed with koi. If the shoe or 'sandal' fits------

  4. #4
    Honmei Brutuscz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,826
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    when we got Puget Sound Koi Club up and running one of our officers for years never built a pond or owned a koi. Loved the hobby, worked hard at contributing but never built a koi pond. Jim was Koi Kichii alright...just lived the hobby vicariously thru other's ponds....
    Thats just plain weird to me. It's like being a stamp collector without owning any stamps?!?!

  5. #5
    Daihonmei aquitori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NorCal Biotch!!!
    Posts
    9,133
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutuscz View Post
    Thats just plain weird to me. It's like being a stamp collector without owning any stamps?!?!
    It's not weird, it's just stupid. Atleast my one koi friend has a tank to keep koi and he wins shows with the fish in that damn tank...One thing I do like is the "bandwagon" aspect of being koi-kichi.

  6. #6
    Honmei Brutuscz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,826
    I was trying to be nice!!!LOL!! Next, he's going to start going to PTA meetings..even though he doesn't have any kids..LOL!!! ROFLMAO!!!

  7. #7
    Daihonmei aquitori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NorCal Biotch!!!
    Posts
    9,133
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutuscz View Post
    I was trying to be nice!!!LOL!! Next, he's going to start going to PTA meetings..even though he doesn't have any kids..LOL!!! ROFLMAO!!!
    Next thing you know we'll have koi judges who no pond....

  8. #8
    Jumbo
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    between Okeefenokee and Ichetucknee
    Posts
    750
    Doesn't sound weird to me. The fish are intoxicating. Check out the posts of AkaiSan, mostly before you were here Brutuszki, who called himself the No Pond Newbie. He is now living in Japan instead of Hawaii and may have a pond. Many many discussions started with his enthusiastic questions. A koi kichi without a pond.

    GoldMT is planning out a 100,000g pond in Washington state, doesn't have one now. Little crazy. Like twisted man. In a knot.

    Where you been Tonio?

  9. #9
    Daihonmei aquitori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NorCal Biotch!!!
    Posts
    9,133
    Quote Originally Posted by mitten View Post
    Doesn't sound weird to me. The fish are intoxicating. Check out the posts of AkaiSan, mostly before you were here Brutuszki, who called himself the No Pond Newbie. He is now living in Japan instead of Hawaii and may have a pond. Many many discussions started with his enthusiastic questions. A koi kichi without a pond.

    GoldMT is planning out a 100,000g pond in Washington state, doesn't have one now. Little crazy. Like twisted man. In a knot.

    Where you been Tonio?
    I have been working, studying koi and goldfish and planning my next trip to Japan this fall. I have to say thou Mickey, I have enjoyed the last few weeks without the BS of the koi club here in NorCal and I feel as thou koi is more interesting again. Well anyways, hope to see you again in NorCal.

  10. #10
    Honmei Brutuscz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,826
    Mickey...seems we have someone in common. Talked to Steve Stone..says he hung with you. He's a great guy...kind of my koi mentor in Ct. Learned a great deal from him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. "Koi-Kichi" Filter
    By Dan B in forum Pond Construction
    Replies: 316
    Last Post: 12-03-2010, 08:48 PM
  2. Judging Koi: "On The Day" vs "Quality"
    By MikeM in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 07-03-2008, 04:02 AM
  3. What is "Koi-Kichi"?
    By aquitori in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-29-2006, 03:55 PM
  4. Is the term "tategoi" used for human being
    By TategoiKohaku in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-30-2005, 12:27 PM
  5. The term "Professional" in the koi hobby....
    By aquitori in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 02:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Articles - Sitemap - FAQs and Rules

KB Footer Graphic
Straight from Japan... For the serious hobbyist!
All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com