Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rambling about koi health

rambling about koi health

It has been my observation over the years that there are those kind of koi that stay healthy no matter what, and those kind that as soon as you get them back on their feet, they're down again with something else. Any body else sensed that experience?

I think lots of things prior to our receiving the koi seem to set them up for health or failure dispite our best efforts. In bonsai terms....the twig is already bent......

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    It has been my observation over the years that there are those kind of koi that stay healthy no matter what, and those kind that as soon as you get them back on their feet, they're down again with something else. Any body else sensed that experience?

I think lots of things prior to our receiving the koi seem to set them up for health or failure dispite our best efforts. In bonsai terms....the twig is already bent......
    Dick

I know EXACTLY what you mean. Have had a few of those that, despite what you do, they're your constant problem child. I think, in this case, the twig was broken and was tried to be glued back together - LOL!!

Mike

I know EXACTLY what you mean as well .
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

I have a shiro utsuri that when there is the slightest stress she immediately breaks with a bacterial infestation. She is my oldest and biggest but I believe she has the worst immune system!!

I am right on the same page. I have a hi utsuri, shusui and shiro utsuri that constantly get injuries or ulcers. I bought my shiro utsuri the same time as another one. The other one is in my avatar..growing beautifully and won at a show. The Former is always getting ulcers, tail rot..you name it. Always recovering from something and never growing too much.

I have a ginrin sanke that I bought at 3-4 inches. It developed dropsey right away. Treated it with nitrofurazone in the water and antibiotic food. Recovered fine. Got a torn dorsal fin..recovered. Grew way too quickly..got a crooked spine. Somehow..with good nutrition and time, recovered and won it's class at a show. Then had a lymphocyst on one fin. Wanted to photograph it for the KP online show. Suddenly, the lymphocyst disappeared after a year. Got my photo and in the show at 12-14 inches. I call this fish Lou..after lou Gehrig. Really the iron man of my pond!!

If your desire to succeed is greater than your desire to fail, then you will succeed.

What is it about shiros? Two of the three I had problems with were shiros! My partner just lost his Hosokai Shiro I picked for him last fall. The whole right side of the head was swollen, including the eye. He tried everything and nothing worked. Shiro are one of my favorite varieties. I have two. One is from my first trip to Japan in 2001. Naturally, when I introduced it into the main pond in 2003, a month later it tried to eat a bee. Got stung on the mouth, got infected and when healed it grew back with a crooked lip. Still eats fine but what do you have to do to KEEP a good shiro healthy - or is it just my luck?!?!?!

Mike

I really believe it is the immune system of the fish. I think that they are often closely bred..and this is what happens. I read an interview with Omosako...he said he was using very closely related parents in the begining..and many of the fry were deformed. I was think..DUH...what did you think would happen?!?! Now..he doesn't do that anymore. But, I think it goes on more than we know. Parents too closely related. Anyone from West Virginia want to chime in..LOL
    Even if there are no physical deformities..the immune system can simply be lousy from this situation.
    I can say I have the most trouble with shusui being skittish and jumping. I remember seeing about 10 tanks of mixed types and quality at a wholesaler...but the shusui always seem to end up on the floor. Don't know why they are the first to jump

bet if he had some asagi's they';d ahve beaten the shusui's there!

True...he says it's always the blue ones that jump!! Never understood why so skittish? Their feeling blue..and goin over the wall!!

Mike, I'm with you on the shiros. I don't think it has anything to do with luck. My sanke, yamabuki ogon, shusui, and my kujaku are all healthy. That shiro of mine just gets so stressed. I added two little 5 inchers into the pond and she automatically came down with a bacterial infection which lead to fin rot in one day! I treat her and in no time she is back healthy as ever. Never losses her appetite though. I call her Godzilla because she is a monster and eats like Godzilla. I'll put a pic on here of her in awhile. See what you guys think of my troublesome child.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast