Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Pond Aerator...

DIY Pond Aerator...

Last weekend I built a DIY pond aerator to help keep the water well oxygenated in our 5,500-gallon growout pond. This project was extremely simple to complete -- requiring only a 1.5" PVC pipe, a 1.5" PVC end cap and a flex tube connector. I actually built two of these units; however, I will not add the second unit until I purchase a more powerful pump and a UV clarifier in the next month or so...

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by JosephandGabby View Post
    Last weekend I built a DIY pond aerator to help keep the water well oxygenated in our 5,500-gallon growout pond. This project was extremely simple to complete -- requiring only a 1.5" PVC pipe, a 1.5" PVC end cap and a flex tube connector. I actually built two of these units; however, I will not add the second unit until I purchase a more powerful pump and a UV clarifier in the next month or so...

An air pump with air stones in the tank would still be much better for the Koi.

Blog Entries
    I think you can buy a 150liter air pump for less than $140...

AV-50 Air Pump

Lot more effective in aerating, especially during the summer months.

I actually don't think I need any additional aeration since I already have a waterfall located in the center of the pond powered by a 7,000GPH external pump. I justed decided to add an additional aerator since I had an extra submersble pump laying around. I have built DIY venturi's in the past and these worked extremely well, as did simply using reducers on my pipe returns to create a jet effect when the water hits the pond surface. I'm planning to add another aerator, along with a UV clarifier, in the next month or so -- when I buy a more powerful pump. I know air stones work great for ponds, I just haven't gotten around to buying one yet...I'm sure I will sometime in the future. Whereas I can buy a pond aerator pump for $150 or so, I can build a DIY venturi and integrate it with my current setup for under $20...
    Three ponds, too many Koi, and one very angry wife...

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by JosephandGabby View Post
    I actually don't think I need any additional aeration since I already have a waterfall located in the center of the pond powered by a 7,000GPH external pump. I justed decided to add an additional aerator since I had an extra submersble pump laying around. I have built DIY venturi's in the past and these worked extremely well, as did simply using reducers on my pipe returns to create a jet effect when the water hits the pond surface. I'm planning to add another aerator, along with a UV clarifier, in the next month or so -- when I buy a more powerful pump. I know air stones work great for ponds, I just haven't gotten around to buying one yet...I'm sure I will sometime in the future. Whereas I can buy a pond aerator pump for $150 or so, I can build a DIY venturi and integrate it with my current setup for under $20...
    NOTHING does aeration like an air pump. You are limiting and endangering your Koi by not using an air pump to save a few dollars. It does not make sense. Do you actually know how little a waterfall does for adding oxygen?

I posted the DIY aerator because I thought some would find it useful. Again, I have no doubts an aerator pump is effective to help keep a pond well oxygenated. Based on my own experience; however, after having a pond running for over 4 years without the use of an air pump, I can honestly say that in my particular setup I don't believe I am doing anything inherently wrong by not using an air pump. With that said, I'm sure I will get around to adding an air pump sometime in the future...

The amount of dissolved oxygen (D.O.) in a pond/filter system is one of the most important and also overlooked elements necessary to the health of a pond and it's residents. For about $12 you can buy a oxygen test kit and easily test your pond water for amount of D.O. There will be a chart in the kit that tells you how much oxygen can be dissolved in water dependent on water temperture so you also need a acurate pond thermometer. The warmer the water the less oxygen it can hold in solution. Cooler water about 70F can hold about 9 ppm of D.O. compared to warmer water say over 85F that can only hold about 7.5 ppm of D.O.

Koi can survive but are stressed in water containing less than 75% saturation or lets say less than 5.6 ppm at 85F. Remember that the beneficial bacteria in your filters require D.O. and there is a oxygen demand from any decaying material in the water and green plants like algae utilize oxygen at night and release oxygen during the daylight hours.

Fish kills occur when D.O falls below 50% of saturation.

However less than ideal oxygen levels will limit growth and stress your koi and the beneficial bacteria in your system and long term lead to health issues sooner or later. It is impossible to know what the true D.O. levels are without testing. Most koi hobbists are amazed when they find out their actual level of D.O.

You should be testing first thing in the morning in warm weather to find the current D.O. level. Add additional aeration and water circulation until your D.O. levels approach the saturation level in early morning in summertime water temps.

A good rule of thumb is to add the equalivent of 40 liters of air per minute via multiple airstones or equalivent aeration devices for each 1,250 U.S. gallons of total pond/filter volume. Water has to fall from a significant height to gain
    significant levels of D. O.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by RayJordan View Post
    The amount of dissolved oxygen (D.O.) in a pond/filter system is one of the most important and also overlooked elements necessary to the health of a pond and it's residents. For about $12 you can buy a oxygen test kit and easily test your pond water for amount of D.O. There will be a chart in the kit that tells you how much oxygen can be dissolved in water dependent on water temperture so you also need a acurate pond thermometer. The warmer the water the less oxygen it can hold in solution. Cooler water about 70F can hold about 9 ppm of D.O. compared to warmer water say over 85F that can only hold about 7.5 ppm of D.O.

Koi can survive but are stressed in water containing less than 75% saturation or lets say less than 5.6 ppm at 85F. Remember that the beneficial bacteria in your filters require D.O. and there is a oxygen demand from any decaying material in the water and green plants like algae utilize oxygen at night and release oxygen during the daylight hours.

Fish kills occur when D.O falls below 50% of saturation.

However less than ideal oxygen levels will limit growth and stress your koi and the beneficial bacteria in your system and long term lead to health issues sooner or later. It is impossible to know what the true D.O. levels are without testing. Most koi hobbists are amazed when they find out their actual level of D.O.

You should be testing first thing in the morning in warm weather to find the current D.O. level. Add additional aeration and water circulation until your D.O. levels approach the saturation level in early morning in summertime water temps.

A good rule of thumb is to add the equalivent of 40 liters of air per minute via multiple airstones or equalivent aeration devices for each 1,250 U.S. gallons of total pond/filter volume. Water has to fall from a significant height to gain
    significant levels of D. O.
    Thank You Ray, well said and a necessary bit of information. Koi can survive without the proper amount of D.O. , but they may not thrive.

Blog Entries
    The thought of a submersible in the pond again bring back bad memories....For the price of one 150L air pump for $140, I can run many ah many ponds.... Plus it is probably cheaper per month on the power bill...

Hi everyone,
    This thread is simply getting better and better. Now I know what happened to my kois while I was still in the Philippines. Not so many gadgets back then like all these tester that we have now. Again thank you guys for sharing your knowledge.
    Mikey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast