Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intex Swimming Pool use as Koi Pond???

Fry
    Thanks Mitten, I did fill out the info....surprisingly hard to list my hobbies! I kept drawing a blank, maybe I have too many!

As for the Grandma with the Oldsmobile, good guess!...That's me! It is a 1955 Olds Holiday 98, 4 door hardtop. She is pretty much a pet these days. But when my kids were in school, I drove it daily, and they were the kids with the cool old car.

I can't afford to have as many old cars as I can have average quality koi...or I probably would have them, too! Collecting is a sickness.....
    Kathleen

Jumbo
    Thank you dearie and welcome.

The cars left the barn here when the fish took all the old fart's time and I needed the space for more water.

I use hard sided tanks though I have an Intek stashed in the loft. One is 900g the other is 1350g. They run all the time. Their purposes vary but they are fully permanently filtered, which is a big advantage for me. I do also have a 375g, that I use only when needed, storing its media in the 900g system to keep it tuned up, like a Rocket.

Fry
    Cheers everyone, first time out and loves this place. A lot of valuable info and interesting koi stories!

Like to reactivate this old thread. I have a intex 15' X 42" pool that I use as my primary koi pond. Have 3 separate pump each doing filtration work. a 325gph pump with prefilter that pumps water up into a diy 35 gallon filter and drains into 2 pebble bed with water lettuce and sweet patato leaves then back into the pool. A 1000 gph pump that goes into a 55 gallon diy filter with media and drains back into pool via a 2 inch pipe around 18 inches above water level, giving it some aeration. Another 1000 gph pump with prefilter that feeds into a back flush pond pressure filter with 24w uv built in rated for 4000 gallons and then drains back into pool. I also have a petco air pump with 4 outlets that I connect into 4 1 litre bottles filled with k1 media and submerged 2 feet into the pool. The air pump gives decent aeration while the k1 does its work nitrifying contaminants.

I also fabricated 2 square floater from joined pvc pipes holding water lettuce and duck weeds, they are roughly 2'x2'. This provides some shades and hiding area for the fish, and the duck weeds a little snack for them.

The pond is filled up to roughly 55% full, so it's got probably close to 2000 gallons of water. It's pretty well stocked. I have 12 small koi around 4~6", 6 koi around 6~8", and 8 larger ones around 10~12".

It's not an ideal set up, and i think i might be wasting some electricity with multiple pumps. Althogh the three pumps added together doesn't generate as much wattage as a single larger pump. The pond's been set up and filtration running 24/7 since november of last year. I finally got the nitrite level done to .25ppm this month. The prefilters are constantly clogging up with fish gooes. But I clean them once or twice a week and the larger filter seems to endure much less gunk build up. I haven't clean the larger filter yet but it's harder to gauge whether they are dirty or not since the gunk are on the bottom of the drum.

Anyway, love to hear about your kiddie pool set up. This is my first one!

I have a separate concrete pool roughly 1000 gallons with water fall, 24w uv and a 100 gallon filter tank filled with japanese mat, it's running strong with nice filtration and clean water. But it has 2 huge granite rock in them that makes them less ideal for koi. So I keep only a few in it.

Theo

MCA
    I can see one as temp holding tank while building a koi pond. But as a permanent hobbyist pond? Depth? Aerated bottom drains? TPRs?

Fry
    There are no bottom drains on mine, I don't know how to set that up.

The pool bottom looks pretty clean with 3 pumps working at opposite angles. Depth is quite decent at 2.5'. I netted the top to keep them from jumping out, and birds/ wild animals from going in. I erected a 6' high tarp to cover 80% of the pool, so it's away from rain and direct sun light. It's nestled in between 2 large trees and 1 small apple tree, so it's not quite out in the open. I've been thinking about adding insulation to keep the wind from changing the water temp too much.

Any ideas on how to set up insulation?

Quote Originally Posted by maruzo View Post
    Cheers everyone, first time out and loves this place. A lot of valuable info and interesting koi stories!

Like to reactivate this old thread. I have a intex 15' X 42" pool that I use as my primary koi pond. Have 3 separate pump each doing filtration work. a 325gph pump with prefilter that pumps water up into a diy 35 gallon filter and drains into 2 pebble bed with water lettuce and sweet patato leaves then back into the pool. A 1000 gph pump that goes into a 55 gallon diy filter with media and drains back into pool via a 2 inch pipe around 18 inches above water level, giving it some aeration. Another 1000 gph pump with prefilter that feeds into a back flush pond pressure filter with 24w uv built in rated for 4000 gallons and then drains back into pool. I also have a petco air pump with 4 outlets that I connect into 4 1 litre bottles filled with k1 media and submerged 2 feet into the pool. The air pump gives decent aeration while the k1 does its work nitrifying contaminants.

I also fabricated 2 square floater from joined pvc pipes holding water lettuce and duck weeds, they are roughly 2'x2'. This provides some shades and hiding area for the fish, and the duck weeds a little snack for them.

The pond is filled up to roughly 55% full, so it's got probably close to 2000 gallons of water. It's pretty well stocked. I have 12 small koi around 4~6", 6 koi around 6~8", and 8 larger ones around 10~12".

It's not an ideal set up, and i think i might be wasting some electricity with multiple pumps. Althogh the three pumps added together doesn't generate as much wattage as a single larger pump. The pond's been set up and filtration running 24/7 since november of last year. I finally got the nitrite level done to .25ppm this month. The prefilters are constantly clogging up with fish gooes. But I clean them once or twice a week and the larger filter seems to endure much less gunk build up. I haven't clean the larger filter yet but it's harder to gauge whether they are dirty or not since the gunk are on the bottom of the drum.

Anyway, love to hear about your kiddie pool set up. This is my first one!

I have a separate concrete pool roughly 1000 gallons with water fall, 24w uv and a 100 gallon filter tank filled with japanese mat, it's running strong with nice filtration and clean water. But it has 2 huge granite rock in them that makes them less ideal for koi. So I keep only a few in it.

Theo
    please post a couple of pic. To see your set up

Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by An Ly View Post
    please post a couple of pic. To see your set up
    I posted some pictures yesterday, but i guess it's still waiting for a moderator's approval.

MCA
    Maruzo and An Ly

Please put your location in your profile so folks know roughly where you are located. It can make a big difference in the comments and advice. Things that work in south Texas may not be a great idea in North Dakota.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12