Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My own filter design

My own filter design

I've made this new filter for my pond. It's a Bakki/Easy combo concept.

The first two trays has progressive matala in it and the last tank has static K1 for fines filtration. The last tank is postioned so that it's about two 3rds full of water so that the static Kaldness can do it's job. To clean it I simply close the valve on the pond retun, start the air to aggitate and then flush the water to waste. My main idea was for this to replace my old style sand filter with someting better. But I guess this will give good biological filtration as well. Bonus is this kind of bakki shower can be situated away from the pond in the pump house. My water has never been clearer because everything is now running at a higher turnover (multiport valves has such a limted flow!) I found because of the size of the bottom tray it can, if need to run for up to 6 weeks before I need to flush it.

The water is pulled from a settlement vortex so the water comming into it is pretty good allready.

Let me know what you think of my idea.....

And please give me some feedback on the two tosai I posted earlier!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My own filter design-new009_800x533.jpg   My own filter design-new011_800x533.jpg   My own filter design-new013_800x533.jpg   My own filter design-new015_800x533.jpg   My own filter design-new018_400x600.jpg  

Very nice, I wish I have something like this, looks very advance like its from a manufacture, I have a Savio the waterfall type good for 5000G, my pond is only 2000G, it works great, the Springflow in it for biomedia is awesome, I clean it once every 2 months or so, very easy to clean, takes less than 2 minute.

The water is pulled from a settlement vortex so the water comming into it is pretty good allready.

This should work very well especially that you are useing a settlement vortex a big congratulations
    Regards
    Eugene

[quote=Erns;82299]The water is pulled from a settlement vortex so the water comming into it is pretty good allready.

Erns
    nice set up. where's the water coming from into the vortex ? the bottom drain? the skimmer ?

a wonderful design.

show my design.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My own filter design-dsc02126_lx5qt0lhi4jh.jpg   My own filter design-dsc02133_e2ui3hzdkk8v.jpg   My own filter design-imgp0448_wsuz9pbkn2t3.jpg  

Settlement vortex from bottom drains.

Daihonmei
    very nice. I really like the quality of your work! Did you manufacture these? Or have them custom made? Or find just the right thing originally made for another application? JR

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    very nice. I really like the quality of your work! Did you manufacture these? Or have them custom made? Or find just the right thing originally made for another application? JR
    I've got some good friends in the custom job industry. I designed and I did the plumming. They made the stainless parts. I had it made to fit in the space I had for it as my garage doubles as a filter room! See my thread on 'show us your pond'
    Last edited by Erns; 06-04-2007 at 12:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Daihonmei
    I will , I'll go check it out. Exceptional design- clean and functional. I made a lot of filters in my time and one bit of advice I'd give those thinking about designing their own filters- use materials that resist water damage. Wood coated with sealers will not hold up long term. No mattter how many coats of poly u..
    Really nice work Erns. Well done.

JR

Impressive. But having seen pix of your pump house/filter room, I'm not surprised.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast