Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to choose a Tosai Ogon

How to choose a Tosai Ogon

Hi Pro-folks, Let's share your knowledge on how would you choose a tosai Ogon?

Two comparison here, would you choose one with lighter yellow or darker yellow? What is the criteria for a potential Ogon?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to choose a Tosai Ogon-tosai-ogon.jpg  

I have always been taught that when choosing a small yellow ogon...look for the absolute palest yellow you can find. Then, as they grow, the color should deepen. If you choose one that is already a deep yellow when small..it might head towards an orange coloration. Of course conformation is very important in this variety...full body and nice big pectoral fins. The one on the right doesn't look like a ginrin yellow ogon. Is it a ginrin platinum ogon? Might just be the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutuscz View Post
    I have always been taught that when choosing a small yellow ogon...look for the absolute palest yellow you can find. Then, as they grow, the color should deepen. If you choose one that is already a deep yellow when small..it might head towards an orange coloration. Of course conformation is very important in this variety...full body and nice big pectoral fins. The one on the right doesn't look like a ginrin yellow ogon. Is it a ginrin platinum ogon? Might just be the picture.
    Thanks for your feedback, the one on the right is also Yamabuki Ogon, but yes I agreed with you. It is looked like Platinum Ogon to me too. I was told to choose lighter shade of yellow or creamy colored is a better b'cos as it will turn more yellow when its turn sansai. Is it true?

Beside, we also choose Ogon few of these criteria like clean and smooth head with a large head and large pectoral fins. Any advise?

eenee,minee, mineey, moe

choosing tosai Ogon, I will gladly cover but what is being shown as an example is GR and Gin Rin is quite different than standard wagoi. I think most people while attracted to GR still look for the pattern or in this case the color of the prospect when in fact, it's GR that's important as #1 priority.

Body stucture is always the #1 priority in picking year old ogons. Put all you have to choose from in one blue bowl and then look first for the weakest fault of this color variety. When you find koi with under sized pecs they're removed.
    Next we look for proper head shapes. many ogons have a head too short or too long "dolphin head". These too are removed. Now we look for a total body length from nose tip to tail end that is 4 and 1/2 heads long. if shorter, they are eliminated. Finally now we get into the color and with yamabuki, it is true you want the lightest one. There are some rare varieties, one bred by hasakawa called creme ogon, that don't fit this criteria but I digress.......

With the platinums or purachinas, you are looking at the hikari or sheen as well.

In GR take the koi outside in the light and then have your eye travel down to the tail. make sure there are no soft or weaker patches of GR, all the same strong presence coming thru the color. if you find soft spots, eliminate this koi from selection.

amazing as you think about all the things I pointed out that go into selection
    that something so simple as an Ogon you would have to keep all this in mind.

Real good lesson, Dick. Thanks.

You almost make it sound easy, but I've read that because of their solid color it makes all the other factors even more critical -- since there won't be any pattern to hide flaws.

that's an excellent point, Don.....

Good points Dick. With ogons the body is paramount, but start first by looking at the sheen on the head and shoulders. If you do not have a thick, even layer here there is no point in looking at the body. You can whittle the numbers down quickly and then focus on other criteria. However, light can play tricks on you when looking at young ogons. Be sure to see the fish from various angles and in different light to get a good gauge. It is maddening to sort ogons for days on end. When they are young the difference between the best and a so so koi is very small.

I would add to all the rest.......pick one when a dealer has a new large selection in, and I emphasize Large, which will give you a reasonable chance to find a good one. Sorting through 20 at a a koi shop, in most cases, won't do that. When you a hundred or so....makes it easy.

in Niigata , the term for sorting purchinas is 'snow blind"....lol.

say Richard, what's a gosanke breeder like yourself doing sorting hikari?

For a change of pace Dick. That and I love yamabuki. A good yamabuki just improves every year. I spawn one pair and then divide the fry into each of the gosanke ponds I am filling that week. This way I can deal with them at the same time I am sorting gosanke and it keeps my eyes fresh. The one draw back is that they are such aggressive fish that you have to give the kohakus and sanke a head start.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast