Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY Foam Fractionator . . .

ppp
    The German one that my dealer is bringing in for my 100 ton pond (approx 26,000 US gallons?) is costing me an arm and a leg (and probably a wife as well). About the equivalent of USD 7,500.

thank you for sharing

Don,

I like this setup because it doesn't require a water pump. hope you don't mind but I have a few questions to help me understand it better.

Q1. how far apart between the waste output and return pipe?
    Q2. the 6" section you added. is that between the T of waste output and T of return pipe?
    Q3. if you don't mind, please put some finished dimensions on your final setup

anything you feel helpful the newbies will be appreciated. thanks in advance!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nguyen View Post
    Q1. how far apart between the waste output and return pipe?
    Q2. the 6" section you added. is that between the T of waste output and T of return pipe?
    Q3. if you don't mind, please put some finished dimensions on your final setup
    Steve . . .

Q1. About 10"
    Q2. No; in the photos the return pipe ends in a 90 degree fitting aimed sideways; turn that fitting downwards and then insert the 6" section of 1 1/2" pipe
    Q3. When I remove the unit from the pond to re-plumb it I'll try to remember to get some.

Take a look at this one as well. It's pretty simple but works pretty well. They have a new model that's got it's own pump and it's very effective. A friend got one and he run his on a timer in the morning. Great results. They are not expensive at all.

Ultra Zap

Hi Erns,

Thanks for the link, looks like one could DIY that unit.

Quote Originally Posted by KoiCop View Post
    Bought an additional air pump (Hi Blow 40 lpm) last week to add supplemental air to the pond and was running it with 3 large, round Japanese airstones. We already run 160 lpm between the two aerated bottom drains and the two upflow J-mat bio chambers.

Then I got a bright idea: I'd make one of those DIY foam fractionators (they're also called protein skimmers) and really put the new stones to good use.

I reviewed a diagram I'd recently seen on Koi Chat and off I went to the local hardware store, where a helpful floorman helped me find the requisite parts, glue, etc. in the ABS section.

Put this together in under 60 minutes for about $30 (and I'm not a DIY guy).

While it works great, getting the proper 'flow' by balancing the pond's level, the foam spout's height above the water level, and the amount of air upflowed in the main tube has been 'entertaining' to say the least. Some combinations fill the 5 gallon bucket in 5 minutes -- while others won't fill it in 24 hours.

I've had to turn off one of the two stones in the main tube and raise the unit two inches to get what I think is an 'optimum' flow rate (as judged by the color of the water in the bucket).

When the weighted air line I ordered gets here, I'll replumb the unit and run with two stones in the pond and only one in the FF. I'll also move the air pump and eliminate the bucket; I'll run the dischage line directly to an adjacent planter.

R to L: Cap (3" rubber), upper spacer (3" ABS, 4" length), upper T (3" x 1 1/2" x 3", drilled with two 1/4" holes for airlines), clean out plug (threaded, 1 1/2", drilled with nine 1/4 " holes for air lines and for foam to exit), extender (1 1/2" with threaded top), reducer (3" to 1 1/2"), lower spacer (3" ABS, 3" length), lower T (3" x 1 1/2" x 3"), main tube (3" ABS, 24" length). The two arms (upper = waste; lower - water return) are 1 1/2" ABS.

I later had to add a 6" section aimed downward to the return arm and point it downwards to keep the air in the main tube from exiting with the discharge water. I also increased the length of the spacer between the discharge T and the reducer from 3" to 8" to increase the bubbles' dwell time in the main tube.

. 36" ruler for comparison

. Voila!

For anyone that doesn't completely understand the principles involved, here's an excellent link:

protein skimmer: Information from Answers.com

How has this worked for you, Don? I am thinking of trying one if you've had lots of success with it...

Ethan

I just built this yesterday but haven't had time to hook it up to an air pump yet.

It was very easy to build. I just haven't figured out how to connect the bottom "T" to the 3x1.5 reducer. The top kinda flops around.

Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    I just built this yesterday but haven't had time to hook it up to an air pump yet.

It was very easy to build. I just haven't figured out how to connect the bottom "T" to the 3x1.5 reducer. The top kinda flops around.

I don't really get how it works....does water pump into it somehow?

No, it works off an air pump and air stone. Kinda like an air lift.

I built the other one that used water and I could never get it to work. I'm hoping for more success with this one. I'm just waiting for a piece so I can tap into my airline and hook up to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    No, it works off an air pump and air stone. Kinda like an air lift.

I built the other one that used water and I could never get it to work. I'm hoping for more success with this one. I'm just waiting for a piece so I can tap into my airline and hook up to this one.

How much are are we talking about to run it? Could I split my 50 lpm pump to the bottom drain and this thing?

Ethan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast