Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: your thoughts on BKKS GC

your thoughts on BKKS GC

Were you surprised to see a matsunosuke kohaku bred by the master taking top prize in the UK? I know Russ has some pretty strong ties with Toshio....

ppp
    No odome but pattern is balanced. Although some may say this is a big fish pattern, and I don't dispute that, I find this kind of pattern a little on the boring side, but this is personal - I like more shiroji on my kohakus, but with hi quality like this, who's complaining? Its thick and uniform hi plate (typical matsonosuke) and its huge 90cm body size with excellent conformity probably won it the GC. I'll bet it has that wow factor when seen in person!

[IMG]http://www.*******.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=200750&stc=1&d=1182633 752[/IMG]

Picture courtesy of Mark gardner

maybe we can get someone to post a pic....doesn't look like i did us any good.

ppp
    Help you out here, Dick..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails your thoughts on BKKS GC-42bf1ab221b19b76.jpg  

Honmei
    It is so nice to see a Koi that wins because it has undeniable quality. This Kohaku has a typical Sakai big pattern and QUALITY!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ppp View Post
    Help you out here, Dick..
    That Kohak is owned by Bill Oakley, I am not surprised to see this Kohak win the BKKS.

ppp
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
    It is so nice to see a Koi that wins because it has undeniable quality. This Kohaku has a typical Sakai big pattern and QUALITY!!!!!!!!!
    Do you feel that undeserving koi sometimes win? Just curious why you said that...

Anyone know how old the koi is?

Daihonmei
    The moment of truth.

Having served as a member of jury and also as head judge, I can tell you that the judges go through a lot of anxious moments at GC judging time! These are the best of the best in the show and ONE has to be recognized as THE best. Younger judges will tax their nerves going over elements of the fish- which has the best skin, which has the best pattern, which has the best beni--- and so on--.

The answer for the GC however can be found in one simple question- which is the best fish? Meaning, overall which is the fish that best describes the term Supreme Champion?
    I know that many would have bite on the very large sanke, The very nicely patterened and bright kohaku or even been influenced by previous winning fish's reputation. But in the end, the choice was rather easy from my 'far away seating'. The fish that best describes a GC is one with rare conformation and rare quality. I have seen that kohaku grow up so to speak, over the years visiting Isawa. The quality of that fish was always almost unbelievable. In the net or bowl ( and after a while it could no longer fit in a bowl) it did not appear real as the beni was so very delicate yet as thick as a brick! The body was rare- perfectly proportioned with the ability to hold great volume. This is a fish that can hold even more volume. The pattern would be very boring and 'heavy' on a smaller fish , I agree. And when this fish was smaller that was a concern. But now, with that body size, skin and beni, the pattern works and is no longer a handicap. A very rare fish indeed. Congrats Bill! - JR

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by ppp View Post
    Do you feel that undeserving koi sometimes win? Just curious why you said that...
    Absolutely!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast