Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: has anyone used prazi before???

Tosai

has anyone used prazi before???

My koi have gill and body fluke and I took them all into a pool i have set up to treat them with prazi. I pp the pond where they were living. I did several treatments of pp on the pond, the water stayed purple on the last treatment for over 16 hrs so i assume that they are all dead in there.....but my other question is .......
    I just did a treatment of prazi today cause it came in i followed the directions and even called the company to make sure i was using the right dosage.....an hr later they are flashing left and right and when they are not flashing they come to the top...and sort of look as if gasping but not...they take in some of the slurry mix of the prazi (the people who make prazi says its normal to see a lil on top) and suck it in and go back down come for a min or two then start flashing a whole lot...is this normal??? please help i dont want them to get sick if this isnt what they should be doing....should i add more water or and take some out??? please help me and my wet freinds -jo

It has been observed that koi with a heavy infestation increase their flashing when Prazi is first used. It is speculated that the flukes get active due to the action of the Prazi on them. After a day or two the flashing subsides. ... you may also observe larger intestinal worms on the floor of the pond after 24-48 hours.

Whether this is what is occurring in your situation, I cannot say.

Also... if you used the correct dosage, do not do water change etc for 7-8 days. That takes care of the next generation of flukes hatching out.

[Being irrationally biased against PP for any purpose, I'll not comment on having created a dead pond zone.]

Yeah they tend to flash a bit when you put prazi in. I'll go ahead and assume you have an established filter and pump on your q tank that can handle the load right? As for pp to kill flukes...I would have left them all in the pond and just prazied the whole pond. Tougher on the wallet but better results in my experience.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Assuming what you are seeing is a reaction to Prazi. Whenever I have used it, approximately 1/2 or so fish begin flashing as flukes are starting to die. Flashing subsides and koi appear to be content.
    Without seeing your situation, I'm only speculating. Water parameters, filter etc. as others have mentioned, need to be right.

Quote Originally Posted by jnorth View Post
    Yeah they tend to flash a bit when you put prazi in. I'll go ahead and assume you have an established filter and pump on your q tank that can handle the load right? As for pp to kill flukes...I would have left them all in the pond and just prazied the whole pond. Tougher on the wallet but better results in my experience.
    Agree completely.....except not so tough on wallet if you kill a couple nice koi by incorrect treatment with PP. A whole lot cheaper to use Prazi in that case.