Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: melaleuca tea tree oil and your opinion

Tosai

melaleuca tea tree oil and your opinion

hello guys,
    I ran into a lady today whose husband used to breed Koi for Japanese restaurants. She said he breed in the 80's and 90's.
    We got to talking and I had told her my past Koi problems. All fish are doing well and back to normal, thank goodness. I let her know I had to use PP to treat parasites, and feed MediKoi for bacterial infections. I let her know my experience with the PP was OK, but I would prefer not to use chemicals that can be so caustic. I will stay with salt, and maybe Prazi or Supaverm just for flukes.
    She was telling me her husband used to use this melaleuca tea tree oil to help with wide spread infections. She said he would use it instead of injections, if he could, for sick fish that would not eat the Medicated food. She said the oil was cheaper than the injections. She said it would get the sick fish better enough to feel like eating, and then they would eat the medicated food, which would finally clear the infection. She said she swear by the stuff, because it is an herbal remedy and won't harm bio filter either. I read some on it, seems most of what she said is true about it the Koivet had an article on line about the Melafix, and said it does what she said it did and what the product label says, except that it may not be a antibacterial as much. The KoiVet says it's good and.
    I am wondering if it would be safe in the event of any widespread outbreak of something, like a bacterial gill disease or something along those lines, if it did what the woman said. Help the really sick feel better enough to eat Medicated food to really clear the infection.
    Has anyone used it, or does, if so what was your experience?
    I am trying to get a clear picture of what will work and not work for my pond, and minimize the use of caustic stuff like PP, unless terribly needed, as it was before. There were 5 types of parasites on the scope. I would like to steer clear of as many chemicals as I can. I know I need some, I have alot, just trying to figure out which stuff is the least stressful on the fish.
    Let me know what you think of the oil, and if you use it.
    from the KoiVets pics on line it does seems do do a suburb job with sore healing and tissue re-growth.
    Thanks, as always, for you knowledge,
    Carrie

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by kyari View Post
    hello guys,
    I ran into a lady today whose husband used to breed Koi for Japanese restaurants. She said he breed in the 80's and 90's.
    We got to talking and I had told her my past Koi problems. All fish are doing well and back to normal, thank goodness. I let her know I had to use PP to treat parasites, and feed MediKoi for bacterial infections. I let her know my experience with the PP was OK, but I would prefer not to use chemicals that can be so caustic. I will stay with salt, and maybe Prazi or Supaverm just for flukes.
    She was telling me her husband used to use this melaleuca tea tree oil to help with wide spread infections. She said he would use it instead of injections, if he could, for sick fish that would not eat the Medicated food. She said the oil was cheaper than the injections. She said it would get the sick fish better enough to feel like eating, and then they would eat the medicated food, which would finally clear the infection. She said she swear by the stuff, because it is an herbal remedy and won't harm bio filter either. I read some on it, seems most of what she said is true about it the Koivet had an article on line about the Melafix, and said it does what she said it did and what the product label says, except that it may not be a antibacterial as much. The KoiVet says it's good and.
    I am wondering if it would be safe in the event of any widespread outbreak of something, like a bacterial gill disease or something along those lines, if it did what the woman said. Help the really sick feel better enough to eat Medicated food to really clear the infection.
    Has anyone used it, or does, if so what was your experience?
    I am trying to get a clear picture of what will work and not work for my pond, and minimize the use of caustic stuff like PP, unless terribly needed, as it was before. There were 5 types of parasites on the scope. I would like to steer clear of as many chemicals as I can. I know I need some, I have alot, just trying to figure out which stuff is the least stressful on the fish.
    Let me know what you think of the oil, and if you use it.
    from the KoiVets pics on line it does seems do do a suburb job with sore healing and tissue re-growth.
    Thanks, as always, for you knowledge,
    Carrie
    I don't want to start a firestorm here, but I have used Melafix. If you have something as bad as a bacterial gill infection I would not recommend using Melafix. I think for sores and tissue regrowth there may be some benefit, but healthy water and heat go along way toward healing Koi as well.

I also have used the product and in conditions such as Russ mentioned I was happy with the results. bacterial gill disease? You need something more specific for the problem. Tea tree oil can be used for athelete's foot infections on humans......

Tosai

no current gill disease, just an "if" ques.

There is no current bacterial gill disease in my fish, I was a just using that one as an example of a widespread type outbreak, and if that would help in such as case. Trying to be prepared for anything! O don't think it would help with that one, it is so severe with the gills. But just any infection, to kind of just get them to a point where they would feel like eating and eat MedKoi, vs. inject right away. Does it heal wounds and ulcer and really help tissue re-growth? I have no fish with ulcers either, but another "just in case" I am finding that the more knowledge I get before they were to get anything more than the parasites I bombed, what would work, other than inject a real sick fish. About the only thing I don't have is injectable antibiotics. I should get some, which is the best, Baytril or another? Again, just in case, I want to be prepared before anything gets thrown at me! Or my fish!
    Thanks,
    Carrie

Melafix is not anti-bacterial.

It will, however, make the QT water smell good while the fish either heals or dies based largely upon the water temperature and -- more importantly -- the water quality.

Save your money for something more worthwhile.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by kyari View Post
    There is no current bacterial gill disease in my fish, I was a just using that one as an example of a widespread type outbreak, and if that would help in such as case. Trying to be prepared for anything! O don't think it would help with that one, it is so severe with the gills. But just any infection, to kind of just get them to a point where they would feel like eating and eat MedKoi, vs. inject right away. Does it heal wounds and ulcer and really help tissue re-growth? I have no fish with ulcers either, but another "just in case" I am finding that the more knowledge I get before they were to get anything more than the parasites I bombed, what would work, other than inject a real sick fish. About the only thing I don't have is injectable antibiotics. I should get some, which is the best, Baytril or another? Again, just in case, I want to be prepared before anything gets thrown at me! Or my fish!
    Thanks,
    Carrie
    I have had great success with both Baytril and Amikacin. It depends on what they have.
    Last edited by Russell Peters; 07-14-2007 at 11:04 AM.

I used to think that Melafix was just a snake oil for the superstitious. Then, a friend convinced me to try it on goldfish after treating for flukes or ick. Man, does it ever work. All those residual sores and streaks disappear overnight rather than taking a week to get back to normal. I'm sold on it now and use it whenever there is a superficial infection, a fish is dropped (stuff happens) or handled roughly.

If it will treat athletes foot, I wonder if it will cure toe nail fungus too?

-steve

I don't know steve if it would work on nail fungus but wouldn't surprise me if it would. my experience with it is similar to yours. Minor worrisome stuff it does very well with. I admit I have some on the shelf just for that purpose...

Quote Originally Posted by bekko View Post
    I used to think that Melafix was just a snake oil for the superstitious. Then, a friend convinced me to try it on goldfish after treating for flukes or ick. Man, does it ever work. All those residual sores and streaks disappear overnight rather than taking a week to get back to normal. I'm sold on it now and use it whenever there is a superficial infection, a fish is dropped (stuff happens) or handled roughly.

If it will treat athletes foot, I wonder if it will cure toe nail fungus too?

-steve
    Hey, hey...I'm the expert here on this stuff!!! I thought I wandered to the wrong website. When I'm not playing with fish, I'm actually a podiatrist.
    For nail fungus..We have lamisil pills and now, gris-peg pills. Both require regular blood tests to monitor liver function. They both have side effects and drug interactions must be taken into account. As far as topical..There are 2 decent prescriptions. Penlac and Keralac nailstik. Both are applied daily and need about a year to work well. They are not magic..only work ok for mild case of nail fungus. Over the counter...we use fungoid tincture. Apply daily as well. Want something cheap and simple...use Vicks vapo-rub. No idea why it works..but I have seen it work, and so have many other foot doctors. It's an old time thing..but, it's as effective as most other topicals. As far as tea tree oil. I have seen it mixed with other antifungals..but alone, I don't think it does that much.
    Now..That will be a $25 co-pay please!!!

If your desire to succeed is greater than your desire to fail, then you will succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutuscz View Post
    As far as tea tree oil. I have seen it mixed with other antifungals..but alone, I don't think it does that much.
    Now..That will be a $25 co-pay please!!!
    Thanks, Brutuscz . . .

ROFLMAO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast