Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Level of difficulty regarding different koi varieties.

Level of difficulty regarding different koi varieties.

I am curious what others here think. I have always thought that the most difficult variety to get right is the kujaku. You need a proper metalic sheen, that maintains with growth. A good kohaku pattern is required with nice coloration. The matsuba netting just makes a third strike of things that can go wrong. If any of these three things are off...it is generally not a great kujaku.
    What do you think as far as difficulty level goes? Which type is very difficult for a breeder to get right?

I look it at it this way.

Sheen is number 1 on any selection of Hikari fish. Balance of the sheen is what sets others from the rest

How clean the shiroji is from staining, this part always tends to happens on the head.

How clean the reticulation of scales is of the asagi pattern on the back.

Pattern is last, kohak pattern would be ideal, but there are other factors that come into play to make it a piece of art work.

I can say this, it is hard to find a really nice Kujaku tosai, because really good ones standout from the rest.

I guess in difficulity it is the way of the bloodline....
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Jumbo
    Based on an excellent Gin Matuba + good quality Beni -->> nice Kujaku..

Jitai of Gin Matuba, thickness & evenness of Beni, reticulation....all the way from back to abdomen. Kujaku black spot on beni, more & more.....

Compare to typical Kohaku pattern, small size / less hi-ban on a head is preferable......almost Bozu is Okay too for Hikari moyo

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutuscz View Post
    What do you think as far as difficulty level goes? Which type is very difficult for a breeder to get right?
    According to a top breeder, neat & even black spot (= kujaku mon or Mame...) on body, not only on platinum skin but also on Hiban, is most difficult.

I think anytime you add another dimenstion to a koi you add another difficulty in finishing. To me, breeding sanke is hardest. I think the new red kujaku are really special. I remember one time standing up in the all japan show after the show with the judges and asking why my favorite sanke (dragon castle) didn't win and that silly 2 colored only kohaku (marilyn) that didn't have the challenge to finish 3 colors, won. There was hushed silence as my question was translated...a pregnant pause....and then a terse comment that the kohaku was finished better. The sideward glaces at each other and the stiffled smiles let me know that not only was I a foreigner but also a pretty dumb one! Since that time I have instinctively appreciated any superior koi even yamabuki. A top koi irregardless of the degree of difficulty to finish is to be appreciated. Not so much the effort needed in getting it there.....

I agree with Dick. Lots of stuff has to come together to make a great Kujaku. I have seen a lot that have poor conformation. I think this is a holdover from their genealogy. The first kujaku were doitsu and many still have the taller and shorter german food carp shape. Remember that after body shape the metallic sheen is most important. No metallic no kujaku. Seems to me that the orangy colors tend to have the better metallic but the really red ones are a sight to see when they have storng metallic shine as well. Add in the tendancy for a dirty head and messy uneven matsuba scalation and it is really rare when it all comes together just right. Seen a few fantastic ones at the All Japan Shows. Here are a couple of pics of kujaku you might enjoy.

Daihonmei
    sanke for sure. The most difficult.

Kujaku is a transitional fish, peaking early and declining early. It is therefore never a future fish unless it holds the look of a juvenile.
    'Metallic' is a skin type. So a koi has it or it doesn't. It can be more intense than others but this is still not likely to stay all the fish's life. - JR

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    sanke for sure. The most difficult.
    - JR
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    I think anytime you add another dimenstion to a koi you add another difficulty in finishing. To me, breeding sanke is hardest.
    Could you expound on why Sanke is the most difficult? Thanx.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by evabug1 View Post
    It is very difficult to breed koi with sanke trails/characteristics.
    The % of Sanke offspring is very small....

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by evabug1 View Post

Sanke..............

http://bestnishiki.huu.cc/d/00/12.AVI

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast