Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Best growth food, hi silk or Saki Hikari?

Quote Originally Posted by evabug1 View Post
    The 2007 Showa Sanke All Japan Grand Champion has been raised on Saki-Hikari for the past 3 years. Saki-Hikari also claims that no other koi food maker has produced as many consecutive All Japan Grand Champions as Saki-Hikari.
    Im kind of leery about this claim from Hikari. It seems that every year from the last few yrs the AJGC are all fed w/ Hikari Saki. Are these fed 100% saki or were they fed saki mixed w/ generic koi food or for a shorter duration.

I am feeding a mixture of Kenkokanri Hi-silk21 (43.8% crude protein,8.98% crude fat, 1.9% crude fiber, 6.3% Moisture,7.6% ash) and OSI 168 All Season Growth with Wheat Germ. silk worm Meal & spirulina (34% Crude Protein, 4% Crude Fat, 4% crude fiber, 9%moisture, Ascorbic Acid (Vit. C) 200mg/lb, 0.7% Phosphorous). I just started on the OSI. So far so good, koi are happy and healthy.

desilked pupae

This silkworm (Silk Pupae) thing has got me wondering. The West seems to have a love affair with crawling or post-crawling insects in various forms. Yes desilked eri silkworm pupae have an oily content. Special amino acid closely linked to koi? I am not biting that worm. Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), an essential fatty acid belonging to the omega-3 fatty acids? Well, if you say so. But there are other sources of ALA including flaxseed oil, canola oil, soybean oil, purslane and walnuts to start.
    Now that the silk has been removed from the pupae or desilked, what do we do with this crazy looking creature? Well...lets eat it and sell it to the pet food industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Im kind of leery about this claim from Hikari. It seems that every year from the last few yrs the AJGC are all fed w/ Hikari Saki. Are these fed 100% saki or were they fed saki mixed w/ generic koi food or for a shorter duration.
    Yeah, I was kind of wondering the same thing. That's why I threw it out there. I haven't done the research to see if their claims are true. I have been trying to find out more detailed info on Saki-Hikari's feeding suggestions and what people's experience has been without much luck.

Quote Originally Posted by evabug1 View Post

The 2007 Showa Sanke All Japan Grand Champion has been raised on Saki-Hikari for the past 3 years. Saki-Hikari also claims that no other koi food maker has produced as many consecutive All Japan Grand Champions as Saki-Hikari.
    This is probably a false advertising claim...

Quote Originally Posted by RayJordan View Post
    Tell me what is the difference if a koi eats one pellet that is 50% protein or two that are 25% protein?
    No difference in amount of protein, but you can only control how much food you put in the water and not how many pellets each koi eats (ok you probably could but I'm speaking generally). So if a koi eats as many pellets as it wants, lets say 10, and they are 25% protein pellets or it ate the same 10 pellets only they were 50% protein pellets then there is a big difference in the amount protein ingested per volume of food. So technically if a koi eats two 25% pellets or one 50% pellet then the amount of protein would be the same but the koi would have eaten twice as much food to get the same amount of protein.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

MCA
    the difference is the pellets with high protein...could have less filler. In that case...less (filler) is more.

Jumbo
    Saki Hikari is currently the most popular in Japan. the others are not even close....

Advanced hobbyist often mix a few different brands of koi food with Saki Hikari to make their own menu.

My Experience with Saki-Hikari Growth

My experience this last year has been pretty good. I started the year with a new pond and 7 pond koi Tosai. All were 5-6". I added one 6.5" Yoshida Tancho in April from the TKFGS show in San Antonio, and a friend bought me a 3.5" "tancho" koi from Walmart in May. He thought it was a good thing and I didn't have the heart to tell him how ugly it is. I fed them a steady diet of SH Growth from April to early October. Every fourth feeding I mixed in freeze dried krill. All of the fish are now between 12 and 14 inches. Their body looks great, the color is great. Now these aren't show fish, but the Yoshida Tancho is nice.

I did buy a Tancho 7-8" from NKF that spent the summer in their mudponds, so I am very interested in how it compares to the Yoshida that I grew in my pond.
    bnlauren likes this.

there is always so much to cover on a topic like this

It's really hard to get a handle on claims. Tony could very well be right. We have no way of knowing for sure.

I have fed saki-hikari with great sucess for the past two years. Fewer waste,
    good skin and color and growth.

Bill at mystic talked me in to trying some EA One food. The one that is made from worms (marine). I've only been feeding a week but here's my take.
    The fish REALLY like it. I throw saki and they come up slowly, I throw EA and they come up in seconds. My female asagi that has always had a blue cast to her forehead is begin to lighten up and turn white. I am experiencing no more waste with EA then I am with Saki. So I'm still feeding and keeping my eyes open.
    Dick Benbow

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast