Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Best growth food, hi silk or Saki Hikari?

Best growth food, hi silk or Saki Hikari?

What are your opinions on the best growth food for the summer?

Hi Silk
    Saki Hikari

Which is better or is there another brand I didn't mention?

I'm quite happy with saki-growth. I've used it on my tosai for 3 years now and had nothing but good luck.

MCA
    When I used Hi Silk in the late summer (before a show) the intent was to start cleaning up the shiro...not so much for bulk/mass. Today I use a much less expensive high protein food combined with generous use of clay. Works well in our soft water.

I dare say there is nothing wrong with either food.

Perhaps it is the total package of genetics, filtration, aeration, stable water parameters, gH levels, plus the food(s) that give a koi the chance to be all it can be.

I haven't tried Hi Silk although I'd like to. I do feed my koi Saki Hikari Growth with wonderful results. I have seen my koi fill out and lengthen since I started feeding it.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    When I used Hi Silk in the late summer (before a show) the intent was to start cleaning up the shiro...not so much for bulk/mass. Today I use a much less expensive high protein food combined with generous use of clay. Works well in our soft water.

I dare say there is nothing wrong with either food.

Perhaps it is the total package of genetics, filtration, aeration, stable water parameters, gH levels, plus the food(s) that give a koi the chance to be all it can be.
    Michael, what food are you using?

You're lucky to have soft water.

MCA
    Aqion. see link: Koi Feeds

Vicki V worked with them on their formulae. Am are good stuff. We get 40lb bags fresh from the mill delivered on pallets to a club member's business. Our club members really like the wheatgerm, high protein, and color enhancer. Personally I don't use color enhancer. This time of year (water is 80F), so we are feeding high protein.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Aqion. see link: Koi Feeds

Vicki V worked with them on their formulae. Am are good stuff. We get 40lb bags fresh from the mill delivered on pallets to a club member's business. Our club members really like the wheatgerm, high protein, and color enhancer. Personally I don't use color enhancer. This time of year (water is 80F), so we are feeding high protein.
    Very good price. What size pellets do you use?

Honmei

Someone define "Best" for me please?

Like MCA, I mix Hi Silk with a good wheatgerm during the summer months. For growth?> Nope, but for the shiroji. Too high of protien can often lead to ruining of the skin, giving it a "rough" appearance. Although I have seen (and even used) Izeki paste food as an example, I have also seen those that have used such exclusivly on what I will term a "forced growth" diet. Great growth rates resulted....but the ruining of the skin occurred as well. So, I gueess this could also fall into the catagory of "becareful what you wish for."

Steve

Talk to some of the koi breeders in Japan (that do not sell koi food) and you will get some interesting information. They will tell you that brand is not important. Just need to be sure food is fresh with proper amount of protein 28-34% (not to high) not too much fat (less than 10%) and good mix of vitamins. Every breeder in Japan feeds a basic diet of non branded fish food mix from the local mill. Usually a mix of floating and sinking pellets. Look around and you will see pallets of the generic stuff.

Yes they feed higher protein to baby fry and color food to tosai that are being sold and not worth growing another year in the mudponds because that is what the dealers and wholesalers want.

DO they have some special stuff the feed koi to get into peak condtion before a show - Yep. Will they give you all the details - Nope!

Tell me what is the difference if a koi eats one pellet that is 50% protein or two that are 25% protein?

Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi View Post
    Like MCA, I mix Hi Silk with a good wheatgerm during the summer months. For growth?> Nope, but for the shiroji. Too high of protien can often lead to ruining of the skin, giving it a "rough" appearance. Although I have seen (and even used) Izeki paste food as an example, I have also seen those that have used such exclusivly on what I will term a "forced growth" diet. Great growth rates resulted....but the ruining of the skin occurred as well. So, I gueess this could also fall into the catagory of "becareful what you wish for."

Steve
    Iím curious if you have had any experience with Saki-Hikari Growth? They advise feeding it on a daily basis during the summer months. Iíve been feeding it to my koi going on 2 months now, and I have not noticed any detriment to their skin condition. It actually looks as if itís improved.

The 2007 Showa Sanke All Japan Grand Champion has been raised on Saki-Hikari for the past 3 years. Saki-Hikari also claims that no other koi food maker has produced as many consecutive All Japan Grand Champions as Saki-Hikari.

What % of protein and under what feeding regimen and duration are you referring to when you say that ruining of the skin can result?

I am a new comer to the koi hobby so I would appreciate hearing about your experience.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast