Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Japanese Foam ?

Japanese Foam ?

I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice many of the photos from Japanese breeders having foam at the surface of their holding tanks . I understand that some of these cases are from (spawning , Med. , etc.) , but not in all cases . I have noticed when any of my water pumps suck air , I get foam on the surface of my pond . Also , a friend who installed a TT , began having foam afterward (I know alot of Japanese breeders use TT's) .

Any Comments ?

TT filters and Bakki showers expose the DOCS in the water quickly. In some of those pics I see them using shower type filters. If you skim it off the surface it does lessen.

Mike C

Tosai
    Hi Headache6. I believe that it's from the TT and the fact that they don't have skimmers (?) in their cement holding ponds. I have a waterfall that is about 2.5 feet high and when I shut the valves to my two skimmers to feed the koi I do get lots of bubbles. Also, I notice that the bubbles are more prominent when I salt my pond. Besides, isn't this a good indication that the water is well aerated? As far as medications I don't know if the Japanese breeders use any and if they do whether they are the cause of the bubbles.

Japanese Breeders Have DOC's ? Don't Say !

I guess my underlying question : Is Foam at the surface of a pond , always bad ?

The times I have seen foam in the ponds in Japan is when they are using salt...

There should never be foam on the surface, with the exception of when salt or certain medications are in use. (e.g., PraziPro can be horrible foam-maker, but a good medication.)It should be understood, however, that the presence of some 'long-lasting bubbles' does not necessarily mean the quality is poor, just that it could be better.... And, some 'long-lasting bubbles' in one pond does not necessarily mean the water quality is worse than another where all the bubbles from aeration burst virtually immediately. Soft water will hold a bubble longer than hard water. Generally, soft water is better for koi than hard water. Like with most things, you have to look at the overall big picture, not just the parts.