Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UMKC Show photos

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Whoa....

I have always believed that koi hobbists are just like a warm, fuzzy and close knit family.

Don't you agree, Troy?

Well, at least those whom I have known...have always been to me.

Thus, I wonder why would anyone in our hobby keep a koi show so private and secret (and close to their vest) that most of us in the hobby ~ never knew it was going to be held?

And, then to go a step further by even choosing to discourage others than those from Minnesota and their own surrounding area - doesn't evidence the true comaraderie of the world wide view of most koi hobbyists - does it?

Actually, I am thrilled and warmed by anyone/everyone who put effort into increasing the awareness and fun of our hobby, however, it also makes me a little sad...that it would seem humourous to those who put on the show to have excluded others than themselves.

Gosh, to me that isn't what our hobby is about. Or has it come to that - for some?

Oh Troy....as for long-tall, Mr. Mike P- he wrote to me that he was off to KC for the week-end. And, when I heard about the above koi show being held in the mid-west - I assumed, knowing how much Mike loves 'koi' that he must be taking a side trip?

Don't you wonder if he did attend? If he did, I hope he had a grand time, don't you?

Yes, the Minnesotoa did look like a really lovely koi show and I am quite certain it was...However, I don't understand why they wouldn't also want to encourage others than their own selves to attend and to participate?

Do you? What could be any excuse for wanting to exclude anyone...from having the same fun?

Troy, don't you agree that segregationist attitute is polar-opposite of the terrific show which you guys in Louisville always put on in May; or the coming Mid America Show, or even the Nagaoya Show in Japan last October...or, the Arcen Show in Holland or BKKS in Newark, Notts; where those who put on those shows always had been keen to include anyone and everyone to attend and to participate.

....and, where those coming the furthest are most warmly also welcomed!

Oh, well...I guess you can't make excuses for everyone, can you?

With hugs,

Lee Aronfeld
    Grand Cayman
    Lee, you're not responding to someone named "Troy". "Cheeky" is a loved member of the UMKC and female!! She worked her tail off this weekend adding to the many that made this show a success. I hope your comments aren't being taken wrong. I know sometimes the written word is not at all what is meant!!

Our club is very new. Only formed last spring (2006).

This show was posted on 3 boards that I'm aware of. Here for one, KoiShack and *******. There was also a header banner posted on KoiShack. Maybe you can spend some time in the "upcoming events" forum, you would have seen it. Plus is has been listed for months in Koi USA calendar of events. The show was also extensively advertised locally compliments of Host, Bachmans nursery, the PREMIER landscape nursery in the upper midwest.

This is our very first show. Many of our exhibitors were showing fish for the very first time. Our judge's were excellant and Masano san really offered a heck of a lot of educational information to us all. Bryan Bateman was our second judge and offered so much to the event. His enthusium for our show and the opportunity to judge with Masano san really showed. Bay, his wonderful wife, was about to lend a hand where we needed her. Her sense of humor kept many of us in a much better mood as we were all very tired.

Mike didn't make the show this weekend. Something else got in the way although her was planning on coming down. He was going to pick up one of my fish for his pond as well.

So Lee, please join us next year!! We'll give the show the same exposure as we did this year.

Sue Emerick
    UMKC President
    Show Chairperson
    2010 Upper Midwest Koi Club Show
    AKCA 4th Annual Open Show
    July 31st, Aug 1st & 2nd, Minneapolis, MN
    http://www.umkoiclub.org/

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntiesue View Post
    Lee, you're not responding to someone named "Troy". "Cheeky" is a loved member of the UMKC and female!! She worked her tail off this weekend adding to the many that made this show a success. I hope your comments aren't being taken wrong. I know sometimes the written word is not at all what is meant!!

Our club is very new. Only formed last spring (2006).

This show was posted on 3 boards that I'm aware of. Here for one, KoiShack and *******. There was also a header banner posted on KoiShack. Maybe you can spend some time in the "upcoming events" forum, you would have seen it. Plus is has been listed for months in Koi USA calendar of events. The show was also extensively advertised locally compliments of Host, Bachmans nursery, the PREMIER landscape nursery in the upper midwest.

This is our very first show. Many of our exhibitors were showing fish for the very first time. Our judge's were excellant and Masano san really offered a heck of a lot of educational information to us all. Bryan Bateman was our second judge and offered so much to the event. His enthusium for our show and the opportunity to judge with Masano san really showed. Bay, his wonderful wife, was about to lend a hand where we needed her. Her sense of humor kept many of us in a much better mood as we were all very tired.

Mike didn't make the show this weekend. Something else got in the way although her was planning on coming down. He was going to pick up one of my fish for his pond as well.

So Lee, please join us next year!! We'll give the show the same exposure as we did this year.

Sue Emerick
    UMKC President
    Show Chairperson
    Sue,

I'm a friend of Lee's and in his defense I think the fact that he was in Europe and England for nearly two months in June and July and 'out of pocket' caused your show to slip under his radar. He called me Saturday after seeing the pictures posted here for the MWKC show. He thought the 'KC' in MWKC stood for Kansas City. I must admit I didn't know about the show either and since we both knew that our friend Mike Pfeffer was visiting Kansas City last weekend, he put two and two together and thought Mike must have gone to a koi show in Kansas City that somehow he knew nothing about.

I type all this because I got an email from Lee after replies to his post confirmed news about the show was out there and he is scared!!!!! He thinks he was too harsh and the tar and feather treatment is coming next.

Nothing could be further from the truth. This board is full of good, kind, forgiving people and a day has gone by without any 'tar and feathers' treatment. My take is that Lee was suffering from disappointment and fired off what turned out to be groundless charges. It's obvious you did your part and it looks like you had a pretty nice show. Bryan Bateman is a good friend of Lee's and it's another fluke that Bryan was a judge and Lee didn't know about the show. I think Lee only browses the General Koi Forum of Koi Bito and simply never saw the announcement in the section about club news and upcoming events.

Oh, you misunderstood Lee's comment directed at Troy. That was in response to Troy's post where he said:

"Lee , I believe this Show is in Minn. .

I think they told Mike P. it was in KC , so they wouldn't have to put up with him . "

after Lee had said:

"Whoa....

I have always believed that koi hobbists are just like a warm, fuzzy and close knit family.

Don't you agree, Troy?

Well, at least those whom I have known...have always been to me."

....I thought Troy had made a pretty good joke, but Lee apparently didn't think it was very friendly?

Anyway, Lee.... quit yer crying and get back on the keyboard. No one tried to slip one past you. I'm sure you are forgiven by all. Well, maybe all except that Troy fellow. He's a big 'ol meanie.

Lee. Let this be a lesson to you. In the future, read the 'Club News and Announcements' and you'll be in the loop on this stuff. Me, too, cause I was guilty of not knowing either.

Dale

Lee
    Sansai

Just to clarify....

Dear Sue,

Whoa...I wasn't responding to whomever Cheeky is...I was responding to Troy about Mike.

Secondly, not everyone are upon the two boards, which you noted. There are for most of us in the hobby - several dozen koi related boards, not just two. Or, three.

And, as for being promoted by a well known local nursery which is totally unknown to anyone outside of it's selling region hardly comprises a well promoted koi show.

At least not to me, here in Grand Cayman.

Furthermore, it being talked about at some koi shows which you attended ~ I was at some of the shows which you attended and I didn't know about your show.

And, apparently from several private posts I also have now received from others in our hobby, they too didn't know about it, either. And, they too would have attended as well.

As for Bay and Bry' - why they didn't tell more of their colleagues about the show, I don't know? I wish they had.

However, the only point that I was trying to make was that after finding out about this show - just this past Saturday morning, after it had alrady commenced, was that your own web site indicated that the show was primarily for local hobbyists.

And, frankly....I found that very discouraging, not that I could have then attended anyway, as the show was already in progress, but that to have written that statement would indicate you didn't really want any one 'from outside' of your own borders and the neighboring States which you named - to attend.

And, I personally found that very 'segregationist' to read...as who ever wrote the show particulars defined who was to be welcomed and who wasn't.

Thus, putting aside that Cheeky is female and Bay is adorable. As well as, BJ a great and wonderful help, as well as, talented judge.... It is my opinon that your show could have made a greater effort to welcome others from elsewhere..as there are a vast number of internet koi boards where your invitation could have appeared...and, which it did not!

Of course, Sue - I am thrilled to know you had the show. And, I am equally thrilled it promoted koi to others unaware of our culture and the wonderful and beautiful creatures which we all share.

However, I know that myself and others would have attended had we only known of it being held - in advance.

....that's all"

No further comment necessary.

With my best wishes,

Lee A
    Grand Cayman

....I thought Troy had made a pretty good joke, but Lee apparently didn't think it was very friendly?

Anyway, Lee.... quit yer crying and get back on the keyboard. No one tried to slip one past you. I'm sure you are forgiven by all. Well, maybe all except that Troy fellow. He's a big 'ol meanie.

Dale[/quote]

Dale , Thanks for having my "Back" on this one . Maybe my joke was a KY thing . I added the "" for a reason . No reason for me to Forgive Lee , because I was never mad at him in the first place . I wish more people shared his passon about this Hobby .

Now , Lets get this thread back on track ! To think that this was the Clubs first Show is unreal . From the photos , they did an A-1 job . Congrats to all the Club members & to all the Winners . Please post photos of the Winners !

Sue , it was great to meet you in Indy , and again , Congrats on what looks like was a great Show .

Troy

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    Please post photos of the Winners !
    Here's the short list, to tide you over while I finish adding the other awards and embedding the photos:

To tide you over while I try to put this in a more readable format and get the rest of the awards put in and try to decipher the notes from the judge's walkthrough I could overhear...

Supreme GC: Utsurimono, size 6, Emerick
    http://flickr.com/photos/cheeky_lemu...7601186216141/

Reserve GC: Showa, size 5, Emerick

GC "B": Utsurimono, size 5, Emerick

Gin-Rin Champion (+Tategoii Award): Showa, size 5, Emerick

Mature Champion (+People's Choice Award): Kohaku, size 6, Emerick

Young Champion (+RMKC Friendship): "A" Ginrin Kohaku, size 3, Filister/Bair

Baby Champion under 12": Sanke, size 1, Skaggs (many thanks to Marc and Tamara -I think I got that right?-, who purchased this fish onsite on behalf of their club from Koi Acres and entered it, then donated it to our koi auction as a sign of firendship in defraying the costs of infrastructure for our first show.) Unfortunately I don't have a benching photo for this fish.

Members only?

Lee,
    Thanks for pointing out an enormous oversight by our club. We will try to do a better job of getting the word out next year. In fact if you send me your address I'll personally send you an invite in time to make the trip from the Caymans.
    I must say that I was a little disappointed that there weren’t very many people from out of town in attendance. I just assumed most experienced show hobbyist stay away from first shows thinking they are an 'uncertainty' so why bring fish to a show with no track record.
    I know we surprised those few out of Towner’s that did come. Our first show had a flow through system that was on a well water feed, and was complete with temper tanks, to make sure there was not any stressed fish do to temperature swings. Hardware and design was donated and put together by the Koi Acres family Mike Swanson, Devin, Michael and Taylor. Programs, promotions, media PR and coverage was next to none, with newspaper, radio and TV. All spear headed by the tireless Ron Sterbenz. Sue as the chair worked her tail off keeping the whole thing together. And of course there were the club members who volunteered their precious summer time to do the grunt work. You see in Minnesota we only have about 5 months a year to work on and enjoy our ponds, the rest is winter so summer in oh so precious to us.
    I'll take the blame for not spending more Internet time getting the word out. My bad.
    It was never our intention to have it a member’s only show, NO WAY.
    Thanks again, it won’t happen next year.
    Jim

I am very impressed from the site photo's . One question : The site looks to have had alot of Show Tanks . Was it a "build it and they will come" or did you need that many tanks because of entries ? How many koi were benched & How many Show Tanks ?

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    I am very impressed from the site photo's . One question : The site looks to have had alot of Show Tanks . Was it a "build it and they will come" or did you need that many tanks because of entries ? How many koi were benched & How many Show Tanks ?
    I think just over 70 were benched as exhibitor entries, and 16 additional young kohaku were included as part of a member grow-out contest.

While I'm at it, the 16 for the growout contest have just been added to the set, starting with this photo: IMG_7375.JPG on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Last edited by cheekylemur; 08-06-2007 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Added link.

Jumbo
    Lee, If anywhere in our show promotion (web site) mention was made of this show being for local hobbiest only, I sure would like to know where. That certainly wasn't our intent. If you would kindly point it out we'll make sure that doesn't appear again.

I'm going through the dozens of photos now and will upload some soon.

Sue

Jumbo
    Many many hands went into making this, our first show, a success. Cheeky posted some photos of the fish so I pulled some photos from the many to show off our handy work!! Notice the purple backdrop and tank curtains....LOL Bachman's colors!! They donated the fabric for the dressings and of course, it was lavendar!! The Swansons from Koi Acres are totally responsible for the flow through water system which worked beautifully!! THANK YOU KOI ACRES!! The Swansons are our club's biggest supporters. Be sure to remember them when you consider your next purchase of fish or supplies. Great folks and knowledgeable!! Devin Swanson is interning at the Marudo koi farm presently. Thankfully he speaks fluant japanese so he acted as interpreter for Masano san. What a pleasure it was to meet such a master!! We learned a lot from him. WE also had several speakers during the day Saturday. The seminars were very well attended. Large room packed all day!! Our market is very new to koi so we were very delighted to see the interest from the public. Many more than we anticipated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UMKC Show photos-champion-challenge-rs.jpg   UMKC Show photos-cities-97-rs.jpg   UMKC Show photos-general-2-rs.jpg   UMKC Show photos-general-show-rs.jpg   UMKC Show photos-judging-3-rs.jpg  

UMKC Show photos-judging-rs.jpg   UMKC Show photos-our-own-koi-acres-rs.jpg   UMKC Show photos-sunday-raffle-auction-sign-rs.jpg   UMKC Show photos-trophy-donated-rs.jpg   UMKC Show photos-trophys-rs.jpg  

UMKC Show photos-welcome-rs.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12