Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UMKC Show photos

Tosai

UMKC Show photos

I haven't edited or labeled them at all, but I tossed up a bunch of photos from yesterday's benching and set-up.

http://flickr.com/photos/cheeky_lemu...7601186216141/

The show is looking good!!!

Lee
    Sansai

Why wasn't this show publicized ?

Hi all,

I wasn't aware that this show was being held?

Gosh, I would have brought fish and showed...had I know of it (being held?)

Where is it?

Is it Kansas City?

If it's Kansas City everyone say, "HI" to Mike Pfeffer for me.

My best regards,

Lee Aronfeld
    Grand Cayman

Lee , I believe this Show is in Minn. .

I think they told Mike P. it was in KC , so they wouldn't have to put up with him .

Thanks for the photo's , looks like it will be a great event .

Troy

Honmei
    Great slide show, I hope you will post more.

Tosai
    More photos are slooowly uploading, 80+ including the official benching photos for all the fish except the grow out contest ones (anyone want to play judge?), which I'll get from KoiAcres shortly to add.

Forgot to grab the show results list on my way out of the banquet, will add those later and try to match them to the benching photos. Most of the big prizes went to Dick and Sue for their showas and shiro.

The show was in Minnesota, just outside of Minneapolis - our first annual show for the Upper Midwest Koi Club.

I don't have time to upload all the short video clips until this is over...

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Hi all,

I wasn't aware that this show was being held?

Gosh, I would have brought fish and showed...had I know of it (being held?)

We snuck it right past you

UMKC First Koi Show Scheduled...

Lee
    Sansai

Koi hobbyist are supposed to be like a brotherhood...

Whoa....

I have always believed that koi hobbists are just like a warm, fuzzy and close knit family.

Don't you agree, Troy?

Well, at least those whom I have known...have always been to me.

Thus, I wonder why would anyone in our hobby keep a koi show so private and secret (and close to their vest) that most of us in the hobby ~ never knew it was going to be held?

And, then to go a step further by even choosing to discourage others than those from Minnesota and their own surrounding area - doesn't evidence the true comaraderie of the world wide view of most koi hobbyists - does it?

Actually, I am thrilled and warmed by anyone/everyone who put effort into increasing the awareness and fun of our hobby, however, it also makes me a little sad...that it would seem humourous to those who put on the show to have excluded others than themselves.

Gosh, to me that isn't what our hobby is about. Or has it come to that - for some?

Oh Troy....as for long-tall, Mr. Mike P- he wrote to me that he was off to KC for the week-end. And, when I heard about the above koi show being held in the mid-west - I assumed, knowing how much Mike loves 'koi' that he must be taking a side trip?

Don't you wonder if he did attend? If he did, I hope he had a grand time, don't you?

Yes, the Minnesotoa did look like a really lovely koi show and I am quite certain it was...However, I don't understand why they wouldn't also want to encourage others than their own selves to attend and to participate?

Do you? What could be any excuse for wanting to exclude anyone...from having the same fun?

Troy, don't you agree that segregationist attitute is polar-opposite of the terrific show which you guys in Louisville always put on in May; or the coming Mid America Show, or even the Nagaoya Show in Japan last October...or, the Arcen Show in Holland or BKKS in Newark, Notts; where those who put on those shows always had been keen to include anyone and everyone to attend and to participate.

....and, where those coming the furthest are most warmly also welcomed!

Oh, well...I guess you can't make excuses for everyone, can you?

With hugs,

Lee Aronfeld
    Grand Cayman

Lee, the UMKC did try to publicize their show widely - this was posted on KoiShack months ago and Sue Emmerick followed up with updates regularly. Umkc Announces 1st Annual Koi Show - KoiShack
    I'm sure she posted it on KP as well, but I don't know that for a fact. She also started a similar thread here, with follow-ups. In addition, Sue and Dick traveled to many shows this year, including Orlando, Indianapolis and SKE, where they "talked up" their club's first show. I know several people from other states who traveled to Minneapolis this weekend, some with koi, some just to support the show.
    Lynda

Tosai
    I'm truly sorry you had not heard about the show - it was been announced here on Koi-Bito (which is what I had attempted to point out above by posting the link), on Koishack, and I'm not sure where else Sue posted it (probably also ******* because I think she participates there but I don't). I know she has made an effort to let people in other regions know as well as she has been traveling.

I also make an effort to promote the show on two goldfish forums I partake in, and our local aquarium society. The club has just finished it's first year of existence and this is really the first time anyone here has put on a koi show. Many of our members have never even attended a koi show, but everyone pitched in and tried to make this work.

Are there other venues we should have used to advertise that would have reached you better? If there are suggestions for improvement, I'll make sure those get into the meeting we have scheduled next week to debrief and collect notes on what to change next year.

Even for people who got to us very late about wanting to exhibit we waived the deadline as long as we had tank space to make sure we were open to anyone who wished to participate. I'm sorry I may have been too flippant about posting the link to the thread on this board that has been up since December, but that was in no way intended to say we intended to go to this much effort and keep it a secret.

I'm very new to koi, this club, and this is the first fish show I've attended, so I really can't answer more than that right now, but if you do have suggestions on how we could promote the show more next year, please feel free to let me know and I will pass those on to our membership.

And in case it wasn't clear, UMKC is an acronym for the Upper Midwest Koi Club in this case, we're a solid 7 hours north of Kansas City, so it isn't very close for someone to stop by.
    Last edited by cheekylemur; 08-05-2007 at 06:37 PM. Reason: clarifying comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast