Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: preparation of the koi for shows

preparation of the koi for shows

There is some serious koi shows coming up this fall both here in seattle and in California to name a few.

So much has to be done with the feeding and the water. Thought it might be fun to discuss the topic and see if anyone has something that we all could learn from. Anybody want to share?

MCA
    Bob Winkler wrote a very detailed prepartion list he does for a show.

Do everything you can to provide bess possible water. Increase water changes and filter and sump maintainence. Daily or even twice daily dumping of sumps is very helpful.

Feeding is a long term seasonal plan. With mature koi develop the best koi shape from about six months to two months before the show. the last two months drop back on feeding and the last few weeks cut back to every other day of very light feeding. No feeding the last week.

Also important to not overload your tank at the show. It will effect water quality and all your prep can be negated by listless unhappy koi at the show. Also be very patient and careful catching and transporting your koi to the show. Stressed koi to not show very well.

thanks Ray....good input....I think it's the american mentality but I am also asked a lot about additives that can be used to make a difference. ie: Clay PP dips etc. Anyone wish to offer personal knowledge on this aspect?

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    thanks Ray....good input....I think it's the american mentality but I am also asked a lot about additives that can be used to make a difference. ie: Clay PP dips etc. Anyone wish to offer personal knowledge on this aspect?
    I stop using clay a month before the show and increase the water changes to twice a week instead of once. The slime coat on a fish should be refine and enough to protect a fish from travel. I figure that if I have to salt or PP a fish, then that fish isnt goin to show, but staying home.

"If the fish is not ready for show, then it should stay at home." No harm in leaving a fish at home. First thing is you dont want to hurt the fish. Like Keokoi always says, "It is what in the best interest for the fish, not the hobbyist!"
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

MCA
    Given the number of tanks you have reserved a the show, and the size of those tanks (6',7', 8') plan in advance which fish to take. As the show draws near, set up your QT (if it is not already running). I have our QT filter sitting on the edge of the main pond getting primed right now for a show in mid Sept. I will setup up our 8' show tank a couple days before the show. The I take my time and move those fish from the pond to the show tank. This is when I refine the preliminary list into the final candidates.

It is SSSSOOO very much easier to bag and box early the next morning from the QT than trying to track everyone down in the big pond. Naturally we are not feeding for at least one week before the show. I also put a pinch (like a kitchen match head amount) of Elbagin in the bags. Just enough so the water looks like Mountain Dew. A little dab will do ya.

Also I use tie wraps (plastic cable ties) to seal the bags. No breaking rubber bands, no tired hands. Get the BIG ones (18") so you can really tighten them well. I use those on inner and outter bags. I do NOT trim the ends of the tie wraps. Those sharp ends could pierce a bag.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Bob Winkler wrote a very detailed prepartion list he does for a show.
    And a very good list it was. Here's the link:

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/general-koi-forum/5508-how-prepare-koi-show.html

thanks Don, great list

If the show will allow you to bring fish on a Friday, I would highly suggest bring fish on Friday. This allows for the fish to have a day to destress from the trip and be in tip top shape for the show on Saturday.