Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Indoor Pond

Sansai

New Indoor Pond

Yesterday NIKK and WK&WGS koi clubs were invited to "She'll Never Be On The Pond Tour" party and potluck at Chris Charbonneau's Mountain Retreat residence in beautiful Cle Elum, Washington. For those of you that don't know where Cle Elum is, about 1.5 hours east of Seattle and 3 hours west of Spokane on I-90.

Our respective clubs were entertained by one very unique pond setting ever, an indoor pond of about 16,000 gallons that is twelve feet deep. Equipment room is tucked under the highest level of decking as pictured below with all the appropriate equipment that affords her remarkable koi some of finest conditions ever. Cle Elum can get quite a bit of snow during winter, so this green house will offer-up a cozy get-away with heated water keeping temperatures comfortable.

Might mention, the pot-luck was outstanding with many koi kichi from both sides of the state swapping stories. Once again, koi bringing people together of some fun loving times.

Thank you Chris for inviting NIKK members to your Mountain Get-Away!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Indoor Pond-2007-august-11-nikk-field-trip-cle-elum-chris-charbonneaus-003.jpg   New Indoor Pond-2007-august-11-nikk-field-trip-cle-elum-chris-charbonneaus-002.jpg   New Indoor Pond-2007-august-11-nikk-field-trip-cle-elum-chris-charbonneaus-010.jpg   New Indoor Pond-2007-august-11-nikk-field-trip-cle-elum-chris-charbonneaus-011.jpg  

Great pix ! Looks like avery nice set up. How do they handle humidity?

Honmei
    That is an outstanding setup. Do you have any info on the specs for the pond and filtration system?

They must be very happy Koi.

Sansai
    Bob-great question. Looks like no provisions for humidity that I could see other than side windows and ridge window vents. Since Chris has not gone through a winter yet I would imagine she will figure out if anything is needed by Spring.

My friend Gene Anderson has found with his indoor pond, that if he keeps water temps at about the same temp as room temp., humidity doesn't gather much. However, as temperature outside dip below freezing the warmth from inside his windows and skylights do gather dew and will drip to some degree.

As you know, there are several de-humidifiers on the market. My preference is a reclaim system and would suggest to Chris that be the direction I would go if she finds humidity a problem.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
    That is an outstanding setup. Do you have any info on the specs for the pond and filtration system?

They must be very happy Koi.
    Russ, from what I could gather, the pond is 16,000 gallons and 12 feet deep with three air diffuser main drains centered in a rectangular hopper bottem. Spray on liner over foam block masonry filled with rebar and concrete.

Equipment room housed three systems, all with vortec settling chambers, turbo vortec pre-filters and two large bead filters. One additional system collects skimmer water with a turbo vortec that also has a bi-pass heater loop, looks to be a propane heater with a marine heat exchanger. There are three air pumps. Did not notice UV lights, but I have to think they are in there somewhere. Variable rate speed pumps on all systems, I have left out manuf. names etc., I did not pack my pencil and paper for references.

Gill Gillman put the system together, and I'm sure Chris knows what she has, so if she reads this maybe she will fill in the many blanks I have not covered.

From what I could see, the system performs very well, lots of water moving with I think 12 TPR's that are reversable as well.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Danjols View Post
    Russ, from what I could gather, the pond is 16,000 gallons and 12 feet deep with three air diffuser main drains centered in a rectangular hopper bottem. Spray on liner over foam block masonry filled with rebar and concrete.

Equipment room housed three systems, all with vortec settling chambers, turbo vortec pre-filters and two large bead filters. One additional system collects skimmer water with a turbo vortec that also has a bi-pass heater loop, looks to be a propane heater with a marine heat exchanger. There are three air pumps. Did not notice UV lights, but I have to think they are in there somewhere. Variable rate speed pumps on all systems, I have left out manuf. names etc., I did not pack my pencil and paper for references.

Gill Gillman put the system together, and I'm sure Chris knows what she has, so if she reads this maybe she will fill in the many blanks I have not covered.

From what I could see, the system performs very well, lots of water moving with I think 12 TPR's that are reversable as well.
    It looks like a great pond and with the system it has I am sure it will perform well. I hope Chris will keep us posted as time goes on how it performs.

Thank you for the information.

Tategoi

Thanks to All the Koi Kichi Who Came!

I want to thank the 70 or so members of the Washington Koi and Water Garden Society, the North Idaho Koi Club and the Richland, Washington Club who came to my party. Living an hour and a half out of Seattle, and three and a half from Spokane, I KNEW I would never be on a regular pond tour, but was delighted that so many Koi Kichi make the trek for lunch, and some good pond and fish talk.

Our buddy Dick Benbow could not make it, as he was having emergency dental work. I am fairly certain WE were having more fun--not to besmirch dentistry in THIS forum. The asagi Dick gave me as a gift a year or so ago looks fantastic in this pond, and I wanted to show "Blue" off to Dick, but he and Joann will have to make a special trip later.

Pond specs: 22 feet long, nine feet wide, twelve feet deep, and as Dan said, built on insulated Polysteel block (the kind with rebar on the inside) filled with concrete. Tim Zuber and crew sprayed the liner.

I put in three bottom drains. Bottom drain #1 goes to a Turbo-vortex, then to a 36" Lim Wave Filter with Japanese matting inside, then back through TPRs.

Drain #2 goes to a turbo-vortex, through a Challenger 140 Bead filter, through another 36" Lim Wave Filter with Japanese matting inside, then through the Delta Pro UV light, into the pond through TPRs.

Drain #3 goes through a turbo-vortex, through my old Challenger 60 Bead filter, through a third 36" Lim Wave Filter with Japanese matting, through my Jandy Lite 2 heater, and into the pond through TPRs.

Turns out this redunancy comes in handy, as I discovered the first time I watered plants above the filter room, and shorted out the pump running system #3......Yikes!

My skimmer at the moment runs through a pump supplying the 24" "Sheer Descent" waterfall (looks like a sheet of water...part of the zen look I was going for) and I think when Rich Street finishes building my trickle tower, it might hook to this system.

Dan is right about the climate here--we get snow in the winter, and hot in the summer, and WIND. So much so, that I make 18,000 KW a year with my own wind turbine. To keep this 15' by 48' greenhouse cool in the summer, I just open the doors at either end, cover the openings with screen doors, and let the wind howl through. (Actually, howl is an overstatement.) Anyway, that is why the lack of humidity.

I have a dehumidifier standing by, in the event it gets too wet in the greenhouse this winter....I will keep you all posted.

So, thanks go to Tim Zuber for the lining, to Gil Gilman of Peaceful ponds for the installation of all of the pond components and the great, easy-for-me-to maintain plumbing, and to Joel Burkhart of Pan Intercorp for the pretty fishes.
    ChrisC

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    I want to thank the 70 or so members of the Washington Koi and Water Garden Society, the North Idaho Koi Club and the Richland, Washington Club who came to my party. Living an hour and a half out of Seattle, and three and a half from Spokane, I KNEW I would never be on a regular pond tour, but was delighted that so many Koi Kichi make the trek for lunch, and some good pond and fish talk.

Our buddy Dick Benbow could not make it, as he was having emergency dental work. I am fairly certain WE were having more fun--not to besmirch dentistry in THIS forum. The asagi Dick gave me as a gift a year or so ago looks fantastic in this pond, and I wanted to show "Blue" off to Dick, but he and Joann will have to make a special trip later.

Pond specs: 22 feet long, nine feet wide, twelve feet deep, and as Dan said, built on insulated Polysteel block (the kind with rebar on the inside) filled with concrete. Tim Zuber and crew sprayed the liner.

I put in three bottom drains. Bottom drain #1 goes to a Turbo-vortex, then to a 36" Lim Wave Filter with Japanese matting inside, then back through TPRs.

Drain #2 goes to a turbo-vortex, through a Challenger 140 Bead filter, through another 36" Lim Wave Filter with Japanese matting inside, then through the Delta Pro UV light, into the pond through TPRs.

Drain #3 goes through a turbo-vortex, through my old Challenger 60 Bead filter, through a third 36" Lim Wave Filter with Japanese matting, through my Jandy Lite 2 heater, and into the pond through TPRs.

Turns out this redunancy comes in handy, as I discovered the first time I watered plants above the filter room, and shorted out the pump running system #3......Yikes!

My skimmer at the moment runs through a pump supplying the 24" "Sheer Descent" waterfall (looks like a sheet of water...part of the zen look I was going for) and I think when Rich Street finishes building my trickle tower, it might hook to this system.

Dan is right about the climate here--we get snow in the winter, and hot in the summer, and WIND. So much so, that I make 18,000 KW a year with my own wind turbine. To keep this 15' by 48' greenhouse cool in the summer, I just open the doors at either end, cover the openings with screen doors, and let the wind howl through. (Actually, howl is an overstatement.) Anyway, that is why the lack of humidity.

I have a dehumidifier standing by, in the event it gets too wet in the greenhouse this winter....I will keep you all posted.

So, thanks go to Tim Zuber for the lining, to Gil Gilman of Peaceful ponds for the installation of all of the pond components and the great, easy-for-me-to maintain plumbing, and to Joel Burkhart of Pan Intercorp for the pretty fishes.
    Chris, thanks for filling-in the blanks, you have a great collection of koi to go along with a fantastic pond and greenhouse set-up.

Now if you could only make it to Ochiba Monday (inside joke) for the second harvest installment at QK, did you say Kojaku Monday or something this year? NIKK will miss you-------------

Dan, from the look of Yuri's babies, I'd say we make it kohaku Monday!

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    Dan, from the look of Yuri's babies, I'd say we make it kohaku Monday!
    I'd say the way Matt is going any day is Kohaku day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast