Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foam

Tosai

Foam

I'm getting a lot of foam on the surface of my pond that wont seem to go away. I purchased a defoamer but am a bit uncomfortable adding unnecessary chemicals to my pond. My koi all seem to be quite healthy and I do weekly water changes (approx. 1/10th of the volume of my 1200 gallon pond).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I don't have the answer , but do have some questions that will need to be asked ? A 10% water change each week is not very much . You will find alot of hobbiest change 10% every day , even with high end filter systems .

Foam = DOC's

How many Koi (Size) ?
    What kind of filter ?

I hope this help get the ball rolling on your thread .

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by davidk View Post
    I'm getting a lot of foam on the surface of my pond that wont seem to go away. I purchased a defoamer but am a bit uncomfortable adding unnecessary chemicals to my pond. My koi all seem to be quite healthy and I do weekly water changes (approx. 1/10th of the volume of my 1200 gallon pond).

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    This is an indication of being under flitered and/or over stocked. Larger water changes may help but should be only part of what you do.

Tosai

Foam

I have an Ultima II filter that I backwash weekly. I also have a water polishing filter (media) in my waterfall that filters the water coming out of the Ultima. I currently have four koi in the 14 -16" range and the rest (5 others) in the 4 - 7" range.

Thank you

davidk , don't know one thing about that filter (but have heard of it) . You need to clean your filter more & change alot more water .

But you have WAY to many koi for that size pond .

Sorry , i'm sure you didn't want to hear that .

Jumbo
    salt in pond can cause foam too.

stan

David

What size model of the Ultima do you have? How many hp is your pump? Do you have a skimmer and a bottom drain? Does the water from the bottom drain go to a settlement chamber of some kind by means of gravity flow then to the pump and then Ultima or do you simply pump the water from the pond directly to the Ultima? Also, you mentioned media that polishes the water, what do you mean? What kind of media? During this time of year, I would backwash that Ultima at least 2-3 times a week or more if possible. It shouldn't take that long and your water quality will greatly improve.

The foam you have on top of your water is most like caused by DOCs (dissolved organic compounds) and they need to be addressed with proper water changes. Also, it sounds like you're feeding too much. Back down to once a day in the morning until you get the DOCs under control.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by davidk View Post
    I have an Ultima II filter that I backwash weekly. I also have a water polishing filter (media) in my waterfall that filters the water coming out of the Ultima. I currently have four koi in the 14 -16" range and the rest (5 others) in the 4 - 7" range.

Thank you

The foam actually contains dissolved organic compounds, and cool temps, splashing, and salt can all cause more foam to form. A protein skimmer is an alternative to massive water changes, as it encourages foam to form, which contains the DOC's, but them also removes the foam from your pond, and the DOC's in the process, without removing (much) water from your pond.

Google search for protein skimmers or foam fractionators or go to your local aquarium store to learn more. Since salt increases foam (as someone pointed out earlier, although as someone else pointed out, your problem is dissolved organic compounds), saltwater aquarists use these devices to remove foam. Your regular pond skimmer should also help pull it from the water surface and you can scoop the foam out of your skimmer. But that is more passive and a protein skimmer is more active.

Google "dissolved organic compounds" (perhaps with "pond" or "koi" to narrow results) to learn more.

MCA
    foam on the water,
    fire in the sky....

Sorry, having a flashback to the 70s....

Tosai

Foam

Thank you all for your feedback. I have been adding salt lately with the water changes. Currently my pump feeds directly into my Ultima II (2000 gallon), then goes to my Aqua UV (40 watt) , then into the upper reservoir of the waterfall. I will stop adding salt and see if things improve. I desperately want to expand the pond and make a number of necessary improvements. I have a huge hurtle though - the wife.

Thanks all!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast