Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Seeking advice - shiro utsuri with red spot on fins

Seeking advice - shiro utsuri with red spot on fins

I have discsovered my shiro utsuri has a red spot on its caudal fin - i have been monitoring for several days and it seems to be fading, but now I noticed a second red spot on the dorsal fin. The spot appears to be raised. I haev not caught the fish yet to further investigate...I do have a "sick pond" waiting, but I first wanted to get some thoughts.

The water quality seems fine...I don't see spots on any other fish...and the shiro is acting fine, in fact is the most aggresive feeder at the moment and seems quite liverly swimming around. I got her about a month ago (along with any fish that has no spots), she is 10 years old and about 27 inches long.

Here are some pics, sorry quality not great, hard to shoot pics while feeding with the other hand (I included the "head shot" for fun).

Any advice appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seeking advice - shiro utsuri with red spot on fins-tailspot.jpg   Seeking advice - shiro utsuri with red spot on fins-tailspot2.jpg   Seeking advice - shiro utsuri with red spot on fins-tailspot3.jpg   Seeking advice - shiro utsuri with red spot on fins-tailspot4.jpg  
    Rockman

MCA
    What do you mean by "The water quality seems fine...". You need objective measurements of things such as
    ph
    ammonia
    nitrite
    nitrate

You may need to scrape/scope the fish and others for evidence of parasites.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    What do you mean by "The water quality seems fine...". You need objective measurements of things such as
    ph
    ammonia
    nitrite
    nitrate

You may need to scrape/scope the fish and others for evidence of parasites.
    MCA:

Thanks for the reply

Ammonia = 0
    nitrate = 0
    Nitrate have not measured recently
    pH = 7.5
    Salt = 0.12%
    Temp = 74 F

About a week ago I had a minor spike in ammnonia and nitrate to between 0 and 0.25 but I saw the first red spot before that

No other fish shopw spots but I could be missing

Had a good soaking rain early this morning, just checked the water chemistry

ammonia = 0 ppm
    nitrite = between 0 and 0.25 ppm (closer to 0.25 ppm)
    nitrate = 40 ppm
    hardness (GH) = 75 ppm
    chlorine = 0 ppm
    alkalinity (KH) = 40 ppm
    salt = 0.11%
    ph = between 7.0 and 7.5 (closer to 7.5)
    temp = 75 F

It appears a have a very slightly higher nitrite compared to yesterday morning (when I measured zero), I have seen before (might be related to rain/runoff) but fish seem unchanged in behavior, and becuase it is so low, don't think it is a concern.

One other thing to add to the thread is that only once before have a seen a similar observation: about a month ago I had my shows with a spot on his pectoral fin...I had a koi vet come check him out, didn't see anything on the scrape, and he suggested that I treat the koi in my sick pond every other day for three cycles with an antiboitic and he cleared right up. I might try the same approach with my shiro if i don't see anything on the scrape.

Here is a pic of the showa's old fin spot (now gone, don't see any trace of it)...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seeking advice - shiro utsuri with red spot on fins-spot-showa-fin.jpg