Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY help

Banned

Lightbulb DIY help

All, I have been feverishly studying Water chemistry, aquatic biology, and every diy site I could find. (New mechanical filter is finally doing it's job.)

I need to build a degasser (tired 5000 gallon pond. Have to build a new one.)
    After pricing the different options available from others designs here is what I came up with. (I also need to build a protein skimmer and a bottom drain.) I am budgeting $400-$500 for this project and also a new $500 pump.

OPTION 1
    6 gallon dairy crates (16"x13"x11") placed on a (very sturdy) PVC shelf directly over pond.
    4 crates high, two crates deep, 2 crates wide. Total of 16 crates. Tied together with zip ties?
    TOTAL 96 gallon

PROS: less expensive, easier to put together
    CONS: handles in crate take up media space, splashy, need sun protection

Option 2
    Heavy duty 26 gallon container (27x18x14.5".)
    4 crates high placed in very sturdy PVC stand on PVC shelf directly over pond.
    I will have to cut a rectangle out of bottom and fasten heavy duty welded 3/4" STAINLESS STEEL mesh.
    TOTAL 104 gallon

PROS: air space between each container, 3/4" SS mesh larger void for water flow.
    Won't have to drill a gazillion holes on bottom that will fill up with gunk.

CONS: With 5" air space between each container this thing will be at 6' tall. Will have the extra expense (a ton of 4way and tee fittings) to build a very strong container stand.

Bio Media: approx. 13 square feet of bio balls

New pump $500

Thank You for help, Lori

MCA
    what makes you think the pond needs a degasser and a protein skimmer?

You will will have around 50 % of submergered (air driven fluid bed) and the rest wet/dry (trickle tower or shower) you should have a good approach.

Banned

Degasser and Protein skimmer

Hi, I think I mis-spoke.
    De-gasser? Should be trickle tower or wet dry tower.
    Protein skimmer? For all of the bubbles?
    My head is reeling with all the info I am trying to absorb.

I put in a submersible pump for aeration. (will order stuff to build my TT or W/D Tower.)
    aeration and Salt in water, all the bubbles?
    Will all this current harm my fish?

Look at my nightmare pond. Sorry such a mess Everything in my life is all backed up over over my water quality revelation.

(I am visual rather than verbal.
    I can make or build just about anything but can't spell or type. Grammar whats that? I keep erasing my posts and replies I don't know what damn button I keep hitting. This is the second time writing this reply.

MCA
    Chill out!!!!!!!!!

A good pond system is not designed and built in a day. From the pictures I did not see any serious amout of foam. Build the TT/shower and see what happens to the water in the next ~4 weeks.

Banned

Chill out!!

Thanks, I will try I need to up my lithium!
    I love them too much. I guess I am trying to make up for all they have been through.
    I am just as bad with my parrots and dogs

You know....you might want to join a koi club in your neighborhood. See lots of ponds and koi in person that way. In fact there is a koi show in Vienna on the 8-9.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

MCA
    Thanks, I will try I need to up my lithium!
    I love them too much. I guess I am trying to make up for all they have been through.
    I am just as bad with my parrots and dogs

Use the emotions and energy to motivate your education. Remember how you feel does not make the water quality any better ot undo the past. It is what you do (or don't don) that gives the koi the home they need.

Jim was "spot on" in joining a koi club. There is the ZNA club in the DC area. You are also sitting in the middle of MAKC terriitory.

Go to the ZNA show John referenced. The last weekend of September, go to Koi America. Koi America is hosted by MAKC and is the largest show on the east coast.

You should consider reading at least the first 4 books on this list: Reference Material On Nishikigoi And Nishikigoi Ponds - KoiShack
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Banned

Clubs and Knowledge

I will join the clubs this afternoon. You're not going to get rid of me that easily... Years ago I did join MACK. Thats how I got my fish.

I have the books on the bottom of your list. All but one.
    I had seen this post lurking on another list last week. Yes, I read the whole post
    Koi health and disease
    The cult of the koi
    Tetra encyclopedia of koi
    Kokugyo

I ordered:
    Koi Kichi
    Koi Living Jewels of the Orient
    Manual of Koi Health

I'll rob a bank next week and get Koi 2 Kichi. That should Keep me busy. And stop annoying all for awhile Lori
    I still have two questions to post first.

Quote Originally Posted by UP ALL NIGHT!! View Post
    I will join the clubs this afternoon..
    Come by the show you can sign up for the club in person. I'll be there as well as most of the club. We'll also have 30 tanks of show koi for you to look at and more importantly you should attend the wet lab on saturday. Its all about how to treat sick koi/ponds. They'll show you how to use a scope and give injections etc. Anyway I should be there for the whole show since I'm one of the volunteers so anybody working the show should be able to point me out if you want to stop by and say hi.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Put on a life jacket, pour a rocks glass 1/2 full of Dimple Pinch... neat, sit on the edge of the pond wall with your feet dangling in the water, and sip the scotch slowly... Much more pleasant than Lithium
    Point being, give yourself the chance to enjoy them a bit more, and stress out a bit less. A little personal "down time" with your wet pets will help to clear your mind of all the stress and self imposed pressure and help you make good choices for your pond.
    Running too far ahead of yourself can be just as frustrating as letting things get out of hand, and it sounds like you've been sprinting. Koi are a lot more like a marathon than a series of 100 yard dashes, so you need to pace yourself. Your TT ideas both sound fine, so I doubt there is a bad choice to be made there. Build one, let it run a while, and then see if you really need a protein fractionator.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast